PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Autumn Open: new kids section, and other changes

Aris Marghetis
09-12-2011, 01:32 PM
EOCA Tournaments webpage : http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2011-12.html

Hi chess fans, the EOCA (Eastern Ontario Chess Association) is pleased to officially announce the first event of the 2011-2012 EOCA Grand Prix. The Ottawa Autumn Open will be 5 rounds, from Friday, September 30th, to Sunday, October 2nd. Even though there remain many similarities to previous events by this Organizer/TD, there will also be some big new changes. Full details are posted on the EOCA website, and here are some of the highlights :

- A separate new section just for children, rated only CMA.
- A separate new round-robin section for the top players.
- 2 main sections, both rated CFC, and 1 also rated FIDE.
- Gradually decreasing accelerated pairings for all Swiss.
- Simplified discounts, can email ahead of onsite late fee.
- There is no longer an evening round on the Saturday.

Registrations have already started coming in. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at your convenience. With these changes to the sections, intended to encourage competitive battles against a variety of opponents of appropriate ability, we are hoping to attract record numbers! :)

Yours in chess,

Aris Marghetis, FIDE Arbiter
Organizer/TD, EOCA President
arismarghetis at rogers dot com

entries posted @ ChessTalk : http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Erik Malmsten
09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Can you expalin how the acceleratino works.

Round 1 divided into 3 groups (phantom points 1, 0,5, and 0)

Round 2 divided in half (phantom points 1 and 0, or group with 1 in first round kept but 0,5 dropped?).

Or 2 phantom points in round 1, then 1 phantom point in round 2??

Aris Marghetis
09-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Can you expalin how the acceleratino works.

Round 1 divided into 3 groups (phantom points 1, 0,5, and 0)

Round 2 divided in half (phantom points 1 and 0, or group with 1 in first round kept but 0,5 dropped?).

Or 2 phantom points in round 1, then 1 phantom point in round 2??
Hi Erik, in the 1st round, I was going to split each Swiss section by rating, into 3 parts, and add 1, 0.5, and 0 points, respectively. In the 2nd round, I was going to split each Swiss section by rating, into 2 parts, and add 0.5 and 0 points, respectively. I have experimented with this method previously, a few years ago during single-day Active tournaments with a very broad rating range, and we had surprisingly few mismatches.

After the event, I would be happy to discuss how many mismatches actually occurred.

Erik Malmsten
09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Erik, in the 1st round, I was going to split each Swiss section by rating, into 3 parts, and add 1, 0.5, and 0 points, respectively. In the 2nd round, I was going to split each Swiss section by rating, into 2 parts, and add 0.5 and 0 points, respectively. I have experimented with this method previously, a few years ago during single-day Active tournaments with a very broad rating range, and we had surprisingly few mismatches.

After the event, I would be happy to discuss how many mismatches actually occurred.

I think the Capeele la Grande system in France does 3 parts: 2, 1 and 0, and they even have 7 of 9 rounds with phantom points. I like your shift by 0.5 rather than 1 down to 0. Could even have 3 rounds 1.5, 1, then 0.5. The problem is how mixmatched are the parings when the phantom points are removed, and how it will affect the final results. And also how a first round swiss gambit will give easier pairings.

I think acceleration is only desirable if there is a large rating range, such as over 400 points for first round pairings. Do you find it necessary for all your sections?