PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Coordinator - New Executive Position

Bob Armstrong
02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I had hoped that the original David Lavin motion on Roles of CFC Executive ( Motion 2010-01 ) was going to be passed with amendments. But in GL # 3, Eric has now ruled it out of order due to Lyle Craver now withdrawing as seconder. Therefore, one of the new executive positions I had hoped for, Tournament Coordinator, died.

So myself and Governor Mark Bluvshtein, are about to file a motion to add the Tournament Coordinator position to the Executive. This position was originally discussed on this board a while ago, in the context of amending Motion 2010-01. But we thought it best to present it again, since Eric has confirmed that he likes the idea of motions being presented for public input before being filed.

The motion is:

Motion # 1 - Amending Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers - Tournament Coordinator

February 11, 2010.

Moved: Robert Armstrong Seconded: Mark Bluvshtein

That there be added to Bylaw 3 , Duties of Officers, a new Section 8A dealing with “ Tournament Coordinator “, as follows:

“ Tournament Coordinator

8A. ( a ) The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country.
( b ) The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship
The Canadian Closed Championship

( c ) The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator. The Tournament Coordinator will then oversee and work with the Olympiad Coordinator re the National and Women’s Olympiad Teams.

Commentary:

This position is a valuable addition to the Executive, and is in line with the CFC’s main obligation to promote chess in Canada; it also strengthens the CFC role with respect to elite chess. Organizers in the field need CFC support, and this support should be located right within the Executive. Our bidding system for national championships is fragile, and in need of enhancement, which this does to some extent.
The creation of a section number for the section is technical, to make it integrate into the current Bylaw 3.
The CFC already has an Olympiad Coordinator. As to the Olympiad Coordinator, Section 12 of the CFC Handbook - The Olympiad Regulations, section 1201, states:

" 1201. The CFC Executive shall appoint an Olympiad Coordinator "

We think the proper way to handle this is to have the Executive delegate the responsibility for appointment of the Olympiad Coordinator to the Tournament Coordinator. Then under the Olympiad Regulations, the Tournament Coordinator will appoint the Olympiad Coordinator. It shall then be his responsibility to oversee and work with the Olympiad Coordinator. The issue here is that now some one person right in the Executive will be responsible for the Olympiad as a primary responsibility of theirs, and to support the Olympiad Coordinator.

Any comments/questions you have on this new position would be welcome.

Bob & Mark

Wolfgang(Wilf) FERNER
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Bob: Eh, I finally got access to this forum!
Question: Under section 8Aa why is there no mention of the TDOCP section 20
of the CFC Handbook?

Wilf Ferner

Bob Armstrong
02-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi Wilf:

You had me on this one : TDOCP section 20 ?? What is that??

Off to the Handbook to learn something - TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR & ORGANIZER CERTIFICATION PROGRAM.

Our new section 8A states:

“ Tournament Coordinator

8A. ( a ) The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country.

This would definitely include promotion of the certification program - " develop and train ". It is best, I think, to keep the Handbook from becoming duplicative, and to keep the sections as simple as possible. So I would not favour making a specific reference here to another section of the Handbook. The Tournament Coordinator will be well aware of the section, and we can be assured s/he will use it in his/her position.

Bob