PDA

View Full Version : Media Request - CBC's Test the Nation

Michael Barron
11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Dear chess friends,

I got the following email:

"I am an Associate Producer for CBC’s Test the Nation: IQ and I am looking for chess players to join our studio audience on January 24, 2010.

Test the Nation is a live two-hour special that surveys six in-studio teams as well as viewers across the country. This year, we are bringing back the popular first season with another IQ test. For more information on the program, please go to www.cbc.ca/testthenation

The test will consist of 50 questions in language, math, perception, memory and logic. The individual IQ scores of participants writing the test will not be revealed – except that of the person with the highest IQ. Otherwise, we reveal the average scores of each team and specific groups within the studio, such as women vs. men, hair colour, and so on.

There will be six teams of 30 people participating in studio and thousands of Canadians participating online. The idea is to test society’s preconceived notions of intelligence based on occupation or area of interest. This year’s teams will be Politicians, Contact Sports Athletes, Twins, Religious Leaders, Atheists and Nerds – with specific theories and stereotypes on intelligence behind each.

For the “Nerds” team, we are putting together a group of people who, like myself, proudly call themselves nerds. It's meant in a positive way - so far, the team includes physicists, space engineers, mathematicians and sci-fi fans. And I'm now looking for a few chess players to join in, or a small team of chess players.

Please let me know whether you could look into whether any GTCL members would be interested to join the Nerds team on Sunday, January 24th in our Toronto studio.

I would appreciate a reply as soon as possible. You can reach me at 416-205-5991. If you have any questions or would like more details on the test and the other teams, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Justine Lewkowicz
Associate Producer - Test the Nation
CBC / Radio-Canada
Phone: 416-205-5991
Fax: 416-205-3895
justine.lewkowicz@cbc.ca

205 Wellington Street W
Toronto, ON M5V 3G7"

Please let Justine know if you're interested to join the Nerds team on Sunday, January 24th in CBC Toronto studio.

Ken Craft
11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
nerds team--How low can the CBC sink?

Michael Barron
11-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi Ken,

Please don't be too harsh! ;)

It's meant in a positive way - so far, the team includes physicists, space engineers, mathematicians and sci-fi fans.

Of course, if you can't laugh of yourself, it's not for you... :D

Ken Craft
11-23-2009, 08:24 AM
I think it would perpetuate the stereotype of chessplayers, Michael.

Jonathan Berry
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
I hope that chess in Toronto is able to field a good team--and the winner.

There is a story that in the 60s, the U of T bridge club and the chess club competed in a bridge and chess match. Of course, the chess club won every game in the chess match--but also won the bridge match!

Nerds: not just a bunch of pretty brains.

Of course, you could counteract the dowdy image of chess by fielding a young, athletic-looking team which includes a good proportion of women. You're never going to change a stereotype by not competing.

Jonathan Berry
11-28-2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=41

He won 50,000 soles, er, Australian dollars.

Edit: Here's version with photos:

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/chess-player-wins-beauty-and-the-geek/#more-19259