PDA

View Full Version : NEW BUSINESS: 15c. CFC's 140th Anniversary Discussion (Bob Armstrong)

Lyle Craver
04-01-2012, 02:52 PM
OK Bob go for it!

Bob Armstrong
04-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Item 14c. – New Business - CFC's 140th Anniversary Discussion (Bob Armstrong)

As Public Relations Coordinator, I have already drafted a CFC Website “ Latest News “ post for September 24, 2012:

The CFC Regular Chess Post – Sept. 24/12 – CFC 140th Anniversary!

The Chess Federation of Canada was originally founded as The Canadian Chess Association ( CCA ), on Sept. 24, 1872 at Hamilton, Ontario. It was renamed the Canadian Chess Federation ( CCF ) in 1932, and for the first time included representation from all major cities in Canada. In 1945 the name was changed to Chess Federation of Canada ( CFC ) to avoid confusion with the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation, ( CCF ), a political party that shared the same initials. CFC has its 140th ( and 80th ) anniversary in 2012.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
CFC Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=628805206&drafts#!/group.php?gid=10564098798
CFC Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/ChessCanada

The question I raised with Michael von Keitz was whether we could use this fact to somehow further promote the continued existence of CFC, and perhaps especially after surviving 5 consecutive years of $ 30,000 deficits, and a near-death experience, and surfacing into very good operation now.

What might we do as “ anniversary events / posts / etc. “ prior to Sept. 24, that will put our best foot forward for the members and the non-CFC chess playing public?

Any suggestions?.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Michael von Keitz
04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Just to get the ball rolling, my initial reaction to Bob's message was as follows:

Awards seem up David Cohen's alley, perhaps. Pins and mugs have been on my mind lately, as far as merchandise goes - maybe anniversary items are the right angle for that stuff... We might also wish to waive all fees for the Sept 22-23 weekend to encourage coast-to-coast participation leading up to the big day. I'll leave it to the governors to discuss...