PDA

View Full Version : Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships?

Kevin Pacey
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I put the following initial post of mine on the CFC Governors Private Discussion Board. The question posed might be worth discussing in this public forum too:

"Can we increase the number of seniors with CFC memberships??

This is a question I've been pondering without success for some time, and I am wondering if anyone can come up with any ideas that can be polished and proposed at a meeting of the assembly of governors at some point.

The CMA has been thinking of getting into the seniors 'market', as I learned from Larry Bevand on the old version of chesstalk years ago.

Unlike the CFC, the CMA would have the resources, for example, to send their paid chess instructors into establishments frequented by seniors.

The CFC could try to somehow encourage the organization of more seniors tournaments, but do we have sufficent means? Is a large scale CECC, or Canadian Elders Chess Championship, program feasible?

I rejected the idea of proposing cheaper CFC membership fees for seniors, at least for the time being, if only because the risk of a net revenue loss seems unacceptable given the thin margin that we have at this time."

Kevin Pacey
09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Regarding the Canadian Elders Chess Championships idea, sections could naturally be done either by rating class or possibly even by age (e.g. 60-65, 66-70, 71-75, 76-80, 81-85, 86-90, 91+).

Although there is no World Elders Chess Championships as yet, at least provincial elders championships contests could be staged province by province within Canada, culminating in the national elders championships.

Kevin Pacey
09-29-2011, 02:37 PM
In case clarification is needed, I am well aware there is a Canadian Seniors CC already. I've suggested a CECC rather than CSCC to avoid confusion, like a CYCC is not to be confused with the Canadian Junior Chess Championship.