PDA

View Full Version : Guidance to Rating Junior Events

Paul Leblanc
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Guidance for Rating Junior Chess Events

At the January 2012 CFC Governors Meeting, a motion to amend the time control regulations for Standard/Regular rating of junior events was defeated. Therefore, all chess events, regardless of the age of participants must be conducted with a time control of no less than 60 minutes per player for each game in order to qualify for Regular/Standard rating. This may include increments based on 60 moves (CFC Handbook article 711). Otherwise, events are to be submitted for Active rating.

A separate initiative to rejuvenate the Active rating system is being implemented by the CFC. This system will be re-named Quick Ratings and will incorporate various time controls less than currently required for Standard/Regular ratings. All players with Standard/Regular ratings but no existing Active ratings will be given a new Quick rating commensurate with their Standard/Regular rating.

Organizers of junior events may wish to consider using the slower time controls for more experienced players and submitting the remaining games for Active/Quick rating.

In auditing events I will consider the following factors:

All events rated Standard/Regular should:
1. use chess clocks
2. require both players to record moves
3. have time set for no less than game in 60 minutes per player (may include increments based on 60 moves) (CFC Handbook article 711)
4. have time controls and round times advertised in pre-event advertising and posted on organizer's website (CFC Handbook article 711)
5. have no more than 4 games per day
6. include the exact time control with the rating submission to the CFC

Otherwise, events must be submitted for Active/Quick Rating. Rare exemptions may be granted on the recommendation of the Rating Auditor and approved by the CFC Executive.

Paul Leblanc
CFC Rating Auditor
5 February 2012

Bob Armstrong
02-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Hi Paul:

Congratulations - a very nice recapitulation and elaboration of current rating policy re time controls, especially for all-junior tournaments.

Bob A

Bob Armstrong
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
This is such a good policy statement, I reposted it on CMA ChessTalk, so it would reach more of the public.

But things on discussion boards have short life-spans. Is there some way of putting this statement somewhere in the Handbook, near an appropriate section, as a " policy statment ", so that it does not just get lost to eternity, once it scrolls down the discussion page?

Bob A

Kerry Liles
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
This is such a good policy statement, I reposted it on CMA ChessTalk, so it would reach more of the public.

But things on discussion boards have short life-spans. Is there some way of putting this statement somewhere in the Handbook, near an appropriate section, as a " policy statment ", so that it does not just get lost to eternity, once it scrolls down the discussion page?

Bob A

I think it is entirely reasonable to have Paul's statement included in the Handbook - I can take care of that immediately provided 'someone in authority' directs me to do so... I will check into that...

Paul Leblanc
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys. Fred McKim is going to post this on the CFC website and I'll have it included in the next CFC bulletin.
As for the Handbook, I'll just wait to see the implementation of Quick Chess and allow my guidance to stand the test of time for a few months. If all goes well, I'll propose an appropriate amendment to the Handbook at the next AGM in July, here in Victoria.