PDA

View Full Version : 6. Reports (C. Past President)

Michael von Keitz
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Past President's Report here.

Bob Gillanders
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome Governors to our first online AGM. To repeat my comment from GL4, we will be missing out on the benefits of a face to face meeting, but hopefully the benefits of an online meeting, primarily greater participation, will more than compensate. Of course, nothing is stopping those governors who did travel to Victoria from getting together to promote harmony across the nation and discuss the challenges.

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief to see 190 kids signed up for the CYCC starting tomorrow in Surrey. It is below the high water mark set last year, but easily beats the average of 150. This is just the second year with the qualification system in place, and with so many variables in Canadian Youth Chess, it is safest to say the jury is still out on the qualification system. I do find it interesting however, that there was no movement to make any changes this past year. Perhaps that was out of exhaustion or just a wait and see attitude.

This past year saw two significant improvements in our most cherished of topics, ratings. First, the new quick rating system was implemented, a replacement to the often neglected and maligned active ratings. This now better aligns junior games between quick and regular ratings based on time controls. The second, a more robust rating bonus formula that will combat the twin evils of underrated juniors and natural deflation. The benefits of these improvements will be felt gradually over time.

I am concerned that I don’t see any bids for the Canadian Open and CYCC for 2013, or perhaps I just didn’t get the memo. I guess the fight to keep a critical mass of organizers engaged continues. Organized chess in Canada remains dependant upon the tireless efforts of volunteers and organizers, a strange mixture of both fragility and resiliency.

Sincerely,

Robert Gillanders
CFC Past President
July 2, 2012