PDA

View Full Version : 5A7 Adding the champion and runner-up in Canadian Women's Closed to Voting Members

Vladimir Drkulec
04-11-2021, 11:28 AM
By adding the Canadian Women's champion and runner-up to the voting member list we would have the opportunity to add two more women to the ranks of the voting members. Let us discuss this. Please be civil.

Christopher Mallon
04-11-2021, 11:31 AM
By giving the Canadian Women's champion and runner-up to the voting member list we would have the opportunity to add two more women to the ranks of the voting members. Let us discuss this. Please be civil.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Who wouldn't be civil about this?

Christopher Field
04-11-2021, 02:46 PM
I believe that you meant to say: "By adding the Canadian Women 's champion and runner-up to the voting member list . . ."

Christopher Field.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-11-2021, 03:13 PM
I believe that you meant to say: "By adding the Canadian Women 's champion and runner-up to the voting member list . . ."

Christopher Field.

Agreed. It has been a very hectic few days.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Is it just a discussion?

Otherwise it requires a motion, and especially the proper motion as it regards Class A members. If it will be any kind of the By-Law change there are more requirements to proceed.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-11-2021, 03:53 PM
At this point this is discussion.

Pierre Dénommée
04-12-2021, 09:48 PM
I am obviously in favour.

Lyle Craver
04-13-2021, 04:54 PM
At this point this is discussion.

As long as we make it clear that their province doesn't get an extra VM if she is already a VM (for instance we have several times had someone who was already a Governor / VM qualify by this method - if memory serves Noritsyn was the most recent)

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members.

I would also require the organizer to forward the x-table to the Secretary as it's the Secretary who manages the VM list. Preferable with full contact info for those qualifying. This has sometimes been an issue with the Canadian Closed. You would be astonished at the number of times I've had difficulty making contact with these people.

I'm not trying to add red tape here but the Office of a Voting Member includes both privileges and responsibilities and it's NOT all one way!

Vladimir Drkulec
04-13-2021, 05:24 PM
As long as we make it clear that their province doesn't get an extra VM if she is already a VM (for instance we have several times had someone who was already a Governor / VM qualify by this method - if memory serves Noritsyn was the most recent)

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members.

I would also require the organizer to forward the x-table to the Secretary as it's the Secretary who manages the VM list. Preferable with full contact info for those qualifying. This has sometimes been an issue with the Canadian Closed. You would be astonished at the number of times I've had difficulty making contact with these people.

I'm not trying to add red tape here but the Office of a Voting Member includes both privileges and responsibilities and it's NOT all one way!

I think in most cases they will already be a WGM or WIM so they are already honorary members.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-13-2021, 05:54 PM

Also - any person qualifying by this method would _have_ to be a CFC member - which is not minor due to the CFC-FQE agreement. Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members

Regarding the first point -- yes, it shall be worded properly. If the champion/runner-up are already class A members on a provincial list (or by some other means; like FQE; like being nominated/elected for any territory); then for the period from the end of the championship till the next AGM - no changes on a provincial list etc. In principle no new "elections". Maybe some exceptions if the championship finishes just after the AGM. Unless someone would express a different opinion, let's try to keep this way.

Second point -- this shall be somehow better defined in ByLaws in general. What you're requesting is that the (potential) Class A members be Class B members too. However, your reasons for that I think is not right -- if the persons becomes the Class A member -- (s)he is a member of the CFC. Time of the Board of Governors are past.

On other hand the person shall agree to become the class A member after winning the championship. Thus, on a procedural matter she shall apply. That could solve some communications troubles.

Pierre Dénommée
04-13-2021, 10:12 PM
Legally you CAN'T have a non-member on your Board of Governors as there are legal duties attached to the office which cannot be imposed on non-members.

Legally you can, unless the bylaws explicitly requires directors to be members.

The CFC-FQE agreement is also constitutional because it sets the number of FQE VM.

Qualifications of directors

126 (1) The following persons are disqualified from being a director of a corporation:

(a) anyone who is less than 18 years of age;

(b) anyone who is incapable;

(c) a person who is not an individual; and

(d) a person who has the status of a bankrupt.

Marginal note:Membership

(2) Unless the by-laws otherwise provide, a director of a corporation is not required to be a member of the corporation.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-13-2021, 11:01 PM
Legally you can, unless the bylaws explicitly requires directors to be members.

The CFC-FQE agreement is also constitutional because it sets the number of FQE VM.

You are required to be a member of the CFC or the FQE in order to be a voting member or a member of the board.

Christopher Mallon
04-14-2021, 11:22 AM
I don't see this as being a major obstacle. We have the same rule for the Closed - and the same potential issue.

We used to have a rule that Governors were only actually Governors during the period when they had active memberships... if we don't still have that, putting it back in would certainly fix this problem and any future ones along the same lines.

Patricia Gamliel
04-14-2021, 01:40 PM
Regarding the first point -- yes, it shall be worded properly. If the champion/runner-up are already class A members on a provincial list (or by some other means; like FQE; like being nominated/elected for any territory); then for the period from the end of the championship till the next AGM - no changes on a provincial list etc. In principle no new "elections". Maybe some exceptions if the championship finishes just after the AGM. Unless someone would express a different opinion, let's try to keep this way.

Second point -- this shall be somehow better defined in ByLaws in general. What you're requesting is that the (potential) Class A members be Class B members too. However, your reasons for that I think is not right -- if the persons becomes the Class A member -- (s)he is a member of the CFC. Time of the Board of Governors are past.

On other hand the person shall agree to become the class A member after winning the championship. Thus, on a procedural matter she shall apply. That could solve some communications troubles.

I agree. We should be able to review this point in the bylaws review.

Pierre Dénommée
04-14-2021, 02:18 PM
You are required to be a member of the CFC or the FQE in order to be a voting member or a member of the board.

That is in the bylaws, not in the NFP Act.

Pierre Dénommée
04-14-2021, 02:23 PM
There is something called Freedom of Association that forbids any non-profit from forcing anyone to be a member. Saying that the Champion is automatically a class A member is technically illegal if he does not want to, but it would be very unlikely that she decline.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-14-2021, 06:05 PM

It is in our current bylaws.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-14-2021, 09:02 PM
It is in our current bylaws.

It has several statements in your quotation. Which do you refer to?

Vladimir Drkulec
04-14-2021, 09:11 PM
That is in the bylaws, not in the NFP Act.

True, you are correct.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-14-2021, 09:13 PM
It has several statements in your quotation. Which do you refer to?

In order to be a class A member, you have to have paid a membership fee and have a valid class B membership as well. After one month with no class B membership you would lose your class A membership if we enforced that closely.

Simon_Li
04-17-2021, 09:42 AM
I am in favor of the move to adding two more women VMs.