PDA

View Full Version : 4A Treasurer's Report

Fred McKim
08-08-2015, 09:28 AM
The job of the Treasurer has changed over the past number of years, as the Financial information is in the hands of the EXecutive Director. As it is I try to act as overseer of the funds on the Board of Directors when it comes time to funding decisions throughout the year.

It is the nature of our business that the statement of profit and loss and balance sheet looks very much the same from year to year, as we do not have a lot of discretionary funds to spend.

I will make more comments once the Financials are posted.

I will be standing for Treasurer again this year.

Fred McKim

Fred McKim
08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Attached to this post are the Financial Statements. Please review and comment or ask questions.

Hal Bond
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
First off - great job Bob and Fred!!

The receivables are still higher than we would like but it's a big improvement.

There is a Note 8 that is referenced but not included. Is forthcoming Fred?

Paul Leblanc
08-09-2015, 04:57 PM
The Pugi Fund shows minus $1400 "recognized as revenue". I also see an itemized list in the Pugi Fund report totaling $1400 of approved grants.
It would be useful to update the historical record of grants on the CFC website to reflect this latest $1400.

Halldor P. Palsson
08-10-2015, 12:23 AM
The CFC has become very exclusive with only 807 adult members.

Fred McKim
08-10-2015, 08:05 AM
The CFC has become very exclusive with only 807 adult members. Perhaps this is a topic for New Business at the Incoming Meeting. I know we had plans for a membership drive 3 or 4 years ago, but it never got passed the planning stage. Maybe we can get 3 or 4 volunteers to head this up.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-10-2015, 08:48 AM
Perhaps this is a topic for New Business at the Incoming Meeting. I know we had plans for a membership drive 3 or 4 years ago, but it never got passed the planning stage. Maybe we can get 3 or 4 volunteers to head this up.

As I recall we did have a membership drive which involved contacting all of the old expired members. I was involved when I was masters representative. I don't recall the number of emails I sent but it was probably in the thousands personalized to each member. It was not a fruitful exercise. I had a few who said they would be members if they hadn't moved to another part of the world. I had several that threatened legal action if contacted again. I was called a few names.

My suggestion is that we run more tournaments and publicize them better. I always get a surge in interest locally when there is a newspaper story or television report on local events.

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Attached to this post are the Financial Statements. Please review and comment or ask questions.

Can you give more comments on these several lines:

Page 1
Deferred membership revenue 19,035
This number does not appear anywhere in the notes. What is it?

Why was a significant drop in a Newsletters' cost?
Publication: e‐Newsletter 11,530 vs 16,135

Is math right with Olympic Contributions listed in
Programs with 6,281
and in 3. Deferred Contributions with the same amount 6,281.

There were several question about the National Library on the public forum - What is its history? Does it exist in a publicly-accessible location? What are its contents? by Hugh Brodie.
I think before there was a line for a storage cost. I don't see this now. Did the library shrink to the size to fit in someone's basement?

Fred McKim
08-10-2015, 05:45 PM
295Revised Financial Statement

This version includes notes for FIDE Expenses and Office Expenses

Fred McKim
08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Can you give more comments on these several lines:

Page 1
Deferred membership revenue 19,035
This number does not appear anywhere in the notes. What is it?

Why was a significant drop in a Newsletters' cost?
Publication: e‐Newsletter 11,530 vs 16,135

Is math right with Olympic Contributions listed in
Programs with 6,281
and in 3. Deferred Contributions with the same amount 6,281.

There were several question about the National Library on the public forum - What is its history? Does it exist in a publicly-accessible location? What are its contents? by Hugh Brodie.
I think before there was a line for a storage cost. I don't see this now. Did the library shrink to the size to fit in someone's basement?

1) Deferred membership revenue represents the portion of membership fees collected that are still outstanding. In other words if you buy a membership on Jan 1 for $45 (for example), $30 would be deferred revenue at fiscal year end. We have used this accounting practice for a number of years.

2) There were 9 issues of the magazine published during the fiscal year, with a portion of that being reported on the 2014 financial statement. Payment for 12 months of the newsfeed were made. In general this cost should be $18,000.

3) $6,281 is included in "other programs" in both the revenue and expenses (in and out). It's an example of how we account for Olympic, Youth, and Pugi Fund monies. It also shows up as an expense since it is an actual donation from our coffers.

4) It's my understanding that many years ago we had some plans to have a National Library housed within the business office. I seem to remember talk of "Yanofsky files" and perhaps other itmes that hadn't been sent to the National archives. There may be someone out there that can shed more light on this, but we have been amortizing it for quite a few years and it should soon disappear as an asset from the balance sheet.

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-12-2015, 10:27 AM
3) $6,281 is included in "other programs" in both the revenue and expenses (in and out). It's an example of how we account for Olympic, Youth, and Pugi Fund monies. It also shows up as an expense since it is an actual donation from our coffers.

To me it does not add rightly.

Yes, it is in Revenue as in Other programs 146623 (Note 3)

However, it appears two times in EXPENDITURE:
Contribution to Olympic team 6281
and in Other programs 146,623 (Note 3)

Repeat question:

Does anybody know about the National library anymore?

Vladimir Drkulec
08-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Repeat question:

Does anybody know about the National library anymore?

I believe this refers to a pile of magazines (CFC and other historical Canadian chess periodicals) and historical records related to the CFC over the years. Michael von Keitz has been diligently working on digitizing these. I may of course be wrong but if I am the answer may be beyond the knowledge of the current executive.

Fred McKim
08-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I believe this refers to a pile of magazines (CFC and other historical Canadian chess periodicals) and historical records related to the CFC over the years. Michael von Keitz has been diligently working on digitizing these. I may of course be wrong but if I am the answer may be beyond the knowledge of the current executive.
Yes, MVK has confirmed that is the National Library (historical magazines and newsletter). Perhaps there were other things at some other time, but that is now what it consists of.

Fred McKim
08-12-2015, 01:32 PM
To me it does not add rightly.

Yes, it is in Revenue as in Other programs 146623 (Note 3)

However, it appears two times in EXPENDITURE:
Contribution to Olympic team 6281
and in Other programs 146,623 (Note 3)

Yes, it's in Expenditure twice BECAUSE we actually donated that sum to the OLYMPIC FUND. As I tried to explain, the other program references (INCOME and EXPENDITURE) are simply accounting practice. If that sum of money had been donated by somebody else, it would only be in EXPENDITURE once.

Lyle Craver
08-13-2015, 05:01 AM
I would be interested at some point after the meeting in hearing from Michael concerning his collection of GLs - I have a box about 5-6" thick of GLs from the 80s which I would happily send to him if he needs them and dispose of if not. I would also be interested in getting a copy of these for my archives in PDF or other digital format.

Hal Bond
08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
We may have some items at the National Archives, but beyond that our "National Library" has been almost completely digitized by Michael von Keitz. I spent a couple days working along side Michael on the project. I believe the GLs have been digitized, but Lyle - you may want to contact Michael directly. I know one item that is lost for the moment is the 1986 Women's Championship - no cross tables anywhere!

Lyle Craver
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Perhaps Paul Leblanc should talk to Lynn Stringer - she is highly likely to have either directed or played in it.

Fred McKim
08-13-2015, 12:36 PM
We may have some items at the National Archives, but beyond that our "National Library" has been almost completely digitized by Michael von Keitz. I spent a couple days working along side Michael on the project. I believe the GLs have been digitized, but Lyle - you may want to contact Michael directly. I know one item that is lost for the moment is the 1986 Women's Championship - no cross tables anywhere!

At the risk of getting off topic here ...... The CFC files, which included submitted crosstables and ratings post every event were all sent to the National Archives. I went through all of them a few years ago. I can't remember the most recent crosstables in the collection (it went at least into the mid 80's), but there may be a gap in the crosstable data of what is contained there and 1996/04, which is the earliest date stored on the current database.

FWIW, the CFC website tells us that Nava won the 1986 event, held in Toronto.

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Thnx Fred for the second explanation.

Long time ago J.Berry scanned older GL and offered files here. I received them, maybe other got them too. I'll need to check what years they were. As I see GL are available as old as 1997/98 at http://chess.ca/governors-letters .
My suggestion would be that someone (a secretary) would summarize Online meetings (at least voting on motions) and put it as a GL for the record. Scrolling through all threads to find something is quite time consuming affair.