PDA

View Full Version : 10E. Bids for 2019 NA YCC

Fred McKim
08-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Hal Bond, our FIDE Rep, has told me to go ahead and post this new thread. I think people know the drill here.

I expect we will post an initial deadline date for bids before the conclusion of the meeting - possibly as early as the 1st quarterly meeting (mid-late Nov).

Pierre Dénommée
08-23-2017, 03:32 PM
We need all the details, number of rounds, expected number of players, registration fee, organizer's part of each registration, free hotel room requirement for players HoD etc. Will it be mandatory for the players to stay at the official hotel as in the WYCC?

Fred McKim
08-23-2017, 03:42 PM
We need all the details, number of rounds, expected number of players, registration fee, organizer's part of each registration, free hotel room requirement for players HoD etc. Will it be mandatory for the players to stay at the official hotel as in the WYCC?

Hal will be on later and can answer some of these questions. Perhaps Vlad can share his experience from the 2016 event in Windsor.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-23-2017, 04:23 PM

I would hope that the number of rounds would be 9 in order to allow for the possibility of norms and titles. Anything less and there are no norms and likely a greatly reduced turnout. For Central Canada I would expect about 350 players and perhaps more if the Federal government allows Mexican players to attend. We had two or three stopped at the border. There is a $20 US fee per player to FIDE America. You are required to provide 36 to 48 half rooms for official players plus rooms to three HOD at last regulation but those HOD may have to be FIDE trainers. Usually you provide food to official players. Usually there are three heads of delegation and a FIDE rep who gets $1000 U.S. plus a room and board and transportation if my memory is not playing tricks. FIDE America can add official players unexpectedly as when they authorized a country which is not usually part of North America to take part fairly late in the program. That country did not actually show up so it was a case of the threat being worse than the execution. We tried charging an extra fee for players not staying in the official hotel but that broke down because the hotel ran out of double rooms somewhat early as there is a high demand for rooms at Caesars Windsor in the summer.

If you charge a reasonable entry fee your break even will be in the 300 player or more range depending on your venue costs.

Pierre Dénommée
08-23-2017, 07:03 PM
That is three HoD per delegation, which means that an official player does not generate any profit.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-23-2017, 07:47 PM
That is three HoD per delegation, which means that an official player does not generate any profit.

One HOD per delegation and probably three delegations with an outside chance of four (which hasn't materialized in at least the last five or six NAYCC's. IF the FIDE trainer rules apply, it may mean no HOD. Official players still have to pay entry fees.