PDA

View Full Version : 5A6 Increasing the CFC board size by adding Women's Coordinator

Vladimir Drkulec
04-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Michael Barron has a suggestion to increase the CFC board size by adding the women's coordinator to the board. Let's discuss.

Christopher Mallon
04-11-2021, 11:29 AM
I think this is a good idea, however I only support this if the position is reserved for a woman except in cases where none are nominated.

Brian Clarke
04-11-2021, 01:14 PM
I would like to see a description or list of responsibilities that would be assigned to the women's coordinator before deciding on this addition to the board.

Michael Barron
04-11-2021, 06:05 PM
For the record, this is the Motion presented to CFC Executive:

Include CFC Women's Coordinator into CFC Board of Directors.
As a result, CFC Board of Directors shall consist of 9 Executive Officers:
1) President,
2) Vice-President,
3) Secretary,
4) Treasurer,
5) FIDE Representative,
6) Women’s Coordinator,
7) Youth Coordinator,
8) Director of Corporate Affairs,
9) Director at Large.

Of course, any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Michael Barron
04-11-2021, 06:15 PM
I would like to see a description or list of responsibilities that would be assigned to the women's coordinator before deciding on this addition to the board.

Brian,

This is not a new position - CFC already has Women's Coordinator.
The list of responsibilities remains the same as now, plus participation and voting at the CFC Board meetings.

Christopher Mallon
04-11-2021, 10:38 PM
Well, is it a suggestion or is it a motion?

This meeting is very confusing. And for the first time (as far as I can recall) not all of the threads had been created prior to the start of the meeting.

I guess we are just winging it now?

Vladimir Drkulec
04-12-2021, 02:10 AM
Well, is it a suggestion or is it a motion?

This meeting is very confusing. And for the first time (as far as I can recall) not all of the threads had been created prior to the start of the meeting.

I guess we are just winging it now?

Add that to the laundry list of charges.

Victor Plotkin
04-12-2021, 08:12 AM
The faster CFC comes back to traditional 7 directors - the better.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Reserving the women's coordinator position for a woman is problematic. Elevating the position to the board is also problematic. The implication is that a woman shouldn't aspire to be treasurer, vice-president, president or FIDE rep. I know of several women who would be very good in any of those positions. We do not need more people on the board just to have more people on the board. We need more people on the board who are working and contributing and don't see their role as simple obstruction of every effort.

Egidijus Zeromskis
04-12-2021, 10:16 AM
Of course, any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Michael,

to put this in a proper path:

A motion
to increase the number of directors (At this moment it is 8, thus to 9)
AND
craft the amendment to the bylaws in the section of the officers by defining the Women's coordinator with duties and add "shall be a director".

If you'll do that fast, you'll be on the mercy of the Chair on the procedural matters.

There would be some serious questions/discussions - the motion itself; and like if that would pass, does the current Women's coordinator become the director by default? When shall the election be called? etc etc.

Vladimir Drkulec
04-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Michael,

to put this in a proper path:

A motion
to increase the number of directors (At this moment it is 8, thus to 9)
AND
craft the amendment to the bylaws in the section of the officers by defining the Women's coordinator with duties and add "shall be a director".

If you'll do that fast, you'll be on the mercy of the Chair on the procedural matters.

There would be some serious questions/discussions - the motion itself; and like if that would pass, does the current Women's coordinator become the director by default? When shall the election be called? etc etc.

Michael presented both of these ideas as discussion items possibly to be included in the AGM as motions. There was no talk of making it a motion in this meeting. As you know motions need three weeks notice.

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2021, 02:20 PM
Reserving the women's coordinator position for a woman is problematic. Elevating the position to the board is also problematic. The implication is that a woman shouldn't aspire to be treasurer, vice-president, president or FIDE rep. I know of several women who would be very good in any of those positions. We do not need more people on the board just to have more people on the board. We need more people on the board who are working and contributing and don't see their role as simple obstruction of every effort.

I see the implication being that a woman should be in charge of coordinating the women. I guess I'm more of an optimist than you?

Christopher Mallon
04-12-2021, 02:20 PM
The faster CFC comes back to traditional 7 directors - the better.

If you make that amendment to this motion I will second it.

Michael Barron
04-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Michael presented both of these ideas as discussion items possibly to be included in the AGM as motions. There was no talk of making it a motion in this meeting. As you know motions need three weeks notice.

Vlad is right - I presented both these ideas as discussion items to be included in the AGM as Motions for voting.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Aris Marghetis
04-12-2021, 09:38 PM
I dunno folks, this is fatiguing. We keep hearing about some current Executive member not doing this or that, or blocking this or that. Then at our recent Special Meeting, we had a questionably overseen expansion of our Executive to an even number. And now we're considering another expansion, with gender conditionality?

If I may suggest, let's take a step back, consolidate our Executive in time for the AGM, and if there's a motion, make it in time, or else refrain from "side ideas"?!

Michael Barron
04-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Include CFC Women's Coordinator into CFC Board of Directors.
As a result, CFC Board of Directors shall consist of 9 Executive Officers:
1) President,
2) Vice-President,
3) Secretary,
4) Treasurer,
5) FIDE Representative,
6) Women’s Coordinator,
7) Youth Coordinator,
8) Director of Corporate Affairs,
9) Director at Large.

Mr. President, please include this Motion into AGM Agenda for voting.

Patricia, could you please second it?