PDA

View Full Version : 11b Other Business - Tournament Director & Organizer Committee (TDOC)

Fred McKim
08-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Hal Bond has been acting as a one person Committee, and I think we would be well suited with a 3-5 person Committee. I'm open for any discussion as well as the role such a group would perform. Perhaps we can put something in place at the first Quarterly meeting.

Lyle Craver
08-20-2018, 02:37 PM
do you have a list of goals, tasks, terms of reference etc?

If this committee is working as it should what do you see as the main benefits?

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-20-2018, 03:41 PM
While there could be set official requirements for "higher" level directors and organizers; imho, the main need is for starting directors and organizers who need advice for various matters. The committee could have (prepare) some kind of guidelines for these budding organizers.

Fred McKim
08-20-2018, 06:08 PM
do you have a list of goals, tasks, terms of reference etc?

If this committee is working as it should what do you see as the main benefits?

No, I am merely bringing this issue to light as I think we would benefit from this. From giving advice as Egis suggests, to approving nominations for FIDE titles, to setting tests for National titles, etc.

Lyle Craver
08-20-2018, 07:59 PM
I have told Vlad that I would very much like to see an updated edition of Jonathan Berry's "So You Want to be a Tournament Director" - I think it would be a useful contribution to this cause. Jonathan's work was epic in its day but so much has changed since the mid 1970s when he wrote it

In particular a newbie's primer on how one submits tournament reports is particularly needed.

Pierre Dénommée
08-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Examinations are required for the LTD and RTD levels. The entire process should be computerized and accessible from anywhere in Canada. I could do that in my sleep because the required software is free and is already massively used in Universities all over the world.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-20-2018, 10:36 PM
No, I am merely bringing this issue to light as I think we would benefit from this. From giving advice as Egis suggests, to approving nominations for FIDE titles, to setting tests for National titles, etc.

Its not clear to me that we should delegate that authority (of approving nominations for FIDE titles). Presumably we are talking about arbiter titles.

Pierre Dénommée
08-20-2018, 11:08 PM
Its not clear to me that we should delegate that authority (of approving nominations for FIDE titles). Presumably we are talking about arbiter titles.

FIDE would likely not recognized the delegation. Canada basketball did (but no longer does) delegate official training to the Canadian Association of Basketball Officials but was still obligated to fill the International Official applications because under FIBA rules, only a National Federation can apply for those international titles.

Fred McKim
08-21-2018, 07:40 AM

They could consider the application and forward an opinion to the Board.

Lloyd Lombard
08-21-2018, 07:48 AM
I'm not an arbiter and I don't know if it's worthwhile, however Chess Informant has this book on for sale "Chess Handbook, Book for Arbiters" which can be found at: https://www.sahovski.com/Chess-Handbook-Book-for-Arbiters-p92256895

Aris Marghetis
08-21-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm not an arbiter and I don't know if it's worthwhile, however Chess Informant has this book on for sale "Chess Handbook, Book for Arbiters" which can be found at: https://www.sahovski.com/Chess-Handbook-Book-for-Arbiters-p92256895

I've seen a new copy of that book, and I like it. However, it seems to have been written separately from any official FIDE body (which may very well be an irrelevant point!). In addition, it was published before the "extra" rule changes that went into effect January 1st. Having said that, this book seems good (I haven't had time to really study it).

Pierre Dénommée
08-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Thank you for mentioning this book. I have ordered it.

Lyle Craver
08-21-2018, 09:33 PM
I assume that price is US $ which would make it roughly equal to the cost of an Informant. Sounds extremely interested but would want to know more before I do.