PDA

View Full Version : 1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

Lyle Craver
06-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Chess Federation of Canada - Annual General Meeting
- Incoming Voting Members - 6 - 13 July 2014

1. Agenda and Opening Comments by the Chair

(Note to voting members: all votes open at 9pm ET, all votes and nominations close at 6pm ET, the meeting ends at 10pm ET on July 13th)

Part 1 - Agenda and Sign-in

1. Agenda & Opening Comments of Chair
2. voting member Sign-in

Part 2 - Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories

3. Election of voting members from Non-Affiliated Provinces/Territories (nominations close on day 3, if elections are required this will take place on days 4-5)

3A. YT
3B. QC - Ratification of FQE nominees for CFC voting member (if no objections are posted to any FQE nomination these will be acclaimed at the end of the nomination period)

4. Nomination of Candidates for Election (nominations close at 6pm ET July 8 - day 3, elections continue through 6pm ET July 11 - day 6)
4.1 President
4.2 Vice-President
4.3 Secretary
4.4 Treasurer
4.5 Youth Coordinator
4.6 FIDE Representative
4.7 Women Coordinator
4.8 Rating Auditor
4.9 Publicity Officer
4.10 Fund Raising Officer
4.11 Tournament Coordinator

5.A Elections of the above positions
5.B Election of Directors and Officers

6. Appointment of CFC Committee members: (nominations close at 6pm ET June 22 - day 3, elections for contested positions continue through 6pm ET July 12 - day 7)

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term:

6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term:

* 6.3 Kalev Pugi Fund Committee:

* 6.4 National Appeals Committee:

7. Election of CFC Committee members (see sections 4.1 - 4.11 - in sections 4.1 - 6.4 all positions where an election is being held is marked with *)

The above items are now closed - please refer to meeting announcements for details

8. Appointment of Auditors - discussion
Voting on all items excluding voting members, Executive and Officers will begin on day 4 (June 26) and continue to the end of the meeting (June 30)

Part 3 - Bids for Events

9. Bids for 2014/2015 Events

9A 2015 Canadian Open

9B 2015 CYCC
Windsor bid

9C Any other Bids/Business:
- 9C1 Next Canadian Junior
- 9C2 Next Canadian Women's Closed

Part 4 - Other Business

10. Other Business

10A. New Agenda Item for discussion only. (From Paul Leblanc, CFC Rating Auditor)

CFC/FIDE/USCF/FQE Rating Gaps. Many CFC players have more than one rating. It is not uncommon for a CFC member's other rating to be more current and hence more accurate than their CFC rating. This issue was brought forward to me by John Coleman who observed that many of the juniors in the Windsor area play more USCF games than CFC games and because they are improving rapidly, their CFC rating is significantly lower than their USCF rating.
I would like to know if there is any support for an amendment to the Handbook to allow a CFC member to request that their rating be adjusted to match their FIDE/USCF/FQE rating? There would be, I imagine a specified differential (200 points?), a need to establish that the other rating is more "current" and a fee ($25?). The process would have to be worked out but before I go any further on this I'd like to hear if there is general support for the concept before I consider whether to table a motion at a future meeting.*

10.B. New Agenda Item for discussion only. CFC Youth Committee

11. Bids for National Championships 2014/15 and onward

12. Adjournment & Closing Comments by Chair

Vladimir Drkulec
07-05-2014, 10:19 PM
I would like to welcome the voting members to the first meeting of the incoming voting members (formerly called governors) under the CFC which has transitioned into the new Canada Not For Profit Act. We have to choose the leadership and officers of the CFC for the coming year in the various voting threads. We also have a discussion of what to do with the situation when there are rating gaps between FQE, CFC, FIDE and USCF ratings usually in instances where players play more in a non-CFC rating system.

Bob Gillanders has been settling into the CFC office as the new Executive Director and has already shown a very steady hand in his handling of several issues which have come up. I am going to enjoy working with him. The big news this year was the sucessful transition to the new NFP act. After a successful CYCC and Canadian Open in Ottawa in 2013 we will have an even larger CYCC and combined Canadian Open / Quebec Open in Montreal this year. I am hoping to see many of you at one or both of these events.

At WYCC in the United Arab Emirates we had the fortune of seeing a new Canadian world champion in Harmony Zhou from Toronto. We were delighted to see Harmony's interview at the World Youth. We hope this is just the first of many championships for young Harmony.

Michael Barron
07-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Dear Lyle,
Please include in the Agenda "Appointment of CFC Youth Committee members" item.

Lyle Craver
07-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Done - see item 6.5

Félix Dumont
07-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Is there only one bid for the 2015 CYCC? I thought I had seen somewhere on Chesstalk that a few cities were interested. I also imagine that no one has expressed interest for the 2015 Canadian Open?

Vladimir Drkulec
07-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Done - see item 6.5

This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice. I have ruled it out of order. I have removed it from the agenda and made it a discussion item under new business.

I refer to the following provisions of the NFP act as my reasons for denying this agenda item. Mr. Barron waited until after notice had gone out to the members to bring this item into the agenda which is contrary to the NFP act.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs05006.html

Notice of Meetings of Members
Notices of meetings of members must be provided in accordance with the by-laws to the following persons:

each member entitled to vote;
each director; and
the public accountant of the corporation.
Members who are entitled to receive notice are those who appear in the members register on a certain date called the “record date.” The directors may fix, by resolution, a record date that is not more than 60 days and not less than 21 days before the meeting. If the directors do not take this action, then the NFP Act provides that the record date is the close of business on the day immediately preceding the day on which notice is given or, if no notice is given, the day on which the meeting is Footnote 2

The provisions of the by-laws that deal with the giving of notice must comply with the regulations under the NFP Act. The regulations provide minimum and maximum notice periods for meetings and require that the by-laws specify one or more of the following means of giving notice:

by mail, courier or personal delivery to each member entitled to vote at the meeting during a period of 21 to 60 days before the meeting;
by telephonic, electronic or other communication facility to each member entitled to vote at the meeting during a period of 21 to 35 days before the meeting;
by affixing the notice, no later than 30 days before the meeting, to a notice board where information about the corporation’s activities is regularly posted in a location that is frequented by the members; and
if the corporation has more than 250 members, by publication using one of the following two means:
at least once in each of the three weeks immediately before the meeting is to be held in one or more newspapers circulated in the municipalities in which the majority of the members reside as shown by their addresses in the register of members; or
at least once in a publication of the corporation that is sent to all its members, during the period of 21 to 60 days before the day on which the meeting is to be held.
If the provisions of the by-laws do not comply with the above requirements, or if no method is provided for in the by-laws, the notice must be mailed or personally delivered to the members 21 to 60 days before the day on which the meeting is to be Footnote 3

Vladimir Drkulec
07-06-2014, 01:50 PM
No one has yet indicated an interest in the Canadian Open. Windsor will be submitting a bid for CYCC I have been told. I expect that the bid will be available at this meeting.

Lyle Craver
07-06-2014, 01:55 PM
This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice. I have ruled it out of order. Please remove it from the agenda.

As per your direction, done - LC

Michael Barron
07-06-2014, 09:30 PM
This item was submitted after the statutory date for notice.

Sorry, Vlad, but that's not true... :(

This item was submitted the same day as you published the Agenda - June 15.
Please see: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?3930-Agenda-for-CFC-voting-members-online-AGM-meetings-July-6th-13th-2014&p=24989#post24989

Please include this item in the Agenda.

Sasha Starr
07-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Dear Lyle,
Please include in the Agenda discussion of the Canada's position regarding vote for FIDE's President.
Sasha Starr.

Michael Barron
07-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Dear Lyle,
Please include in the Agenda discussion of the Canada's position regarding vote for FIDE's President.
Sasha Starr.

I second this request.

Garland Best
07-07-2014, 12:02 AM
As a point of order, I will be travelling June 11 to a cottage in Newfoundland, where I will not have access to emails or the internet until the 20th. Given the situation, is there a way for me to make my votes by the 10th, in order to be counted? Thank you.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-07-2014, 02:22 AM
Sorry, Vlad, but that's not true... :(

This item was submitted the same day as you published the Agenda - June 15.
Please see: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?3930-Agenda-for-CFC-voting-members-online-AGM-meetings-July-6th-13th-2014&p=24989#post24989

Please include this item in the Agenda.

No. I have already said that I would accept all three of them for the committee if they email me and Frank. One has done so. You didn't even write it in the form of a motion. As usual you are too lazy to do the work required. This is just your way of having some kind of test of wills for whatever reason. If you want to have an election then feel free to create a proposal/motion for the next meeting but it may have to be a constitutional amendment that will require two thirds support depending on what it is exactly that you are proposing. It may even require gaining support of the non-voting members again depending on what exactly you are proposing. I don't know because you have not outlined what you want with this.

You assume I read the forum after I already sent out the notices after you sat on this for how many weeks? We have been bending the rules by making member proposals into directors proposals. Even those have to get out within the 21 day requirement.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs05006.html

Member Proposals
Generally, the directors are responsible for setting the agenda of members meetings. However, members have a right to add items to the agenda by submitting a notice – known as a “proposal” – to the corporation 90 to 150 days before the anniversary of the previous annual meeting of members. In this regard, any member entitled to vote at an annual meeting of members may submit a proposal to the corporation about any matter that the member wishes to raise at the Footnote 4 This includes the right of a voting member to submit a proposal to make, amend or repeal by-laws.

If a proposal includes nominations for the election of directors, the NFP Act states that the proposal must be signed by at least 5% of the members entitled to vote at the annual meeting. However, the Act also permits the corporation to use its by-laws to lower this percentage (for example “at least 2%”), but not to raise it.

With few exceptions, the corporation is required to include the proposal in the notice of meeting that is sent to the members.Footnote 5 If requested by the member who submits a proposal, the corporation is required to include in the notice of meeting a statement by the member in support of the proposal and the name and address of the member. The regulations provide that the statement and proposal shall not exceed 500 words in total.

The member who submitted the proposal is required to pay any cost of including the proposal and statement in the notice of meeting unless it is otherwise provided in the by-laws or in an ordinary resolution of the members present at the meeting.

It should be noted that directors are not obliged to include the proposal if:

the submission of the proposal does not meet the requirements above; or
the proposal is improper, in that:
it is intended to enforce a personal claim or redress a personal grievance against the corporation, or its directors, officers, members or debt obligation holders;
it does not relate in a significant way to the activities or affairs of the corporation;
not more than 2 years before the receipt of the proposal, the member failed to raise the matter covered by the proposal at a meeting of members;
it is substantially the same as a proposal previously submitted to members less than 5 years ago and it did not receive the minimum required support at that meetingFootnote 6; or
the rights to submit proposals are being abused to secure publicity.

Lyle Craver
07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
OK as requested a thread has been opened under 10C - New Business for discussion relating to the FIDE Congress in Tromso and the election to be held there.

Please take further discussion on this topic there.

Nikolay Noritsyn
07-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I was just writing this message on the VP thread, and when I tried to post it hit me that the thread was closed. I kindly ask to move this post to the right thread.

This is my first time running for a position in the executive. I have been a governor for a number of years now. I work as a chess coach, and so I have first hand knowledge of the issues surrounding youth tournaments, and coaching. I hope to bring my communication skills, new ideas, and my experience as coach and (semi)professional chess player to contribute to growth of chess in Canada. I also believe in transparency with the governors and the cfc members. I think communication is very important, and a lot of recent quarrels could be avoided. Regarding the recent decision on the FIDE vote, I believe that the matter should have been resolved by the governors, and not the executive.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-08-2014, 06:15 PM
I was just writing this message on the VP thread, and when I tried to post it hit me that the thread was closed. I kindly ask to move this post to the right thread.

This is my first time running for a position in the executive. I have been a governor for a number of years now. I work as a chess coach, and so I have first hand knowledge of the issues surrounding youth tournaments, and coaching. I hope to bring my communication skills, new ideas, and my experience as coach and (semi)professional chess player to contribute to growth of chess in Canada. I also believe in transparency with the governors and the cfc members. I think communication is very important, and a lot of recent quarrels could be avoided. Regarding the recent decision on the FIDE vote, I believe that the matter should have been resolved by the governors, and not the executive.

Why are all the threads closed?

Sasha Starr
07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Done - see item 6.5

Dear Lyle, when do you think the President's election will start?
Are there the opening statements, discussion period, etc.?
Thank you.

Lyle Craver
07-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Please refer to both the first posting in this thread and to Item number 1A Report on nominations and elections for details.

I have just finished opening the last "Voting Booth" for the 3 contested positions (President, Vice-President and Junior Coordinator) and voting continues through 1800 ET Friday July 11th

Sasha Starr
07-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Please refer to both the first posting in this thread and to Item number 1A Report on nominations and elections for details.

I have just finished opening the last "Voting Booth" for the 3 contested positions (President, Vice-President and Junior Coordinator) and voting continues through 1800 ET Friday July 11th

Thank you very much, Lyle, and my apologies for previous postings in the wrong threads. I'm just trying to figure out what is the right place for my posts regarding the issue of the 7th Director.
Please explain, because I can't post in the appropriate place.

Garland Best
07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Please ignore this post. I misunderstood the voting times.

Garland Best
07-08-2014, 10:40 PM
So far only 23 governors have signed in, which is quite disappointing.

We should list all of the incoming governors and note who has or has not signed in. Perhaps then people may recognize the value of whom they are selecting for governor.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-08-2014, 11:36 PM
So far only 23 governors have signed in, which is quite disappointing.

We should list all of the incoming governors and note who has or has not signed in. Perhaps then people may recognize the value of whom they are selecting for governor.

I think that the problem may be that some of them became voting members without realizing it.

Garland Best
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
I think that you will find those that only have time to pay attention on weekends, and will sign on Saturday or Sunday to learn that the meeting is over.

Yelizaveta Orlova
07-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Hi! I'll be renewing my account today.
I hope this did not make a differ in the elections.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Hi! I'll be renewing my account today.
I hope this did not make a differ in the elections.

If you want the Women's Coordinator job its yours. Have you talked to Mr. Ethan Lou yet?

We've been contacted by a journalist who doesn't want to talk about FIDE on the subject of women's chess.

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-09-2014, 04:17 PM
"Part 3 - Bids for Events

9A 2015 Canadian Open

9B 2015 CYCC
Windsor bid

- 9C2 Next Canadian Women's Closed"

When will this part start?

Lyle Craver
07-09-2014, 04:37 PM
One thing I waited too late to put under new business was my desire to have regulations that would put far more onus on provincial federations in reporting their Governor / VM nominations for the following year.

You are elected from AGM to AGM and an important part of your role is passing the torch when the time comes as it does for all of us. In Ontario this notification role is done by the OCA president, in BC by the BCCF secretary and both have done a good job of reporting for years. However during my time as Secretary during the last month before the AGM a big part of my job is sending e-mails to Governors and their provincial affiliates seeking their lists for the following year.

My attitude is that the CFC collects dues for the provinces and sends them on but doesn't expect all that much in return - but I think the CFC should fairly be able to expect THAT. I regularly have to write back because one or more names are ineligible mostly due to expired memberships.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
"Part 3 - Bids for Events

9A 2015 Canadian Open

9B 2015 CYCC
Windsor bid

- 9C2 Next Canadian Women's Closed"

When will this part start?

Today most likely. I have a bid for the Windsor CYCC. Still some clarifications going on.

Lyle Craver
07-09-2014, 05:45 PM
My apologies - threads 9A, 9B, 9C have been created and remain open for the duration of the meeting. You should see them at the top of the thread list as I have made them "stickies"

I had mistakenly thought I had already opened these and I apologize for the oversight.

Yelizaveta Orlova
07-09-2014, 10:46 PM
If you want the Women's Coordinator job its yours. Have you talked to Mr. Ethan Lou yet?

We've been contacted by a journalist who doesn't want to talk about FIDE on the subject of women's chess.

Vlad,

Yes! Ethan has contacted me and we will be doing an interview this Friday!

Thank you, I'd really like to be the Women's Coordinator again - I'd like to talk about expanding what this position does. Will that be possible? If I write up some possibilities.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Vlad,

Yes! Ethan has contacted me and we will be doing an interview this Friday!

Thank you, I'd really like to be the Women's Coordinator again - I'd like to talk about expanding what this position does. Will that be possible? If I write up some possibilities.

Send me an email. I am not sure I have your current email as I didn't hear from you when we had an issue that I could have used your input on.

Yelizaveta Orlova
07-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Send me an email. I am not sure I have your current email as I didn't hear from you when we had an issue that I could have used your input on.

Vlad!

I've been trying to deal with my Credit card....because it has been blocked.
I do on the other hand have Paypal, would I be able to pay 40$ now, and tomorrow the rest for the membership?

My email is liza.orlova@live.com.
Yesterday I went through my email and saw the ones sent by you!
Turns out I have too much non-chess emails, that I missed most of my chess ones.
I have changed my email settings, so I shouldn't be flooded with unimportant emails anymore.

I hope this once again didn't change the postion of me still being Women's Coordinator.

By the way, I had the interview yesterday....hope they actually post the video...and not just an article type interview.

Vladimir Drkulec
07-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Vlad!

I've been trying to deal with my Credit card....because it has been blocked.
I do on the other hand have Paypal, would I be able to pay 40$ now, and tomorrow the rest for the membership?

My email is liza.orlova@live.com.

You are the only candidate at the moment. I would be pleased to see you as women's coordinator again.

Yesterday I went through my email and saw the ones sent by you!

We managed to defuse that situation to the satisfaction of all involved.

Turns out I have too much non-chess emails, that I missed most of my chess ones.
I have changed my email settings, so I shouldn't be flooded with unimportant emails anymore.

live.com provides lots of flexibility in sending your email from different individuals to different folders. I made use of it to make my job as president more manageable though I too sometimes get overwhelmed by the volume of emails.

I hope this once again didn't change the postion of me still being Women's Coordinator.

Not at all.

By the way, I had the interview yesterday....hope they actually post the video...and not just an article type interview.

It seemed with my portion that he wanted to make it a slightly negative spin on female only chess titles but we managed to steer it in a different direction (I hope). We'll see.