PDA

View Full Version : 4. Executive and Officer reports

Lyle Craver
12-12-2020, 03:31 AM
Members of the Executive and CFC Officers please post your reports in this section

Hal Bond
12-12-2020, 02:15 PM
FIDE Report

Congratulations to our newest IM, Mark Plotkin!

The 91st FIDE Congress was held online from November 30 – December 6. It was a great success, as is their brave, ongoing embrace of on-line solutions during COVID. Any glitches from “learning by doing”, as President Dvorkovich put it, were well worth it. Here are some highlights:

The Treasurer Reported the € 300K loss from 2019, and a forecast “small accounting loss” in 2020. FIDE actually spent some reserves in 2019 beyond the operating revenue and I expressed concern about that.

In 2021 FIDE is forecasting a very lucrative outcome from the World Championship match in Dubai, which is expected to follow expanded World Cups for both Open and Women’s divisions in Socchi.

The 2022 Olympiad is headed for Moscow and 2024 has been awarded to Budapest, Hungary. The organizers presented a very strong bid. They are also committed to a minimal carbon footprint, which will be a worthy challenge given that the hotels are some kilometers away.

I shared my dream with the President, inviting him to a few NHL games in Canada next season to kick start our Olympiad bid for 2026.

England’s Delegate Malcolm Pein teamed up with FIDE VP Nigel Short to present a motion requiring the Iran Chess Federation to end their blatant discriminatory actions against Israel. After consulting with our Executive, Canada’s written support was given to the motion. President Dvorkovich was ultimately able to draft a more universal resolution which was acceptable to everyone. Even though our letter is dated after the President’s solution, I am pleased that Canada is a supporter of record.

At the Medical Commission, issues surrounding Cannabis was discussed. It is a prohibited substance according to WADA. FIDE acknowledges that it is legal in many countries and they noted that “in competition” substance abuse was their primary concern. Some countries have their own anti-doping programs, paid by their governments. The cost for this programming in Canada is about $5000 per year and we do not intend to sign up. I suggested that anti -doping was the cost of doing business with the IOC and asked if it was worth it. The Chair found the perspective interesting.

The Planning and Development Commission (PDC) is the commission where I serve officially. There has been less money available for developing federations in the past year. Our commission has developed a Federation Management Manual consistent with other sport Federations, espousing best practices and resource optimization. The Manual should be ready for download by January 2021.

The Arbiters’ Commission is focussed on raising the bar for Arbiters across the board. They are calling for more uniform training for new Arbiters and refresher courses for all. Future attendees of FA seminars must already be National Arbiters (NA’s) Our National Arbiter program is among the most lax in the world. I am more convinced than ever that we need an Arbiters’ Commission with an enhanced education program and I hereby call for its formation. Aris Marghetis is the Arbiter for the job and he is available. I am willing to serve as Secretary.

The Commonwealth Chess Association will hold its 2021 championship online. The organizers in the UK are planning for early February and details are forthcoming.

Respectfully submitted
Hal Bond, FIDE Delegate, Canada
December 12, 2020

Vladimir Drkulec
12-13-2020, 01:22 PM
I shared my dream with the President, inviting him to a few NHL games in Canada next season to kick start our Olympiad bid for 2026.

If we are talking about 2021 the plans that I have read do not include fans in NHL stands as of yet. Have you talked to someone in government about sponsorship for this Olympiad bid?

England’s Delegate Malcolm Pein teamed up with FIDE VP Nigel Short to present a motion requiring the Iran Chess Federation to end their blatant discriminatory actions against Israel. After consulting with our Executive, Canada’s written support was given to the motion. President Dvorkovich was ultimately able to draft a more universal resolution which was acceptable to everyone. Even though our letter is dated after the President’s solution, I am pleased that Canada is a supporter of record.

Canada's support for Nigel Short's motion did not make it into any of the press coverage about this motion. We did draw the attention of the Iranian Federation who unleashed a barrage of criticism of the CFC at the FIDE online general assembly which FIDE president muted and deflected. In future, such a letter should probably have an executive motion and vote before being launched. If there is some FIDE event in Iran I would be concerned about Canadians participating as the Iranians have a history of politically motivated detentions. I think in all of our actions, concrete results are more important than virtue signalling which doesn't accomplish anything which benefits the CFC, Canadian players or even in this case Israeli players. I understand that sometimes we have to take quick decisions but this was not necessarily one of those cases.

This was presented in the context of a larger discussion of the Greek letter disputing the actions of the Verification committee or commission. I believe that I was the only one that expressed any sentiments on this question of the Iranian Federation's possible sanction and I was somewhat cautiously supportive of the idea. I don't want to belabour this but the process in this case was not a good one.

The Arbiters’ Commission is focussed on raising the bar for Arbiters across the board. They are calling for more uniform training for new Arbiters and refresher courses for all. Future attendees of FA seminars must already be National Arbiters (NA’s) Our National Arbiter program is among the most lax in the world. I am more convinced than ever that we need an Arbiters’ Commission with an enhanced education program and I hereby call for its formation. Aris Marghetis is the Arbiter for the job and he is available. I am willing to serve as Secretary.

I am sure we can look at this when there is a concrete proposal on the table. Remember that any items which require a vote need to be proposed three weeks in advance of a meeting so that we can provide statutory notice.

Lloyd Lombard
12-13-2020, 06:20 PM
I've always been of the view that politics should never be part of sports. In this case, I'd like to see the CFC simply put forth that Iran should only be permitted to put forth objections related to Israeli players playing if they have violated FIDE rules. Otherwise, that all qualified chess players should be permitted to play. I'd like to see the CFC make it very clear that political views have no place in the sports world. I fully realize that politics have been involved in sports for generations but it's time for a change.

Lloyd Lombard
12-13-2020, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see the CFC take the position that there is no place in sports for political views. Further that Iran, or any other country, can only oppose the playing of players if the individual player has violated FIDE rules.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-13-2020, 07:12 PM
I've always been of the view that politics should never be part of sports. In this case, I'd like to see the CFC simply put forth that Iran should only be permitted to put forth objections related to Israeli players playing if they have violated FIDE rules. Otherwise, that all qualified chess players should be permitted to play. I'd like to see the CFC make it very clear that political views have no place in the sports world. I fully realize that politics have been involved in sports for generations but it's time for a change.

I believe that the FIDE president's proposal to resolve the situation took care of that. We are dealing with a regime that sends would be assassins into other countries to target ambassadors of other countries and grabs citizens of the U.S. and Canada, tortures them and in some cases kills them. I don't think they are really concerned with what the CFC thinks of them though they did enjoy lobbing a few zingers at us at the FIDE general assembly.

Lloyd Lombard
12-13-2020, 08:46 PM
I believe that the FIDE president's proposal to resolve the situation took care of that. We are dealing with a regime that sends would be assassins into other countries to target ambassadors of other countries and grabs citizens of the U.S. and Canada, tortures them and in some cases kills them. I don't think they are really concerned with what the CFC thinks of them though they did enjoy lobbing a few zingers at us at the FIDE general assembly.

Agreed, I'm talking about a CFC long-term policy which guides CFC representatives at how to approach these issues at future conferences.

Pierre Dénommée
12-13-2020, 11:12 PM
Hal notified me that our Zone is the last to select a player for the Women World Cup. Our Zonal has been cancelled and nobody have been officially selected. I am awaiting the official deadline before deciding on the qualification process. An online tournament would be better then having a selection by rating, but we must have enough time to organize it. I got a copy of the draft FIDE Online rules which are important because we will be qualifying someone for the Women World Cup.

I was appointed as a director of the Francophone Chess Association in September until the AGM of December 5th. The AGM elected me for a four years mandate. So we now have Hal as vice-chair of the Commonwealth Chess Association and myself as a director for the Francophone Chess Association. We now cover both official languages. I will keep you informed of opportunities for our players. Actually, the Francophone standard chess (Tunisia) and rapid chess (France) Championships have been postponed indefinitely due to Covid-19. It wasn't possible to guarantee all the players entry into the host country for health reasons (nothing political). All those entering Tunisia from Canada would have been compelled to a quarantine of at least 10 days at the traveller's expense.

Respectfully Submitted,
Pierre Dénommée
CFC Womens' Coordinator

Pierre Dénommée
12-14-2020, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=Hal Bond;35540

[/QUOTE]

The FQE has a program that is more stringent then the CFC's. It is not advisable for a single country to have two arbiters certification stream. I am willing to join this team.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-14-2020, 12:41 AM
The FQE has a program that is more stringent then the CFC's. It is not advisable for a single country to have two arbiters certification stream. I am willing to join this team.

I was thinking about your FQE program when I read this. Probably we do not want to be putting up barriers to running tournaments at this time.

Aris Marghetis
12-14-2020, 09:00 AM
I agree with Pierre, my experience with the FQE program is that it is quite good. Therefore, I welcome Pierre's offer to be part of a new CFC Arbiters' Commission.

Aris Marghetis
12-14-2020, 02:50 PM
proposal: CFC Arbiters' Commission (perhaps "CFC-AC")

In my opinion, the two key people to start this off would be Hal and Pierre. Hal because he is by far the most experienced International Arbiter we have (Category A, World Championship, etc) - Over the years, Hal has very often had to perform the duties that an AC would perform. I think he's the obvious first CFC-AC Chair.

Then in addition to Hal, I propose Pierre as the first CFC-AC Secretary. This choice is based on multiple reasons. First, the FQE program seems quite good, and Pierre is very knowledgeable about it. It also helps that Pierre is from Quebec, and bilingual. I think that if we're going to build something new, then let's do it properly bilingual right from the beginning. Finally, over the years, Pierre has demonstrated the attention to written detail that a better Secretary should have.

Hoping that both Hal and Pierre accept, here are the next steps to consider:

1) In consultation with Hal, Pierre builds a motion for the CFC Executive, to establish the CFC-AC.
2) Hal Bond would be the Chair, and Pierre Denommee would be the Secretary.
3) Hal and Pierre would choose three Councillors, making the core CFC-AC a team of five IAs/FAs.
4) Then that core CFC-AC team will decide on whether to have another class of CFC-AC members (example: the FIDE Arbiters' Commission also has "Members")
5) I offer to serve on the new CFC-AC team. My personal top priority is establishing a national program for Arbiter development, from nothing to National Arbiter.

Best, Aris.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-14-2020, 03:40 PM
proposal: CFC Arbiters' Commission (perhaps "CFC-AC")

In my opinion, the two key people to start this off would be Hal and Pierre. Hal because he is by far the most experienced International Arbiter we have (Category A, World Championship, etc) - Over the years, Hal has very often had to perform the duties that an AC would perform. I think he's the obvious first CFC-AC Chair.

Then in addition to Hal, I propose Pierre as the first CFC-AC Secretary. This choice is based on multiple reasons. First, the FQE program seems quite good, and Pierre is very knowledgeable about it. It also helps that Pierre is from Quebec, and bilingual. I think that if we're going to build something new, then let's do it properly bilingual right from the beginning. Finally, over the years, Pierre has demonstrated the attention to written detail that a better Secretary should have.

Hoping that both Hal and Pierre accept, here are the next steps to consider:

1) In consultation with Hal, Pierre builds a motion for the CFC Executive, to establish the CFC-AC.
2) Hal Bond would be the Chair, and Pierre Denommee would be the Secretary.
3) Hal and Pierre would choose three Councillors, making the core CFC-AC a team of five IAs/FAs.
4) Then that core CFC-AC team will decide on whether to have another class of CFC-AC members (example: the FIDE Arbiters' Commission also has "Members")
5) I offer to serve on the new CFC-AC team. My personal top priority is establishing a national program for Arbiter development, from nothing to National Arbiter.

Best, Aris.

We're getting way ahead of ourselves here. No committee was proposed to the executive. No committee was proposed to the voting members in time to get a vote. Commissions are what they do at FIDE presumably because of Swiss law. What we have are committees. The word commission is not mentioned in the Canada Not For Profit Act.

In evaluating whether to set up such a committee we should look at what it is proposed that they should do and what you are proposing beyond the present practice. What are the costs that you are proposing to the CFC and the Arbiters. Further there are conflict of interest guidelines that have to be adhered to. I would need to understand a lot more of what is being proposed here before signing on to this.

We also have a full blown program which is provided by the FQE.

Is this something that should be done with an RFP?

Is this something that we should even be doing at this time when there are almost no tournaments taking place?

Aris Marghetis
12-14-2020, 04:43 PM
We're getting way ahead of ourselves here. No committee was proposed to the executive. No committee was proposed to the voting members in time to get a vote. Commissions are what they do at FIDE presumably because of Swiss law. What we have are committees. The word commission is not mentioned in the Canada Not For Profit Act.

In evaluating whether to set up such a committee we should look at what it is proposed that they should do and what you are proposing beyond the present practice. What are the costs that you are proposing to the CFC and the Arbiters. Further there are conflict of interest guidelines that have to be adhered to. I would need to understand a lot more of what is being proposed here before signing on to this.

We also have a full blown program which is provided by the FQE.

Is this something that should be done with an RFP?

Is this something that we should even be doing at this time when there are almost no tournaments taking place?

Maybe you're ascribing more to my post than needed. All I'm doing is suggesting that a proper proposal be prepared for the CFC Executive. It sounds like you think that's the right next step as well. I don't care if the word Committee is used rather than the word Commission (in other words, I can easily support that).

Regarding what this new Committee would do, I would think that a prime objective would be Arbiter development. Like I'm using almost the same words as my previous post. I also agree that the FQE program is good, which is why I'm recommending Pierre be an integral part of the foundation for such a new Committee.

To be honest, I'm kinda scratching my head, as we actually seem to AGREE on most points?! Why wouldn't we proceed with a proposal? There's no cost, no risks, and quite frankly, except for Quebec, Arbiter development in the rest of Canada is not as good as it should be. Won't this be the start of a good core program?!

I'll try calling you this afternoon, as it seems we agree much more than we disagree.

Aris Marghetis
12-14-2020, 04:58 PM
added to last post:

in case it's not clear, the proposal that I'm suggesting is NOT for THIS meeting:

it's to be prepared in a thoughtful timely manner for our next quarterly or AGM

Vladimir Drkulec
12-14-2020, 05:47 PM
added to last post:

in case it's not clear, the proposal that I'm suggesting is NOT for THIS meeting:

it's to be prepared in a thoughtful timely manner for our next quarterly or AGM

Aris and I talked on the phone and now I have a better understanding of what is being proposed.

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-14-2020, 10:31 PM
To be honest, I'm kinda scratching my head, as we actually seem to AGREE on most points?! Why wouldn't we proceed with a proposal? There's no cost, no risks, and quite frankly, except for Quebec, Arbiter development in the rest of Canada is not as good as it should be. Won't this be the start of a good core program?!

I think the program should consider a broader range than just arbiters. Usually the same person wares multiple hats during the tournament. Probably the real motion could be presented during the next quarterly meeting.

Pierre Dénommée
12-14-2020, 10:54 PM
Committees can be created by both the VM and the Executive. Those created by the Executive can exercise the power of the directors by delegation only if they are composed solely of directors.

Delegation

138 (1) Directors of a corporation may appoint from their number a managing director or a committee of directors and delegate to the managing director or committee any of the powers of the directors.

The Arbiters' Commission/Committee has no need for the Powers of the Directors. The Canadian Olympic Committee has an Athletes' Commission https://olympic.ca/canadian-olympic-committee/governance/athletes-commission/ and is under the same NFP Law. The Law don't care how we name things. If we cannot have an arbiters' Commission/Committee, then Basketball Canada, Hockey Canada and Baseball Canada are all in error. It's a basic requirement for any National Sport Organization,

Pending the approval of the new structure, we could use the TDOCP to make progress. The TDOCP already exist.

I agree with Aris, now is the right time because most arbiters do nothing because of the pandemic. An NA program concerns only those arbiters who want to act as Chief Arbiter in FIDE Level 3 tournament and begin collecting FA norms by assisting FA and IA. If the CFC is like the FQE, the bread and butter (what's really brings the money in) is the result the efforts of the LTDs. They are simply much more numerous then any other level. Actually, there are more FQE LTDs then there are arbiters of all the higher levels together. If an arbiter fails to become an NA, he would retain his former level and still be able to act as an arbiter in CFC rated tournaments. The impact on the CFC should be zero.

I agree with the President that is is not the right time to begin actively removing arbiters from the pool with refresher tests or any other method. I do believe that those tests will become mandatory, as they are in practically all other sports. The timing is just wrong, when the CFC finance requires as many competition as possible, as soon as medically possible, and when reducing the number of arbiters would hurt us.

Nevertheless, NA works in FIDE rated tournament: what they do when they shouldn't, or fail to do when the should have acted, has a direct impact on our reputation.

Pierre Dénommée
12-14-2020, 11:04 PM
I think the program should consider a broader range than just arbiters. Usually the same person wares multiple hats during the tournament. Probably the real motion could be presented during the next quarterly meeting.

I may agree in other circumstances, but we are in a pandemic, arbiters are free to work on the project and we should begin immediately to take advantage of this abnormal situation. Appointing persons to the Existing TDOCP can jump start the process while we wait for the next quarterly meeting to approve the details of the new format.

Aris Marghetis
12-14-2020, 11:13 PM
I may agree in other circumstances, but we are in a pandemic, arbiters are free to work on the project and we should begin immediately to take advantage of this abnormal situation. Appointing persons to the Existing TDOCP can jump start the process while we wait for the next quarterly meeting to approve the details of the new format.

I respectfully suggest we should follow process, some points of which Vlad has pointed out. The TDOCP has been around forever, but has been dormant forever.

Let's propose a new team that can "own" child-of-TDOCP. Let's get at least Pierre, Hal, and me; to build something the CFC Executive supports before the AGM.

Pierre Dénommée
12-15-2020, 12:11 AM
Aris,

If you prefer it this way, I will wait for proper procedures to be followed.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-15-2020, 01:03 AM
I don't think we should be tacking charges onto arbiters or making people pay to direct as Pierre has rightly pointed out. Most do it out of love for the game of chess and not to make large sums of money. I think I would have to go back to 2010 or 2013 to recall a situation where a non-FA or lower level arbiter made any significant mistake in a tournament that I was involved in within Canada either as a coach or a player. There have been plenty of instances where international arbiters, FIDE arbiters and national arbiters have made serious mistakes in other countries and perhaps one or two in Canada that currently escape my recall.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-15-2020, 01:07 AM
Aris,

If you prefer it this way, I will wait for proper procedures to be followed.

I would like to talk to you about the FQE program but I think we should also devote a section of the handbook on how to organize a tournament, how to direct a tournament, how to submit a tournament for rating to the CFC and so on. There is no reason why we can't have more people organizing matches and tournaments that are CFC rated. We definitely don't want to discourage people from doing so.

Aris Marghetis
12-15-2020, 11:38 AM
I feel that most of the ideas presented in just these posts are worth folding into a greater initiative that includes both Organizational and Arbiter-ing angles.

However, for years now, we seem to take turns voicing one of more of them, but any progress in implementation seems fleeting, or frankly, re-postponed.

The vision here is to structure a CFC "wing" to focus on Arbiter-ing angles, which in my opinion anyway, clearly would include Tournament Organization, etc.

The next step is for a proposal to be built. I offer to support Hal and Pierre. If/when such a proposal is built, the next step, I guess within months, would be to submit the proposal to the CFC Executive, for any feedback, improvements, etc. Finally, any resulting motion would be officially presented to us voting members.

Is there anyone who is willing to say something like: "why not, put together a proposal and we'll see where it goes from there"?!

Egidijus Zeromskis
12-15-2020, 12:40 PM
Is there anyone who is willing to say something like: "why not, put together a proposal and we'll see where it goes from there"?!

Aris, I think I wrote that :) "Probably the real motion could be presented during the next quarterly meeting."

Seems taht Aris, Hal, and Pierre have a vision what they would like to accomplish, just need to formalize it. To my understanding the result will be a larger number of educated arbiters/organizers. This should be welcomed with open arms.

Aris Marghetis
12-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Aris, I think I wrote that :) "Probably the real motion could be presented during the next quarterly meeting."

Seems taht Aris, Hal, and Pierre have a vision what they would like to accomplish, just need to formalize it. To my understanding the result will be a larger number of educated arbiters/organizers. This should be welcomed with open arms.

Thank you Egis! Hal and I have been considering this for a while. We thought of Pierre given his experience with the FQE program / Quebec representation / etc.

We're hoping for others' positive responses as well. I also "volunteered" Pierre, so he may not be interested in either the proposal and/or the Secretary position?

Pierre Dénommée
12-15-2020, 03:50 PM
Aris,

I would be honoured and willing to serve.

Aris Marghetis
12-15-2020, 03:59 PM
Aris,

I would be honoured and willing to serve.

Excellent! Let's collect whatever points people make during this meeting, and then at least you and I can continuw with a Skype/Zoom later this month.

Bien a vous, Aris.

Fred McKim
12-15-2020, 06:31 PM
I think we need to be aware that simply using the FQE process in any way, shape, or form likely comes with a "cost".

Paul Leblanc
12-15-2020, 08:41 PM
4.I Rating Auditor
There have been very few regular rated events since my last report. Furthermore, my ability to oversee the rating system is on hold until the website is complete and
the rating audit tool re-created to match the new website.
As our President pointed out in another agenda item, once live play resumes we will have lost members who will be replaced by new members (probably with lower ratings). I will keep an eye out for deflation when the rating program is recreated.
Meanwhile, 37 players have earned the 200 point regular rating COVID-19 rating bonus through online Quick-rated chess. Five of those earned a second 200 point bonus. I intend to extend this incentive when it expires in March.
Until now I haven't paid much attention to Quick ratings. It would be nice to have statistics to monitor that rating pool but I don't. One interesting fact is that our higher rated players have not made the switch to online CFC Quick rated chess.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-15-2020, 08:51 PM
I think we need to be aware that simply using the FQE process in any way, shape, or form likely comes with a "cost".

I think developing our own process also comes with a cost. I am sure that we can work something out.

Paul Leblanc
12-15-2020, 08:51 PM
4.J Chess Foundation of Canada
After a rough start to 2020 the Foundation assets have climbed back above the value at this time last year.
As of this moment we have $370,000 invested and expect to generate around $12,500 of income for the CFC this fiscal year.
I had the pleasure of hearing from Kalev Pugi's son who expressed his gratitude that we have continued to honour his father's
legacy through the Kalev Pugi portion of the Foundation that generates grants to promising Canadian juniors.

Christina Tao
12-16-2020, 12:04 AM
4.K Kalev Pugi Fund

2020 Kalev Pugi Fund Winners are

Ian Zhao from Calgary, AB
Kevin Zhong from Pierrefonds, QC
Matthew Ivanescu from Edmonton, AB
kate Jiang from Vancouver, BC

Each of them received $230 and a congratulation Kalev Pugi certificate.

Christina
Kalev Pugi Fund committee

Michael Barron
12-16-2020, 12:14 AM
We're hoping for others' positive responses as well.

Thank you Aris for your initiative!
Please add my positive response to your collection... :)

Christina Tao
12-16-2020, 01:26 AM
4.F Reports from Youth Coordinator.

FIDE Online World Cadets & Youth Chess Championships : American Selection Stage
The FIDE Council has approved Regulations for the FIDE Online World Cadets & Youth Rapid Chess Championships (http://www.world2020.ge/). This event will be held among ten out of twelve age/gender categories that are customary in over-the-board Cadets and Youth championships (U-08 Open and U-08 Girls are excluded).

Players who ranked top 10 in American Continental ranking and directly invited by FIDE
U18G Maili-Jade Ouellet, St. Lambert, QC
U12G Michelle Hua, Waterdown, ON
U12G Julia Li, Toronto, ON
U10G Alia Myrzaibraimova, Winnipeg, MB
U12O Anthony Atanasov, Oakville, ON

2020 National Youth Active Online Chess Championship, a qualifying tournament to FIDE Online World Cadets and Youths Championship
On Nov 8, 2020, the first National Youth tournament was organized by Juniors to Master Chess Academy Inc. There were a total of 147 Players. In other to prevent cheating, players were required to provide dual cameras and joined thru the zoom during the whole event. Cameras were set up to ensure the satisfaction of the Fair Play playing environment. One camera was for the front view that allowed the organizer and the Team to clearly see the face of the player. The other camera was for the side view, which would let the organizer saw the table, the side of the player, and partial of the screen.

During the event, there was a team of members who watched all players on Zoom looking for any suspicious behaviors. Also, the Fair Play Team was busy checking games. It was a very intense tournament for players and at the same time, it was also very intensive for all of us working at the background to ensure it was a fairness online tournament.

I could like to congratulate everyone who worked on the event, specially thanks to the Chief Organizer, Victoria Jung-Doknjas; the Chief Arbiter Jacob Mayer; Deputy Arbiter Brendan Woodroff; Arbiter IM Alexandru David; French Arbiter WGM Maïli-Jade Ouellet, who translated in French from the Opening Ceremony and throughout the 6 Rounds of announcements; JtM Fair Play Team Members and TDs: GM Gergely Szabo, FM John Doknjas, FM Joshua Doknjas, who worked real-time during and after the event to ensure fair play and the Appeals Team: Christina Tao and Vlad Drkulec.

JtM also made a contribution to the CFC Youth Fund which was used to sponsor players to play in FIDE Online event.

The Champion from National Youth who were qualified to play in FIDE Online World tournament
U10O Justin Jialin Gao, Vancouver BC
U10G Isabelle Guan, Markham, ON
U12O Vincent Latorre, Montreal, QC
U12G Anni Guo, Markham, ON
U14O Max Chen, Toronto, ON
U14G Carina D'Souza, Toronto, ON
U16O Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux, Montreal, QC
U16G Sandy-Rose Bilodeau-Savaria, Montreal, QC
U18O Sébastien Azar, Outaouais, QC
U18G Svitlana Demchenko, Ottawa, ON

19 Wild Cards spots for the FIDE Online World Cadets and Youths Chess Championship
After the National tournament and just before the deadline, Canada was handed 19 wild card spots. Therefore all the 2nd place winners from National and few highest CFC ranked players in each age category were invited to join the Selection Stage of the FIDE Online tournament.
U10G Ashley Qian (ON)
U10O Aaron Reeve Mendes (ON)
U10G Rae Chen (ON)
U10O Glib Dunikov (ON)
U10O Luca Georgescu-Nicolau (QC)
U10O Johnathan Wu (AB)
U12O Anand Rishi Chandra (AB)
U12O Johnathan Han (ON)
U12G Gillian Mok (BC)
U12G Lucy Gao (ON)
U14O Ilia Batorshyn (QC)
u14O Hemant Srinivasan (AB)
U14O Nameer Issani (ON)
U14G Julia Tsukerman (QC)
U14G Kate Yuhua Jiang (BC)
u16O Taira Tyler Tanaka (QC)
U16O Ian Zhao (AB)
U18O Rohan Talukdar (ON)
U18O Sergey Noritsyn (ON)

Dec 1-3 FIDE Online World Cadets and Youths Chess Championship American Stage
Report from the FIDE site : here (http://www.world2020.ge/The_American_Selection_/n251)

Huge congratulations to the following 6 players from CANADA who have won the right to participate in the final stage of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
Mendes Aaron Reeve (U10)
Chandra Anand Rishi (U12)
Issani Nameer (U14)
Rodrique-Lemieux Shawn (U16)
Talukdar Rohan (U18)
Demchenko Svitlana (G18)

Huge congratulations to Ouellet Maili-Jade who get a direct invitation to participate in the final stage of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Dec 19-23 FIDE Online World Cadets and Youths Chess Championship Final Stage

Full report can be found here (http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?5495-FIDE-Online-World-Cadets-amp-Youth-Rapid-Chess-Championships-(Nov-17-Dec-23))

Christina
Youth Coordinator

Aris Marghetis
12-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Thank you Aris for your initiative!
Please add my positive response to your collection... :)

Thank you Michael!

Vadim Tsypin
12-16-2020, 11:10 AM
Congratulations again Christina, Victoria and Gergely! Good luck to all Canadian players in the final stage of the World Online C&Y Ch.!

I am pleased to share good news that many 2000-2003 cohort players and their parents were hoping for.

Since the 2020 over-the-board editions of these two popular competitions didn't take place due to the COViD-19 pandemic, the FIDE Council decided to extend the age limit, exceptionally, for the 2021 FIDE World Youth U-18 Ch. and the 2021 FIDE World Junior U-20 Ch.

All players who have not reached *age 19* and *age 21*, respectively, will have the right to participate - for the 2021 events only. Additional modifications are made regarding personal right players (for instance, "To add Continental U18 Champions if there was not any Continental Junior Championship").

Vadim Tsypin
12-16-2020, 11:14 AM
The FIDE Council approved the following important change in the Regulations for the FIDE World Youth U-16 Chess Olympiad.

"Each team shall comprise 4 players and *2 reserves* (one of whom must be a girl) and 1 captain (or Manager, Trainer). Minimum one girl *shall play in all the rounds*."

As a reminder, the next WYCO is scheduled to be held in Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan in Q4 2021.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Congratulations again Christina, Victoria and Gergely! Good luck to all Canadian players in the final stage of the World Online C&Y Ch.!

I am pleased to share good news that many 2000-2003 cohort players and their parents were hoping for.

Since the 2020 over-the-board editions of these two popular competitions didn't take place due to the COViD-19 pandemic, the FIDE Council decided to extend the age limit, exceptionally, for the 2021 FIDE World Youth U-18 Ch. and the 2021 FIDE World Junior U-20 Ch.

All players who have not reached *age 19* and *age 21*, respectively, will have the right to participate - for the 2021 events only. Additional modifications are made regarding personal right players (for instance, "To add Continental U18 Champions if there was not any Continental Junior Championship").

Does this mean that FIDE is hoping to have an in person World Youth event in 2021 or is this to be an online event?

Vadim Tsypin
12-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Does this mean that FIDE is hoping to have an in person World Youth event in 2021 or is this to be an online event?

All World Calendar events for 2021 are scheduled as over-the-board, with the earliest one to start in March. Obviously, if time comes to send invitations / to open registrations but the epidemiological situation and/or national regulations in host countries remain not conducive to mass sports events, the organizers would ask FIDE for changes.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Thank you Christina for that report.

It should be noted that Canada qualified six players out of the total 30 spots available for all of the Americas. It was a very good result. Mailli Jade was a seventh wild card who made it to the world championship stage by rating, I believe. Mailli lost to Svitlana in the last round of the qualification when they were both leading the tournament along with one other young woman and the two Canadians were paired.

Svitlana Demchenko did not have anyone to play with in the U18 girls in the Nationals so technically she did not advance from the National but by decision of the CFC. Mailli-Jade Ouellet had already qualified by rating for the first stage. She decided to help as an arbiter-volunteer rather than play and act as a spoiler for some other person's qualification to the Americas qualification stage of the World Championship event.

We have many young promising players who are good enough to earn spots into a FIDE world championship event. Winning six out of thirty available spots is an impressive result.

Aris Marghetis
12-16-2020, 11:43 AM
All World Calendar events for 2021 are scheduled as over-the-board, with the earliest one to start in March. Obviously, if time comes to send invitations / to open registrations but the epidemiological situation and/or national regulations in host countries remain not conducive to mass sports events, the organizers would ask FIDE for changes.

At this point, my intuitive reaction is that it would be "easier" if the pandemic has subsided to the point of enabling return to over-the-board. However, the sheer math so far seems challenging. For example, even if the Organizer's part of the world is doing well, they would understandably have special conditions for teams coming from parts of the world who are still struggling. As I alluded to in another post in this forum, I suggest we should keep considering alternatives like hybrid.

Is hybrid ideal? No, and it'll take lotsa insights and work. However, we can't risk denying our best chess people their opportunities. Let's all keep thinking/talking.

Thanks again Vadim for your inside information scoops, they're much appreciated.

Vadim Tsypin
12-16-2020, 01:00 PM
As I alluded to in another post in this forum, I suggest we should keep considering alternatives like hybrid..

I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting. it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.

Aris Marghetis
12-16-2020, 01:13 PM
I wholeheartedly support this idea for the upcoming Zonal.

The FIDE Online Chess Regulations received a preliminary approval from the Council. Then the General Assembly adopted an amendment that gives the Council the authority to "approve [...] make periodic changes, amendments and additions". Thus, the first version of the FIDE Online Chess Regulations, which is a result of a huge effort by the cross-Commission Task Force, will come into effect soon. Part IIIb is called "Regulations for Hybrid Chess Competitions". A tournament that abides by its requirements would be allowed to serve as an official FIDE qualification event.

Some zones have already requested a permission to hold their 2021 in a hybrid format. After a fruitful discussion that we all are having here at the meeting. it would be your call as an organizer to decide on the format. FIDE would support a hybrid choice, provided all guidelines are followed.

Thanks, let's keep talking.

I've already taken the "liberty" of contacting three online platforms, explaining the situation, asking what they can offer us, subject to meeting FIDE regulations.

Michael Lo
12-16-2020, 02:37 PM
How should we handle the 2021 Kalev Pugi Fund usually determine winners in July. The objective of the fund is to help to cover a portion of traveling expenses for junior players. One of the eligibility criteria is "The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition" and the competition has to happened between July1 2020 to June 30 2021. I am expecting very few or no juniors would have traveled to a OTB tournament in that period of time. If that is the case, should we:
1) Skip the 2021 Kalev Pugi award,
2) Carry forward the award to 2022.

Aris Marghetis
12-16-2020, 02:59 PM
How should we handle the 2021 Kalev Pugi Fund usually determine winners in July. The objective of the fund is to help to cover a portion of traveling expenses for junior players. One of the eligibility criteria is "The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition" and the competition has to happened between July1 2020 to June 30 2021. I am expecting very few or no juniors would have traveled to a OTB tournament in that period of time. If that is the case, should we:
1) Skip the 2021 Kalev Pugi award,
2) Carry forward the award to 2022.

Michael, I don't know for sure yet, but if we do hold some kind of hybrid format to determine Canadian representatives, I would expect there would be certain costs associated with Online Arbiters (probably more than regular Arbiters at a regular over-the-board event). I leave it up to the Fund to determine whether, on an exceptional basis, the consideration of "travelling expenses" be extended to include any extra "Fair Play" costs that might be necessitated by a hybrid format.

This is just an idea, I'm not even sure how I would vote. The Fund can decide.

Pierre Dénommée
12-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Michael, I don't know for sure yet, but if we do hold some kind of hybrid format to determine Canadian representatives, I would expect there would be certain costs associated with Online Arbiters (probably more than regular Arbiters at a regular over-the-board event).

The current and soon to be approved Laws of Hybrid Chess require at lest two arbiters per site: a Local Chief Arbiter and a Local Technical Arbiter.

Michael Lo
12-16-2020, 04:42 PM
The current and soon to be approved Laws of Hybrid Chess require at lest two arbiters per site: a Local Chief Arbiter and a Local Technical Arbiter.

Aris & Pierre, if we relax the eligibility to cover attending cost for either Hybrid or online tournaments, I worry that the Pugi Fund committee will be overloaded with an overwhelming number of applications.

Aris Marghetis
12-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Aris & Pierre, if we relax the eligibility to cover attending cost for either Hybrid or online tournaments, I worry that the Pugi Fund committee will be overloaded with an overwhelming number of applications.

I'm not sure I understand. At this point, I'm thinking the top 10 players in the country, battling it out old-school full-time-control round-robin for the World Cup spot. I don't know how many of them would/could apply, and regardless, the Fund can choose how many (how few) to award?! (I'm not referring to much larger youth events)

Michael Lo
12-16-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure I understand. At this point, I'm thinking the top 10 players in the country, battling it out old-school full-time-control round-robin for the World Cup spot. I don't know how many of them would/could apply, and regardless, the Fund can choose how many (how few) to award?! (I'm not referring to much larger youth events)

The 2020 eligibility criteria are:

- Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
- Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
- Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
- The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
- The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st 2019 and June 30 2020).
- Candidates must have played in at least 5 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.

Normally, we would grant 3-4 awards of $200-$300 each year. If we relax it to include hybrid/online events, probably we will have to totally re-write the eligibility criteria, and also the number of awards and the amount for each award since the cost to attend online events is substantially less than the traveling cost for OTB tournaments. In 2020, we granted 4 awards of $230 each, out of 19 applications.

Fred McKim
12-16-2020, 06:42 PM
I think developing our own process also comes with a cost. I am sure that we can work something out.

Yes. Agreed.

Fred McKim
12-16-2020, 06:52 PM
The 2020 eligibility criteria are:

- Candidates must be playing under the Canadian flag (as shown on the FIDE website).
- Candidates shall not receive a bursary two years in a row.
- Candidates must be aged under 18 years old as of July 1st.
- The application must be used to help offset travel costs associated with a chess competition.
- The competition must have been held in the last 365 days (between July 1st 2019 and June 30 2020).
- Candidates must have played in at least 5 CFC rated games in the past 365 days.

Normally, we would grant 3-4 awards of $200-$300 each year. If we relax it to include hybrid/online events, probably we will have to totally re-write the eligibility criteria, and also the number of awards and the amount for each award since the cost to attend online events is substantially less than the traveling cost for OTB tournaments. In 2020, we granted 4 awards of $230 each, out of 19 applications.

Michael

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify the eligibility requirement, and instead simply be prepared to make no awards for 20/21.

Michael Lo
12-16-2020, 07:22 PM
Michael

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify the eligibility requirement, and instead simply be prepared to make no awards for 20/21.

Okay, thanks.

Bob Gillanders
12-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Executive Directors Report

I trust everyone is anxiously awaiting the return of OTB chess. Prior to the pandemic lockdown, CFC memberships had been growing at a steady clip for several years. The vaccine is now beginning to be distributed, so I do believe the end is in sight. I predict clubs and tournaments will start to return in May 2021. No doubt a few clubs may not return or instead be reconstituted under new leadership. Some players may have found a new home in online chess, but I suspect that will be a small number. Once we are beyond COVID19, I anticipate continued growth.

During this lull, we have been preparing for the future. Our new (Go) membership management system has been launched. There are still some wrinkles in the system, but there has been a steady flow of new members and renewals since October. If you haven’t tried it yet, go ahead even if it isn’t time your renewal time yet. You can log into your account and update your personal information. If you can’t login, it is probably because we don’t have your email on file. Send us an email and we’ll fix that.

We have built a new website. Or I should say, thank you Don Parakin our new webmaster. Don came on board to help with the Go membership launch, and identified our critical need for a new website when our site was hacked again. Don has created a more stable functionally efficient site utilizing software tools developed in recent years. The core functions have been restored and the balance is time. We now have the last 5 issues of Chess Canada available for viewing.

We are now rating online chess hosted on third party servers. This has been a challenge to TD’s in tournament submissions but more importantly in dealing with online cheating. The issue is discussed more in other threads. I am looking forward to trying out the new platform, Tornelo. Also the question I am frequently asked, will CFC continue to rate online games after OTB chess returns? Why not, if the interest is there.

A note our TD’s, you should upgrade your Swiss Sys software to version 10 for 2021. It is available on our website for download. When you do, send me an email for an updated access code.

I look forward to seeing everyone in person hopefully soon in 2021 at the club!

Fred McKim
12-18-2020, 04:56 PM
I just received this from our ExD today, and will make some comments after I have a chance to review it ........

Vladimir Drkulec
12-18-2020, 08:53 PM
It looks like about $25k in losses for six months which is actually a little better than expected. Today the cash balance has gone up a bit from the beginning of the meeting when it was $55k and we are now at $57k in cash. Olympiads have been cancelled for 2021 so we are looking at 2022 before any major expenditures aside from normal salary. We are looking at a year before we run out of cash with no cash coming in but I think we will get some money from the foundation and I still think we should be able to get $10k to $20k from the government.

Pierre Dénommée
12-18-2020, 10:13 PM
Olympiads have been cancelled for 2021 so we are looking at 2022.

I have seen no evidence of that. WADA Sanctions concerns World Championships. Olympics and Paralympic games, not chess Olympiads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Chess_Olympiad , https://www.fide.com/news/229

Where the right to host any such event in the Two-Year Period has already been awarded to the Russian Federation, the Signatory in question must withdraw that right and re-assign the event to another country, unless it is legally or practically impossible to do so.

FIDE has already claimed that this exception applies and that the Olympiads can go on.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-18-2020, 10:26 PM
I have seen no evidence of that. WADA Sanctions concerns World Championships. Olympics and Paralympic games, not chess Olympiads. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44th_Chess_Olympiad , https://www.fide.com/news/229

FIDE has already claimed that this exception applies and that the Olympiads can go on.

I would trust what FIDE said at the general assembly more than what some wikipedia page says. The FIDE calendar shows no olympiad in 2021 aside from the olympiad for the disabled. My understanding is that Minsk Olympiad in 2022 has been cancelled and moved to Russia though that is not reflected in the FIDE calendar which still shows Belarus as the site.

Pierre Dénommée
12-18-2020, 10:36 PM
I would trust what FIDE said at the general assembly more than what some wikipedia page says. The FIDE calendar shows no olympiad in 2021 aside from the disabled olympiad. My understanding is that Minsk Olympiad in 2022 has been cancelled and moved to Russia though that is not reflected in the FIDE calendar which still shows Belarus as the site.

The decision to cancel has been omitted in the minutes https://www.fide.com/news/863 . This cancellation is good for us.

Vladimir Drkulec
12-18-2020, 11:06 PM
The decision to cancel has been omitted in the minutes https://www.fide.com/news/863 . This cancellation is good for us.

I guess it was actually the FIDE Online council meeting.

Q4OC-2020/12. To authorize the FIDE President to finalize contracts for the organization of the World Cups in Russia in 2021 and the Chess Olympiad in Russia in 2022.

I believe FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich mentioned it in the FIDE general assembly as well though I don't know exactly at what point in the six hour meeting as I watched it after the fact on youtube and was jumping around in the meeting.

Lloyd Lombard
12-20-2020, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Gillanders;35719]Executive Directors Report

We have built a new website. Or I should say, thank you Don Parakin our new webmaster. Don came on board to help with the Go membership launch, and identified our critical need for a new website when our site was hacked again. Don has created a more stable functionally efficient site utilizing software tools developed in recent years. The core functions have been restored and the balance is time. We now have the last 5 issues of Chess Canada available for viewing.

Thanks Bob and Don, great work on the website, it really looks great. I realize that there's much more work to be done but I see that the player's history only goes back to 2006, just wondering the timeline when the remainder of the players' stats will be updated ?

Don Parakin
12-20-2020, 08:18 AM
... just wondering the timeline when the remainder of the players' stats will be updated ?

Pre-2006 stats will be migrated by end of January, maybe sooner.

Thanks all for you patience. When I started, several weeks after the old website was already dead, I had lots of free time (I'm semi-retired). I got the essentials working such as ratings (back to 2006) & upcoming events. Then along came 3 other non-CFC IT projects that were somewhat urgent as well as a minor surgery, which slowed progress. My free time is now back so progress should resume speed.

Hal Bond
12-20-2020, 02:24 PM
Excellent! Let's collect whatever points people make during this meeting, and then at least you and I can continuw with a Skype/Zoom later this month.

Bien a vous, Aris.

Sounds good to me Gentlemen! Let us get the process started.