PDA

View Full Version : 3. President's Welcome

Lyle Craver
09-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Ladies and gents it is my privilege to introduce our President Michael von Keitz

(editorial note: in case anyone is wondering, I am leading off all agenda items not particularly because I enjoy seeing my name as the topic starter but because someone has to and afterwards deleting the first message in every thread can cause the each 'thread' to become unstable with unpredictable results. If I could I'd delete all the starter messages once discussion is underway but since it could lead to the deletion of the whole thread or worse you're stuck with me! ;))

Michael von Keitz
10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the CFC's Fall Quarterly Meeting for 2011! We have a number of topics up for discussion, more than a few of which will be leading to subsequent votes. If you have any questions, feel free to place them in the designated thread, otherwise enjoy being a part of the process.

I'll start by bringing you up to speed on a few topics and hope that you will seek clarification as needed. Though I imagine Hal will touch on this himself, we currently have recruited two members for the CFC Olympic Selection Committee: Vlad Pechenkin and Yan Teplitsky. At this time, upon the conclusion of the Women's Championship, the hope is that we might identify one female to join them. More importantly, however, we are still in search of an Olympic Coordinator. If that sounds like a role that either yourself or someone you know is suited to fill, then please contact either Hal or myself at your earliest convenience.

In addition to Olympic concerns, I've had some preliminary contact with Paul Leblanc regarding the possibility of the Youth Fund being placed in the Foundation's care. In the past, as many of us know, the executive has been accused of allowing these funds to be mishandled. While proper accounting of their travels can be documented through Gerry, it seems to me that having the Foundation's Trustees participating in the collection and distribution of these funds serves to provide a further level of separation between the CFC's general revenue and the Youth Fund. Whether this is necessary or even truly beneficial is another question, but the conversation continues.

The newsletter is another hot topic lately. We are currently in search of a new editor, with two applications in and plenty of time left for more to follow. If you would like to be involved in the hiring process, I'd like to set up a small hiring committee, so be in touch and we'll see what can be arranged. Also related to the newsletter is the list of those that have failed to receive it. Unfortunately, Gerry indicated to me that he deleted every e-mail message that indicated a bounce and we seem to have no other recourse than to request of each member that they let us know if they have yet to receive the summer issue. My hope is that we are able to be a little more diligent going forward, as it is not my intention to deprive members of this service.

As some of you may recall from the AGM this summer, the issue of our tax status was briefly touched upon. In this vein, we are working towards designation as a Registered Canadian Amateur Athletic Association (RCAAA). We are nowhere near ready to make a submission yet, but we should be in a position to think about doing so sometime in or around New Year's.

The last item I'll touch on is the 2011-12 tournament calendar. All of our major events have been awarded and we are well-situated to start receiving bids for 2013. As Tournament Coordinator, I will leave it to Vlad Drkulec to describe what efforts he may have undertaken so far to solicit interest in the 2012-13 calendar. In the meantime, I gave the organizing committees of each upcoming event an opportunity to relay a message to the governors as a means of providing an update. I received two responses, which are below.

Roger Patterson (2012 Canadian Open):

For the Canadian Open:

- we have finalized the contract with the hotel
- finalized prize fund distribution and posted a website
- begun contacting marquee players
- established separate bank account for financing.

David Cohen (2011 Canadian Women's):

Michael, CFC Governors,

Everything is moving along for the 15th Canadian Women's Championship 2011, to be held Thanksgiving Weekend at the Annex Chess Club in Toronto. With the help of the CFC, and a little extra work of my own on Facebook and Linked-In, I sent out personalized invitations to over 75 female players. So far, 5 players are registered, with 7 more promised to enter. Each entry raises $50 for the CFC's Olympiad Fund for our Women's Team.

Regards,

David

I have also received an enquiry regarding the 2012 Canadian Junior - may the prize winner put the travel bursary towards participation in the PanAm Junior, as opposed to the World Junior? I suggested to the party involved that I would allow the govenors to discuss it, as we do have some lead-up time and some of you may wish to revisit the by-law concerned. I will expect some clear feedback by the end of this meeting, however, which will likely come in the form of a YES/NO poll.

So, for now, that's all and I look forward to productive discussions over the course of the next week.

Best wishes,

Michael von Keitz
President, Chess Federation of Canada

Michael von Keitz
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the CFC's Fall Quarterly Meeting for 2011! We have a number of topics up for discussion, more than a few of which will be leading to subsequent votes. If you have any questions, feel free to place them in the designated thread, otherwise enjoy being a part of the process.

I'll start by bringing you up to speed on a few topics and hope that you will seek clarification as needed. Though I imagine Hal will touch on this himself, we currently have recruited two members for the CFC Olympic Selection Committee: Vlad Pechenkin and Yan Teplitsky. At this time, upon the conclusion of the Women's Championship, the hope is that we might identify one female to join them. More importantly, however, we are still in search of an Olympic Coordinator. If that sounds like a role that either yourself or someone you know is suited to fill, then please contact either Hal or myself at your earliest convenience.

In addition to Olympic concerns, I've had some preliminary contact with Paul Leblanc regarding the possibility of the Youth Fund being placed in the Foundation's care. In the past, as many of us know, the executive has been accused of allowing these funds to be mishandled. While proper accounting of their travels can be documented through Gerry, it seems to me that having the Foundation's Trustees participating in the collection and distribution of these funds serves to provide a further level of separation between the CFC's general revenue and the Youth Fund. Whether this is necessary or even truly beneficial is another question, but the conversation continues.

The newsletter is another hot topic lately. We are currently in search of a new editor, with two applications in and plenty of time left for more to follow. If you would like to be involved in the hiring process, I'd like to set up a small hiring committee, so be in touch and we'll see what can be arranged. Also related to the newsletter is the list of those that have failed to receive it. Unfortunately, Gerry indicated to me that he deleted every e-mail message that indicated a bounce and we seem to have no other recourse than to request of each member that they let us know if they have yet to receive the summer issue. My hope is that we are able to be a little more diligent going forward, as it is not my intention to deprive members of this service.

As some of you may recall from the AGM this summer, the issue of our tax status was briefly touched upon. In this vein, we are working towards designation as a Registered Canadian Amateur Athletic Association (RCAAA). We are nowhere near ready to make a submission yet, but we should be in a position to think about doing so sometime in or around New Year's.

The last item I'll touch on is the 2011-12 tournament calendar. All of our major events have been awarded and we are well-situated to start receiving bids for 2013. As Tournament Coordinator, I will leave it to Vlad Drkulec to describe what efforts he may have undertaken so far to solicit interest in the 2012-13 calendar. In the meantime, I gave the organizing committees of each upcoming event an opportunity to relay a message to the governors as a means of providing an update. I received two responses, which are below.

Roger Patterson (2012 Canadian Open):

For the Canadian Open:

- we have finalized the contract with the hotel
- finalized prize fund distribution and posted a website
- begun contacting marquee players
- established separate bank account for financing.

David Cohen (2011 Canadian Women's):

Michael, CFC Governors,

Everything is moving along for the 15th Canadian Women's Championship 2011, to be held Thanksgiving Weekend at the Annex Chess Club in Toronto. With the help of the CFC, and a little extra work of my own on Facebook and Linked-In, I sent out personalized invitations to over 75 female players. So far, 5 players are registered, with 7 more promised to enter. Each entry raises $50 for the CFC's Olympiad Fund for our Women's Team.

Regards,

David

I have also received an enquiry regarding the 2012 Canadian Junior - may the prize winner put the travel bursary towards participation in the PanAm Junior, as opposed to the World Junior? I suggested to the party involved that I would allow the govenors to discuss it, as we do have some lead-up time and some of you may wish to revisit the by-law concerned. I will expect some clear feedback by the end of this meeting, however, which will likely come in the form of a YES/NO poll.

So, for now, that's all and I look forward to productive discussions over the course of the next week.

Best wishes,

Michael von Keitz
President, Chess Federation of Canada

Michael von Keitz made his report, as quoted above.