PDA

View Full Version : Governors' Discussion Board

Bob Armstrong
11-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Will all Governors please check the Governors' Discussion Board for an important item to be debated. Thanks.

Bob

Gordon Ritchie
11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Bob:
I am on the board and see nothing.
Gordon

Ken Craft
11-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Are you in the Governors' section, Gordon?

Bob Armstrong
11-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Gordon:

It is the top item on the private Governors' Discussion Board.

Thanks for responding and taking time to consider it.

Bob

Gordon Ritchie
11-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry to be so obtuse. It has been a while since I felt the need to go the CFC governors' board.
How do I get to the governor's board? It does not show up as a private board when I log in.

Bob Armstrong
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Gordon:

Click on the link " Forums " at the top. It will then give you the 2 public forums, the tournament page, and the Governors' Forum links.

Let me know if you still have problems. I assume you are alreadyi registered and have access. Otherwise you have to contact Chris Mallon to register.

Bob

Gordon Ritchie
12-01-2009, 11:02 PM
After repeated attempts to contact Mr Mallon to put me back in the system, I have come to the conclusion that he has been captured by aliens and transported to another galaxy. I guess I will simply have to settle for the public board. Wait a minute. I can simply use ChessTalk and ignore the CFC site entirely. Perhaps that is the intention. If so, it has succeeded.
To all my fellow governors, may your deliberations be wise and fruitful.:)

Bob Gillanders
12-02-2009, 12:54 AM
In my humble opinion, the Governors Discussion Board should be scrapped. Maybe a good idea in theory, but in practice, cajoling enough governors to visit the site regularly, enough to give the site relevance, is a herculean task.

I found the only reliable vehicle for governor communication was email. Go back to what works and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. :p

Bob Armstrong
12-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Hi Bob:

Actually, we are now trying a combination of your suggestion and the Governors' Discussion Board.

Besides putting the notice here asking governors to come to their board to debate an important issue, I sent all 56 ( that is the correct number, including the 1 extra governor Ontario has, that it shouldn't ) governors an e-mail as you suggested, notifying them of a posting, and to come to the board.

The board is so much better than all kinds of e-mails flying back and forth into everyone's in-box. You can post an opinion, and then see the individual replies, without having to go through multiple e-mails to see who is saying what about who's point. So I think that the board can be useful, where it is needed.

Though generally I prefer that governors discuss non-confidential issues here , on the members' board, where dialogue can occur between governors/executive/members.

Bob

John Coleman
12-02-2009, 01:50 AM
After repeated attempts to contact Mr Mallon to put me back in the system, I have come to the conclusion that he has been captured by aliens and transported to another galaxy.A few weeks ago, I had occasion to require Chris's help... he was fine for a few days, responding to emails almost immediately. Then he would go silent for a few days. Rinse and repeat.

I formed the theory that asking Chris to do anything drove him into a catatonic state, and it took him a few days to recover. However, I like your "aliens" theory. The truth may be, of course, that he has a real life, to which he occasionally attends.

Bob Gillanders
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Bob,

Send out the hounds, a few CFC governors may have escaped!:eek:

I had 61 governors last year, and now you only have 56 (including the extra).

Now the number of governors is not a fixed number, but a drop of 6 (5+1). That doesn't sound correct. Have you confirmed your list with Lyle?

Bob

Bob Armstrong
12-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi Bob:

Yes, my list is right.

The difference is that we had thought that executive members were all govnernors at large, and could be replaced by their province. Gerry pointed out that this is not what the Handbook says. Only the President becomes a governor at large, who can have a replacement ( was a revelation to all of us ! ).

Bob

Fred McKim
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I have tried on multiple occasions (since shortly after we got this forum in place) to get access to this board (maybe I do even have access), all to no avail.

So Bob A, if you send the Governor's an e-mail to go to the Governor's forum, I'm not going to see anything. I read your e-mail, though.

Bob Armstrong
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Fred:

Governors have to be registered by the administrator, Chris Mallon, to access the private Goverors' Discussion Board. You should write Chris to get this done: cmallon@chess.ca .

Thanks for reading the e-mail . In the meantime, I will e-mail you the original post I made.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi Fred:

Governors have to be registered by the administrator, Chris Mallon, to access the private Goverors' Discussion Board. You should write Chris to get this done: cmallon@chess.ca .

I think that there are more than one administrator, at least I have seen that current Presidents have/had administrator's labels. In principle it should be a three-click process to promote the registered user to the Governor...