PDA

View Full Version : wiki re: Wikipedia: List of controversial issues

Kevin Pacey
10-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Here may be a handy link if one is looking for ideas to post fresh thread(s) about in this Off-Chess-Topic forum (I've mined this list myself for ideas before, but many still seem too hot for me/here):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_controversial_issues

Kevin Pacey
10-15-2020, 10:39 PM
One item from this wiki that I didn't bother trying to use was the conspiracy theory that the moon landings were faked. There are two big reasons in my view why it's beyond improbable. The most important is that the Soviets never claimed the US faked the landings. The other significant reason that cannot be explained away is that scientists from any country can claim they detect a signaling device left behind on the moon, and there's very little reason for many of them to lie about it, that I can think of anyway.

P.S.: Often people advise others on what subjects never to talk about, Politics, Religion, Money, Race [relations], Abortion, Euthanasia, Drug usage(?), Feminism(?), Alternative genders and (now it seems) Climate Change seem to top the list, more or less traditionally. However, these topics pretty much all have been brought up on e.g. message boards (chess talk, for an example of a chess one). It's tough to make small talk for long without wanting to touch on one or more of these areas, IMHO. It's seems it's a good idea to know at first if the people you're discussing these potentially hot-button/high stakes issues with are likely to be mostly level-headed folks, though. Unless at a Political Candidates debate, for example.