PDA

View Full Version : 2012 World Amateur

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I thought I saw somewhere some information on the World Amateur Championship ( not sure if it is FIDE sponsored ) on a discussion board. Does anyone have a link to this year's world championship?

Also, I know Canada has a Canadian Amateur Championship, run by Hal Bond as far as I know. Has the winner ever gone to the World's to represent Canada? And is it a pay-your-own way like the Canadian Rep did in 2011 when Bill Doubleday went to the World Senior's? Or is there some bursary from the Canadian Amateur revenue towards a travel flight voucher to the World's?

Bob A

Michael Barron
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I thought I saw somewhere some information on the World Amateur Championship ( not sure if it is FIDE sponsored ) on a discussion board. Does anyone have a link to this year's world championship?

Also, I know Canada has a Canadian Amateur Championship, run by Hal Bond as far as I know. Has the winner ever gone to the World's to represent Canada? And is it a pay-your-own way like the Canadian Rep did in 2011 when Bill Doubleday went to the World Senior's? Or is there some bursary from the Canadian Amateur revenue towards a travel flight voucher to the World's?

Bob A

Yes, it's an official FIDE event, and here is the link:
World Amateur Chess Championship 2012:
http://gamesfestival.chessdom.com/world-amateur

Last year it was in Turkey:
World Amateur Chess Championship 2011:
http://wacc2011.tsf.org.tr/

But more interesting it was a year before - it was near Chicago:
World Amateur Chess Championship 2010:
http://il-chess.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=201:2010-world-amateur-chess-championship&catid=35:generalnews&Itemid=68

Quite a few Canadians participated, and with good results.
Yes, it's a pay-your-own way.
There is no "bursary" from the Canadian Amateur revenue towards a travel to the World's - the Canadian Champions gets prize money on the spot, which they could use for a travel to the World's - or in any other way.
I guess, it's how it should be... ;)

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi Michael:

Thanks for your quick help on this.

So where are the " use it or lose it " crowd on this one??

Has Michael vK told you yet when and how he will deal with your excellently drafted challenge to his ruling on our motion ( LOL )? If not, it might now hurt to draw your post to his attention by an e-mail. He is very busy, and may not yet have seen it, and the meeting is supposed to close tonight shortly as I understand it. Just a suggestion.

Bob A

Bob Armstrong
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, it's an official FIDE event, and here is the link:
World Amateur Chess Championship 2012:
http://gamesfestival.chessdom.com/world-amateur

Here are the details of this year's World Amateur:

World Amateur Championship 2012 - The “Chess Academy of Thessaloniki”, the World Chess Federation (FIDE) and the Greek Chess Federation have the honour of inviting all national chess federations and eligible players in the FIDE World Amateur Chess Championship 2012 to be held in the 5-star Porto Carras Grand Resort in Halkidiki, Northern Greece from 16 April (1st round) to 22 April (9th round).

Did Canada have a Canadian Amateur Championship in 2011, to get an " official " Canadian candidate ( I know anyone in the world can go and participate without any permissions needed )? I thought Hal usually held it at the same time as the Canadian Closed, which I think was in August last year. If so, who is the Canadian Champion, and does anyone know if s/he is attending? If not, has the place been offered to the second place finisher, whomever that was?

Bob A

Michael Barron
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Here are the details of this year's World Amateur:

World Amateur Championship 2012 - The “Chess Academy of Thessaloniki”, the World Chess Federation (FIDE) and the Greek Chess Federation have the honour of inviting all national chess federations and eligible players in the FIDE World Amateur Chess Championship 2012 to be held in the 5-star Porto Carras Grand Resort in Halkidiki, Northern Greece from 16 April (1st round) to 22 April (9th round).

Did Canada have a Canadian Amateur Championship in 2011, to get an " official " Canadian candidate ( I know anyone in the world can go and participate without any permissions needed )? I thought Hal usually held it at the same time as the Canadian Closed, which I think was in August last year. If so, who is the Canadian Champion, and does anyone know if s/he is attending? If not, has the place been offered to the second place finisher, whomever that was?

Bob A

Yes, Bob, we had Canadian Amateur Championship in 2011:
http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournament_check_number=201108004&key=120108

Please note:
Definition of "Amateur" eligible to play at World Amateur Championship and at Canadian Amateur Championship is different.
In particular, both Canadian Amateur Champions - WCM Jackie Peng and FM Andrew Peredun - are ineligible to play at World Amateur Championship.

Bob Armstrong
01-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Yes, Bob, we had Canadian Amateur Championship in 2011:
http://chess.ca/crosstable?tournament_check_number=201108004&key=120108

Please note:
Definition of "Amateur" eligible to play at World Amateur Championship and at Canadian Amateur Championship is different.
In particular, both Canadian Amateur Champions - WCM Jackie Peng and FM Andrew Peredun - are ineligible to play at World Amateur Championship.

Thx again Michael.

Does the Executive know yet how they are going to decide on an " Official " Canadian Representative to the 2012 World Amateur, given that the 2 2011 Canadian Champions are ineligible, as having FIDE ratings and titles? Are you going to look to the second place finishers?

Bob A

Fred McKim
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Thx again Michael.

Does the Executive know yet how they are going to decide on an " Official " Canadian Representative to the 2012 World Amateur, given that the 2 2011 Canadian Champions are ineligible, as having FIDE ratings and titles? Are you going to look to the second place finishers?

Bob A

As far as I can tell the only perks for countries are two free entry fees (and just the portion that goes to FIDE).

Anyone can play who is U2000 FIDE (in the past two years - I think).

I doubt our Canadian Amateur (which I don't think had any restrictions) would have been a reasonable qualifier for this event.