PDA

View Full Version : April 13th Windsor YCC results

Vladimir Drkulec
04-14-2013, 12:48 AM
Another Saturday at the Riverside Library in Windsor, another 18 qualifiers to CYCC. Windsor and area now has 39 kids qualified for CYCC in Ottawa before OYCC where we should be able to gain a few more.

The time control was game in 45 minutes with a 30 second increment per move starting from move one for all sections except the under 8. The under 8 had only three players so they played a double round robin for a total of four games at a time control of game in 30 minutes plus 30 seconds increment. Once again most of the under 8 kids had as much time or more at the end of the game as they had at the beginning.

I had intended to have the games start promptly at 9:45 but had a few people show up late which meant that just as I deleted them from the starting lineup they would show up and I added them back in and then someone else showed up. Despite this the first round started shortly after 10 am. Somewhere in between the byes for spelling bees, art classes and ballet lessons we managed to hold a tournament or more precisely a couple of tournaments with a total of six sections between the YCC (four sections U14, U12, U10 and U8) and the OYCC practice tournament with two sections with a cut off of 700 between the two.

The Swiss Sys software worked fairly well though I did run into a situation in the OYCC practice tournament where the software wanted to give someone a second bye in a three round tournament. Unfortunately because there were only five kids in the section any other solution was impossible because of the players that had already played each other. I resolved it by seeding a new person into the section and giving him the same score as the girl who had taken the bye in the first round.

Here are the new qualifiers:

Name CYCC Score Medal
1 Steven Fu U08 4/4 Gold
2 Jacob Gaisinsky U08 2/4 Silver

3 Adam Gaisinsky U10 2.5/3 Gold
4 Jack Li U10 2/3 Silver
5 Jeannie Zhang U10 2/3 Silver
6 Jathushan Krishnamohan U10 1.5/3
7 Rose Forshaw U10 1.5/3

8 Joshua Mathews U12 3/3 Gold
9 David Novakovic U12 2/3 Silver
10 Nikola Kolobaric U12 2/3 Silver
11 Mihir Gupta U12 2/3 Silver
12 Vithushan Krishnamohan U12 1.5/3

13 Prushoth Vivekanantha U14 3/3 Gold
14 Erica Forshaw U14 2/3 Silver
15 Gursimmer Banwait U14 1.5/3 Bronze
16 Kiran Menon U14 1.5/3 Bronze
17 Jeremy Mathews U14 1.5/3 Bronze
18 Burak Yilmaz U14 1.5/3 Bronze

There was a concurrent tournament in two sections billed as an OYCC practice tournament for those previously qualified for CYCC. In Section A there was a three way tie for second with 2/3 while Lukas Cheung had the only perfect score.

Lukas Cheung 3.0 Gold
Karthik Baskaran 2.0 Silver
Henry Zhang 2.0 Silver
Tyler D'Amore 2.0 Silver

In section B two out of three was good for gold and there was a three way for first between Peter Avdoulos, Devin Feng and Max Zhu.