PDA

View Full Version : Junior Coordinator - Specifying Duties

Bob Armstrong
11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Governor Patrick McDonald and I are going to file a motion slightly amending the Motion 2010-01 with respect to its outline of Junior Coordinator duties. Here is our motion:

Motion # 9 - Amending Motion 2010-01 re Junior Coordinator

Moved: Robert Armstrong Seconded: Patrick McDonald

That the section of motion 2010-01 referring to “ Junior Coordinator “ be amended:

a) so that the section will be called Section 8B of Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers
b) by adding an “ s “ to the phrase “ Youth Chess Championship “..
c) by adding after the phrase as amended “ Youth Chess Championships “, the words “ and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships “.
d) by adding an “ s “ to the phrase “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship “.

Commentary:

The proposed section of Motion 2010-01 dealing with Junior Coordinator, after amendment, will state:

“ 8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the WYCC and for finding organizers for:

The Canadian Junior Championship
Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships
Canadian Youth Chess Championships :”

This has now been an Executive position for some time and should be listed in the Bylaw 3 dealing with Duties of Officers.
The giving of a Section 8B designation is technical in nature to make it integrate into the current Bylaw 3.
The making plural of Youth Chess Championship is to make it clear that the Coordinator is involved in YCC’s in all provinces, for all categories ( an amendment proposed by Governor John Coleman ). For a similar reason we have pluralized “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship “. We in Ontario have also had for some time now, a good experience with Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships, which feed players into the provincial YCC. The Junior Coordinator could assist in this aspect as well.

We would be pleased to receive any input you might have before we file this motion.

Thanks.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
11-20-2009, 12:47 AM
“ 8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the WYCC and for finding organizers for:

The Canadian Junior Championship...

Who will be responsible for participation in World Junior championships?

Bob Armstrong
11-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi Egis:

You are right - this needs to be included. I'll speak to Patrick to include it as well as the WYCC. As well, we need to include a kind of basket clause re any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, such as the Pan-American junior tournaments. Thanks.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
11-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Patrick agrees with the changes.

After amendment, the Section will state:

“ 8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship and the World Girls Championship and the WYCC, and any other FIDE-related junior tournament, for example any Pan-American junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for:

Canadian Youth Chess Championships :”

We would be pleased to receive any further input before we file the motion.

Bob

Michael Barron
11-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Thank you, Bob, for clarifying CFC Executive responsibilities!

I would suggest a few more amendments for the Junior Coordinator Section.

First of all, I think, we should list in this section all International Junior tournaments, which were neglected for a long time.

Something like this:
"The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad and any other International Junior tournaments."

Are you agree?

Bob Armstrong
11-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi Michael:

I see no harm in being more specific and naming the tournaments you have added. I will see if Patrick agrees.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
11-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks from Governor Patrick McDonald and I for the input on our motion to amend Motion 2010-01 re the Junior Coordinator.

We have now finalized the section as:

8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for:

Canadian Youth Chess Championships.

We hope to file the motion shortly. Though we will have missed the Friday, Nov. 20 deadline for GL #3, we hope Lyle may still be able to get it in.

Bob

Michael Barron
11-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks from Governor Patrick McDonald and I for the input on our motion to amend Motion 2010-01 re the Junior Coordinator.

We have now finalized the section as:

8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for:

Canadian Youth Chess Championships.

We hope to file the motion shortly. Though we will have missed the Friday, Nov. 20 deadline for GL #3, we hope Lyle may still be able to get it in.

Bob

Thank you, Bob, for amending the motion!

I think, this motion worth discussion, but not finalized yet - further amendments could be necessary.
We could, for example, declare that the Junior Coordinator will be responsible for finding organizers for school Chess Championships in all schools throughout Canada, but is it realistic?
We need to create a hierarchical multi-leveled structure with the proper responsibilities on every level.
The CFC Junior Coordinator should be responsible for finding organizers for Canadian Junior competitions,
Provincial Junior Coordinator - for Provincial Junior competitions,
and so on down to the school level.

Overwise we could pass as many motions as we can, but the real work wouldn't be done.
Are you agree?

Bob Armstrong
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Michael:

As you noted, some of the international junior/youth tournaments have not been very high priority for the Junior Coordinators ( we added them in at your suggestion ). These need attention. Everything cannot be done at the same time - it is too big a task. Maybe we need to see what actual progress is made once these motions are passed. Will they just be window-dressing, or will they help shape our junior program in future. If they work, then we can look to see how we might further expand the position.

Even with the motion as it is now, Patrick has already expressed the fear that the duties description might scare people off from taking the job.

I suggest the motion is sufficient for the time being. It improves things significantly. Let's get it through and see how it works. Then we'll be in position to evaluate something like a role in Canadian school chess ( remember CMA is there right now, and many feel this is a good division of roles between the CFC and CMA ).

Bob

Michael Barron
11-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Michael:

As you noted, some of the international junior/youth tournaments have not been very high priority for the Junior Coordinators ( we added them in at your suggestion ). These need attention. Everything cannot be done at the same time - it is too big a task. Maybe we need to see what actual progress is made once these motions are passed. Will they just be window-dressing, or will they help shape our junior program in future. If they work, then we can look to see how we might further expand the position.

Even with the motion as it is now, Patrick has already expressed the fear that the duties description might scare people off from taking the job.

I suggest the motion is sufficient for the time being. It improves things significantly. Let's get it through and see how it works. Then we'll be in position to evaluate something like a role in Canadian school chess ( remember CMA is there right now, and many feel this is a good division of roles between the CFC and CMA ).

Bob

Hi Bob:

Sorry, if I was not clear enough...

I agree with Patrick - the motion as it is now might scare people off from taking the job.

That's why I suggest to remove from it the line:
"Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships"
- it's not a responsibility of the CFC Junior Coordinator, it's responsibility of Provincial and Regional Junior Coordinators.

Bob Armstrong
11-25-2009, 01:15 AM
It is an interesting point you raise. The CFC has set up the new YCC system, and so feels responsible to make sure the provinces organize them. Should we therefore say the Junior Coordinator is primarily responsible?

You suggest making it clear that the Provincial Junior Coordinator is primarily responsible to find the organizers for the YCC and Regional Qualifier YCC's. This would leave the Junior Coordinator in the role of " assisting " the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding YCC/Regional Qualifier YCC's organizers.

This seems reasonable. I will approach Patrick on amending the section to read:

8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships.

Does this seem reasonable?

I think the Junior Coordinator does have a role in the YCC's. I don't think we should just delete that role. For the CFC system to operate there have to be YCC's, and the Junior Coordinator at least has to oversee that this happens.

Bob

Michael Barron
11-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Thank you, Bob!

Now your motion looks much better!

I would add as well Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship to Junior Coordinator responsibilities.

Bob Armstrong
11-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Michael:

I don't think we will do that. The tournament involves many students who are over 20 years of age.

We feel we've gotten good feedback, and the changes have improved the motion. We are satisfied with it now. Thanks for your help Michael.

Bob

Egidijus Zeromskis
11-26-2009, 11:22 AM
8B. Junior Coordinator

The Junior Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating our participation in the World Junior Championship, the World Girls Championship, the WYCC, the Pan-American Junior and Youth Championships, the North American Junior and Youth Championships, the World Youth Chess Olympiad, and any other FIDE-related junior tournaments, and for finding organizers for the Canadian Junior Championship and the Canadian Youth Chess Championships, and for assisting the Provincial Junior Coordinators in finding organizers for the Youth Chess Championships, and any Regional Qualifier Youth Chess Championships

After rereading I think it is just too crowded with tournaments' names. Why not to name them as FIDE junior and youth tournaments (you may find the whole list at
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=27&view=category
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook?id=28&view=category
) and National junior and youth tournaments (and creating the list).

Other question is the meaning of "our participation". The second section of the Handbook (http://www.chess.ca/section_2.htm ) has only one mentioning of "our" - "IN WITNESS WHEREOF we have hereunto set our hands at the City of Kingston this day of , 1976.", and probably meaning "The applicants are individuals...:

KALEV PUGI, Chemical Engineer, 85 Casterton Ave., Kingston, Ontario
MALCOLM COLLINS Physicist, 59 Brian Boulevard, Waterdown, Ontario
JOHN REINBERGS Credit Union Manager, 1891 Briar Crook Cres., Mississauga, Ontario"

Thus, will a Junior Coordinator be responsible of these persons participations in all these tournaments? :D

---

Another work for a Junior coordinator - to lead the Junior chess not only in coordinating participation but development in principal (coaching, chess and normal schools, etc)

Bob Armstrong
11-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi Egis:

Some good points, but Patrick and I feel satisfied with the current amended motion. I think any further changes will have to be brought in future by motion by someone else, with their specific concerns.

But to answer your points if I can:

1. Michael Barron, current Junior Coordinator, was the one who felt that specifying the major tournaments would help make sure they didn't get neglected, rather than just using some geneic phrases;
2. " our " participation refers to Canada's and the CFC's participation. We feel that this implication is clear enough.
3. as to the juniors involved internationally, the Junior Coordinator will help them with the details of their participation. He will help find organizers for the national tournaments, and help promote them to our juniors. The legislation cannot say everything - it sets a framework, and then it is worked out on the ground as things proceed.
4. As to development of junior chess among the public generally, we have not included this. The duties already look daunting, just dealing with the junior tournaments. And there will be a new public relations coordinator whose job it will be to promote chess generally to the public.

Bob