PDA

View Full Version : Public Relations Coordinator - New Executive Position

Bob Armstrong
02-13-2010, 08:46 AM
I had hoped that the original David Lavin motion on Roles of CFC Executive ( Motion 2010-01 ) was going to be passed with amendments. But Eric has now ruled it out of order due to Lyle Craver now withdrawing as seconder. Therefore, one of the new executive positions I had hoped for, Public Relations Coordinator, died.

So myself and Governor Michael von Keitz, are about to file a motion to add the Public Relations Coordinator position to the Executive. This position was originally discussed on this board a while ago, in the context of amending Motion 2010-01. But we thought it best to present it again, since Eric has confirmed that he likes the idea of motions being presented for public input before being filed.

The motion is:

" Motion # 3 - Amending Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers – Public Relations Coordinator

February 11, 2010

Moved: Robert Armstrong Seconded: Michael von Keitz

That there be added to Bylaw 3 , Duties of Officers, a new Section 8C dealing with “ Public Relations Coordinator “, as follows:

“ 8C Public Relations Coordinator

8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will, among other things:

- work with chess clubs and organizers across Canada to raise the profile of the CFC and chess
generally;
- work with the editor of the Canadian Chess News E-newsletter to develop content that is club specific;
- work with the Canadian Chess News editor and celebrity chess commentators to develop paid content that raises the profile of the e-newsletter and the CFC and chess generally.
- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture.
Commentary:

This position is a valuable addition to the Executive.
We think this position is essential to CFC projecting a favourable public image and meeting its objective of “ chess promotion “.The section highlights the duties of this officer as both improving the “ image of the CFC “ ; and equally doing “ chess promotion”. The CFC needs to improve as well its media relations in relation to chess promotion. So a separate duty has been specified to show that this office will deal with chess promotion in the mainstream media. "

Any comments you have would be welcomed.

Bob

Jonathan Berry
02-13-2010, 02:57 PM
If such a post is wanted, and a person willing/avid to do it, couldn't the posting be created as a Special Officer? After a few years of (let's hope positive) experience, then consider making it an Executive post. Another post in the same ilk would be Fundraiser.

The creation of new Executive posts reminds me of the Cowbird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbird), which lays its eggs in other birds' nests. I don't know why.

Kerry Liles
02-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Commentary:

This position is a valuable addition to the Executive.
We think this position is essential to CFC projecting a favourable public image and meeting its objective of “ chess promotion “.The section highlights the duties of this officer as both improving the “ image of the CFC “ ; and equally doing “ chess promotion”. The CFC needs to improve as well its media relations in relation to chess promotion. So a separate duty has been specified to show that this office will deal with chess promotion in the mainstream media. "

Any comments you have would be welcomed.

Bob

In my opinion, we don't need more members on the Executive, we simply need a functional Executive. Too much of the CFC effort (such as it is) is wasted on procedural nonsense, posturing, turf wars and indifference. Very little effort is directed toward anything to do with chess. The Provincial Associations do nothing more than redirect the Provincial levy to local leagues - that entire layer should be eliminated - direct affiliation with the CFC.

Christopher Mallon
02-13-2010, 07:04 PM
We already HAVE a PR coordinator as a special officer if I recall correctly. Also a general Fundraising Coordinator (created at the same time). Nobody has ever volunteered to run for either position.

Bob Armstrong
02-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Chris:

Putting the position onto the Executive does two things:

1. it shows the CFC is serious about its public image and chess promotion;
2. it makes the position an important one, one that people will run/volunteer for, to sit on the Executive.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
02-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Why not simply make the VP responsible for public relations?

Bob Armstrong
02-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Chris:

We thought being responsible for both CFC image and chess promotion, including relations with mainstream media, would be a full position on its own. I know for example that Stijn currently is responsible for all communications with EKG/Gerry by the governors. He is also to assist the Pres.. I think it all
would be too much, and that public relations might suffer, due to the VP being on call due to his positon.

What do others think?

Bob

Bob Gillanders
02-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Chris:

2. it makes the position an important one, one that people will run/volunteer for, to sit on the Executive.

Bob

I agree with making the Public Relations Coordinator and Fundraising Coordinator two new full executive positions. We need to recognize the importance of these long neglected functions and get someone focused on these tasks, and nothing else.:)

Bob Armstrong
02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Bob:

We're in agreement on the Public Relations Coordinator.

But on the fundraising position - in the past, the practice was to " hire " a fundraiser, based on " commission ". I think this is needed to get someone to really go at the task. I don't think it can be a volunteer position - there is a fundraising committee already ( volunteer ), but we have heard little from it. So I don't see it as an executive position, but as a " contract " position.

Others' thoughts on this?

Bob

Peter McKillop
02-14-2010, 12:49 PM
In my opinion, we don't need more members on the Executive, we simply need a functional Executive. Too much of the CFC effort (such as it is) is wasted on procedural nonsense, posturing, turf wars and indifference. Very little effort is directed toward anything to do with chess. The Provincial Associations do nothing more than redirect the Provincial levy to local leagues - that entire layer should be eliminated - direct affiliation with the CFC.

Amen! Well said, Kerry. My only suggestion would be to add the words "and ethical" between the words "functional" and "Executive" in your first sentence. Maybe there will be an executive declaration to this effect in GL#3 (I haven't read it yet but I can hardly wait!!). :)

Kerry Liles
02-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Amen! Well said, Kerry. My only suggestion would be to add the words "and ethical" between the words "functional" and "Executive" in your first sentence. Maybe there will be an executive declaration to this effect in GL#3 (I haven't read it yet but I can hardly wait!!). :)

GL#3 is on the CFC website now...

Jonathan Berry
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Chris:

Bob

Let me review: the CFC has a Special Officer post for Public Relations Coordinator, but it's unfilled because ... nobody's interested?

So you want to make the same unfilled post an Executive position and you think the sun will shine in glory.

Further comment is unnecessary.

Bob Armstrong
02-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Jonathan:

Yup !

$ 10 says that when the motion is passed by the governors, the executive will fill the position within 2 months ( bet only open to J.B. ). The winner donates the $ 20 to the Olympiad Fund.

Bob

Ken Craft
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh, so your applying for the position, Bob? 8^))

Caesar Posylek
02-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes. Bob is the best candidate for that position without any doubts.