PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Positions

Christopher Mallon
05-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Nominations are open for all positions.

SWOCL typically has a President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary and an Exec-At-Large or two (typically anyone who is made a CFC Governor, or anyone who wants to help out in a specific way).

Nominations are also open for the Governor positions. The exact number has not been decided yet but is usually 5 or 6.

Finally, we have to select our OCA Regional Vice President for Southwestern Ontario. This is typically a member of the Executive but does not have to be.

I will try to keep this first post up-to-date with any nominations. Please only post here if you are actually a CFC Member who lives in the SWOCL area.

Christopher Mallon
05-23-2014, 06:36 PM
I have decided to focus my efforts on other endeavours over the next couple of years and I will not be seeking re-election to any governance positions at any level of chess. I do wish you all well in the future, however.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-23-2014, 10:49 PM
I have decided to focus my efforts on other endeavours over the next couple of years and I will not be seeking re-election to any governance positions at any level of chess. I do wish you all well in the future, however.

Thank you for your long service at all levels of chess organization: CFC, OCA and SWOCL in particular.

Bob Gillanders
05-24-2014, 09:12 AM
To refresh everyones memory:

Current SWOCL executives:

President: Lee Hendon
VP: Chris Mallon
Treasurer: Bob Gillanders
Secretary: Garvin Nunes
Exec at large: Vlad Drkulec

Current SWOCL governors (5):
Hal Bond, Patrick McDonald, Lee Hendon, Chris Mallon, Garvin Nunes.

The OCA annual meeting will be starting soon, we need to select our governors for the next year.
We are now in the process of determining the governor allocation for Ontario between the leagues.
I suspect SWOCL will be allocated 5 again this year?
Chris is not seeking re-election. So, are the other 4 willing to continue for another year?
Is anyone else interested? Don't be shy.

Patrick McDonald
05-24-2014, 09:34 AM
I am willing to stand as Governor again this year.

Thank you.

Hal Bond
05-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I am also willing to stand as Governor for the coming year.

Garvin Nunes
05-25-2014, 12:50 PM
I am willing to stand as governor and secretary again for the upcoming year.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-27-2014, 12:03 AM
I am hoping to remain at large. :)

Bob Gillanders
05-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Okay, so step 1, selecting our Governors, is almost complete.

I have sent the CFC members stats (breakdown by league) to league representatives and OCA President Mallon. We should get the official governor allocation by league shortly. I suspect SWOCL will have 5 again?

Anyway, we have at least 3 volunteers:

Patrick McDonald
Hal Bond
Garvin Nunes

We currently have two other SWOCL people on the CFC executive.

Vlad Drkulec, CFC President
Frank Lee, CFC Youth Coordinator

Do we need to leave 2 governor spots open for them?

Christopher Mallon
05-27-2014, 12:05 PM

I have sent the CFC members stats (breakdown by league) to league representatives and OCA President Mallon. We should get the official governor allocation by league shortly. I suspect SWOCL will have 5 again?

Patrick McDonald
Hal Bond
Garvin Nunes

SWOCL gets 4 or 5 Governors (see thread in the OCA AGM)

I'm not sure how it works now, in the past Vlad would automatically have been a CFC Governor for 5 years. Vlad can you let us know how this works under the new rules? Do we need to give you a Governor spot for you to run again?

Thanks

Vladimir Drkulec
05-27-2014, 11:21 PM

Patrick McDonald
Hal Bond
Garvin Nunes

No. I get a governor spot for five years even if I am voted out as president and permanently if I can survive a full year. I am hoping that there won't be many changes in the directors this year particularly with the deadlines for WYCC so close.

Bob Gillanders
05-28-2014, 07:33 AM
No. I get a governor spot for five years even if I am voted out as president and permanently if I can survive a full year. I am hoping that there won't be many changes in the directors this year particularly with the deadlines for WYCC so close.

Not correct. Many moons ago, former Presidents were rewarded by becoming Life Governors. That was changed to only 5 years starting with Hal Bond, and I believe you must finish your first term to be eligible.

To restate my question, does a Presidential candidate need to be an incoming governor?
Maybe for you Vlad it is a mute point, since you will have a complete year under your belt.
But next question, what about other executive spots?
Will Frank Lee be serving a second term as Youth Coordinator, if so do we need to leave a governor spot open for him?

Christopher Mallon
05-28-2014, 09:18 AM
It was never actually changed, it was 5 years for 1 full term as President, or life for 2 consecutive full terms.

Executives don't have to be Governors but especially for the YC it makes sense as there are always many Youth motions to deal with and you want the YC to have standing to speak for/against a motion and to have a vote.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
SWOCL gets 4 or 5 Governors (see thread in the OCA AGM)

I'm not sure how it works now, in the past Vlad would automatically have been a CFC Governor for 5 years. Vlad can you let us know how this works under the new rules? Do we need to give you a Governor spot for you to run again?

Thanks

Since we are maintaining the current structure as much as possible I do not need a governor spot in order to run for CFC president again. Fill those spots with people who are engaged in SWOCL and CFC issues.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Not correct. Many moons ago, former Presidents were rewarded by becoming Life Governors. That was changed to only 5 years starting with Hal Bond, and I believe you must finish your first term to be eligible.

To restate my question, does a Presidential candidate need to be an incoming governor?
Maybe for you Vlad it is a mute point, since you will have a complete year under your belt.
But next question, what about other executive spots?
Will Frank Lee be serving a second term as Youth Coordinator, if so do we need to leave a governor spot open for him?

Frank will be serving a second term as Youth Coordinator if he is elected by the incoming governors. We have an incredibly compressed schedule to get ready for WYCC so I hope he is back as the new guy will not have much time to get up to speed. I don't believe that he needs a governors spot. He is in China at the moment with sporadic access to the internet. I believe that the current executive will maintain access to the incoming AGM at least until after the vote.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-29-2014, 11:38 PM
It was never actually changed, it was 5 years for 1 full term as President, or life for 2 consecutive full terms.

That was my understanding, I meant that I would be a life voting member if I last until the end of a second term. Sasha might make that a challenge.

Executives don't have to be Governors but especially for the YC it makes sense as there are always many Youth motions to deal with and you want the YC to have standing to speak for/against a motion and to have a vote.

He gets a vote if he is elected because members of the directors are also voting members.

Vladimir Drkulec
05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
He gets a vote if he is elected because members of the directors are also voting members.

Actually I see the problem now. Frank Lee should be given one of the voting member slots. I don't need one as I get one automatically if I survive to the end of the outgoing meeting.

Bob Gillanders
05-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Actually I see the problem now. Frank Lee should be given one of the voting member slots. I don't need one as I get one automatically if I survive to the end of the outgoing meeting.

Yes. So 4 of 5 governors selected so far are:

Patrick McDonald, Hal Bond, Garvin Nunes, Frank Lee.
SWOCL is allocated 5 Governor spots, so room for one more.

Christopher Mallon
05-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Lee Hendon if he still wants to be involved?

Bob Gillanders
06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
I just spoke with Lee Hendon.
He is still having computer difficulties. He did try posting some stuff, but alas, it no work.
He is going to email me his reports tonight, and I will then post for him.

He is willing to serve again as SWOCL President, and okay to fill shoes of our 5th Governor spot. :)

Christopher Mallon
06-01-2014, 12:26 PM
It having been over a week, I'm going to suggest we close nominations and pass the 5 names along to the OCA meeting so that you five can officially vote on next-year items like elections.

Bob Gillanders
06-01-2014, 02:33 PM
It having been over a week, I'm going to suggest we close nominations and pass the 5 names along to the OCA meeting so that you five can officially vote on next-year items like elections.

It has been done. See SWOCL league report in OCA meeting.

Ilia Bluvshtein
06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Gentlemen,

Who is the OCA regional VP from SWOCL?
If you have not yet nominated and selected one, could you please do this before the site is closed?

Thanks,
Ilia Bluvshtein

Christopher Mallon
06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I nominate Garvin :)

Bob Gillanders
06-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I nominate Garvin :)

Garvin has accepted the nomination for OCA regional VP from SWOCL.
Thank you Garvin.

Hurrah, I think we can close the meeting now. :)