PDA

View Full Version : New Executive Position - External Coordinator

Bob Armstrong
11-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Governor Gary Gladstone and I are intending to amend Motion 2010-01 in GL # 2, in regards to its creation of a new executive position of " External Coordinator ". Here is our motion:

" Motion # 10 - Amending Motion 2010-01 re External Coordinator

Moved: Robert Armstrong Seconded: Gary Gladstone

That the section of motion 2010-01 referring to “ External Coordinator “ be deleted and a new Section 8C of Bylaw 3, Duties of Officers be substituted for it as follows:

“ External Coordinator

8C. The External. Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the External Coordinator will, among other things:

- work with chess clubs and organizers across Canada to raise the profile of the CFC and chess
generally;
- work with the editor of the Canadian Chess News E-newsletter to develop content that is club specific;
- work with the Canadian Chess News editor and celebrity chess commentators to develop paid content that raises the profile of the e-newsletter and the CFC and chess generally.
- deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can. Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other positive aspects of the chess culture.
Commentary:

The proposed section of Motion 2010-01 dealing with External Coordinator states:

“ External Coordinator

The EC will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and as such will work with chess clubs across Canada to raise the profile of the CFC; work with the editor of the webzine to develop content that is club specific work with the editor and celebrity chess commentators to develop paid content that raises the profile of the webzine and the CFC “

This is a valuable addition to the Executive. We think it is essential to CFC meeting its objective of “ chess promotion “.However the section needs some amending to expand and highlight the duties of this officer. The existing section focuses on improving the “ image of the CFC “ ; we have given equal billing to “ chess promotion”. The CFC needs to improve as well its media relations in relation to chess promotion. So a separate duty has been specified to show that this office will deal with chess promotion in the mainstream media. We feel our amendment of the motion section strengthens the setting out of the position. "

We would be pleased to receive any input before we file our motion.

Bob

Michael Barron
11-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you, Bob!

It's really essential for CFC to meet its objective of “ chess promotion “.
However I don't like the title " External Coordinator ".
Maybe " Public Relations Coordinator " would be better?

Bob Armstrong
11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Hi Michael:

I agree - let me check with Gary Gladstone and see what he thinks.

Bob

Bob Armstrong
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Gary agrees to the change of title of the new officer from External Coordinator to Public Relations Coordinator.

Bob