PDA

View Full Version : CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest

Bob Armstrong
04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Posted by Bob Armstrong, CCC Member, in the Cooperative Chess Coalitiion (CCC ) Facebook chess discussion group: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest ":

CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Over 2700"s

International - Farming FIDE Rating Points:

Recently, Hikaru Nakamura ( # 6 in the world; rated 2771; top rated in the Americas ) won a local 6 round weekend swiss tournament in British Columbia, Canada, the Grand Pacific Open. He won all 6 rounds. Second went to a WGM rated 2320 ( difference of 451 pts. ). There were 6 tied for 3rd, one of whom didn't have a FIDE rating; the other 5 had an average FIDE rating of 2186 ( difference of almost 600 points ).

Issue: Should super-GM's be playing with such weak opposition, and gaining valuable FIDE rating points, when they are so hard to get generally by those in the top 10 in the world?

Comments: Nakamura has lived briefly in Vancouver, BC, has friends there, and is said to support BC chess, and playing in this tournament was a way to do it apparently. The objective result is that he will gain a number of rating points, hard to get at his level usually, in super-tournaments.

Question: Should over 2700 GM's be criticized for playing in small local tournaments, that are FIDE - rated?

Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator

Kerry Liles
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Posted by Bob Armstrong, CCC Member, in the Cooperative Chess Coalitiion (CCC ) Facebook chess discussion group: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest ":

CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest

International - Farming FIDE Rating Points:

Recently, Hikaru Nakamura ( # 6 in the world; rated 2771; top rated in the Americas ) won a local 6 round weekend swiss tournament in British Columbia, Canada, the Grand Pacific Open. He won all 6 rounds. Second went to a WGM rated 2320 ( difference of 451 pts. ). There were 6 tied for 3rd, one of whom didn't have a FIDE rating; the other 5 had an average FIDE rating of 2186 ( difference of almost 600 points ).

Issue: Should super-GM's be playing with such weak opposition, and gaining valuable FIDE rating points, when they are so hard to get generally by those in the top 10 in the world?

Comments: Nakamura has lived briefly in Vancouver, BC, has friends there, and is said to support BC chess, and playing in this tournament was a way to do it apparently. The objective result is that he will gain a number of rating points, hard to get at his level usually, in super-tournaments.

Question: Should over 2700 GM's be criticized for playing in small local tournaments, that are FIDE - rated?

Bob Armstrong, CCC Coordinator

I think this question is preposterous. Who in their right mind would deny any IM or GM entry to a tournament? I think it is the player's choice whether to play or not - I cannot believe HN would enter such a tournament for the chance at a couple of rating points (when those points gained could easily be wiped out in a heartbeat in any of his "normal" super-GM encounters on a bad day).

He has stated elsewhere that his intention was to help boost chess in B.C. - a place he is familiar with and apparently likes very much. Obviously, he is not likely to lose any game in such a tournament (at that level, he can almost treat it like a rapid game) so his exposure is quite limited in real terms.

I recall in 1968 Canadian Open, Larsen and Spassky were playing and any of us would have been thrilled to have played them - despite the microscopic chance of even making them think for more than a few seconds.

roger patterson
04-12-2012, 05:31 AM
I'm with Kerry. You are proposing that it is morally wrong for consenting people to play chess. Your question is absurd.

And it is irrelevant what Nakamura's motivation was.

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Posted in the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) FB discussion group: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest " by CCC member, Bob Armstrong:

I personally ( CCC has not taken any position on this, just raised the issue since it was topical, given the Pogonina postings ) am pleased someone of Nakamura's stature would help out the organizers of the GPO by playing, and thus promote chess in Canada. Thanks Hikaru.

Bob A

Bob Armstrong
04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Posted in the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) FB discussion group: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest " by CCC Coordinator, Bob Armstrong ( slightly edited ):

If I can try to summarize the debate in this FB group ( 21 comments ), it seems most posters believe it is a good thing for over 2700's to play in weaker local tournaments. This promotes chess at the local level, since such registrants are used to advertise the tournament, and attract attention and other players. Also, over-2700's should have the freedom to play when and where they want. And this exercise on their part is not risk free - everyone, even super-GM's have bad days, and hit a lower-rated player on a good day, and can draw or lose. So it is not a slam-dunk that they will gain FIDE rating points, though generally, this would be expected, and is acceptable.

If anyone wants to add anything to my summary, or to object to any part of it, please feel free. CCC is pleased to get chessplayer input on current chess issues in this FB group, and will try to summarize the comments on posts when activity seems to have died down a bit, to give everyone a snapshot of the debate at that point.