PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Rating Class titles motions

Christopher Mallon
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
First Draft.

Motion #1
That the CFC Handbook be amended as follows:

Delete Section 738 (Certificate of Life Master) and replace with:

Section 738. Rating Categories, Titles and Certificates.

a) The CFC officially recognizes the following titles, rating classes and CFC rating floors: National Master (2200), National Candidate Master (2000), Category A (1800), Category B (1600), Category C (1400), Category D (1200), and Category E (1000).

b) To achieve standing for any category or title, the player must:
i. Have at some point had a published CFC rating above the minimum rating floor for that category or title
ii. Have in three separate tournaments achieved a norm, which is a performance rating at least 100 points above the rating floor
iii. For the purposes of these norms, only CFC ratings count, and the player must have played at least five games.
iv. Matches may not be used as a norm.
v. An event can be used as a norm for multiple classes - for example, a 2300 performance vent can be a norm used by the same player for Class A, National Candidate Master AND National Master.

c) Certificates. The CFC will provide, free of charge, certificates to those who achieve the title of National Master or any higher title that the CFC chooses to award. Certificates for lower titles or categories are not automatically provided, but may be requested. The CFC Executive is empowered to set a fee for this service not to exceed $10 including shipping.

Motion #2

To be abandoned should Motion #1 not pass. That Section 738 a) of the CFC Handbook be amended as follows:

Insert "Senior National Master (2400)," prior to "National Master".

I split it into 2 motions because I do not want people opposed to the SNM title to possibly delay or even derail the whole motion as has happened in the past with other motions.

Christopher Mallon
08-07-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm interested to hear member's comment on this, it's something I've been interested in for a while. Might even be enough to get me playing regularly again :)

Victoria Doknjas
08-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Chris,

I think this is a great idea! This definitely gives players something to shoot for. I'd like to make some suggestions:

1. The title of "National Master" sounds good, but are there better title names other than "Category A", "Category B", etc.? Even for the title of "National Candidate Master"...maybe "National Chess Expert" sounds better??
- I'm actually not that well versed in official chess names/titles, so I defer to those more in know.

2. It would be nice for these certificates to be presented to the recipient at a tournament, if possible, instead of just receiving it in the mail. Just like at this year's Canadian Open, where a number of people received their titled certificates.
- This serves 3 folds: 1. The recipient receives acknowledgement for his/her accomplishment in front of peers; 2. This may encourage others to work towards their own CFC certificate; and 3. "Advertises" to others that these CFC certificates exist.

3. Could these "fancy" CFC certificates be posted (you can do a watermark like "do not duplcate" on them so people don't just print their own) somewhere on the CFC website for all to see and covet? Maybe even have a write up as to how players can earn these certificates (as Chris has outlined).

Just my 2 cents.

Victoria

Christopher Mallon
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi Chris,

I think this is a great idea! This definitely gives players something to shoot for. I'd like to make some suggestions:

1. The title of "National Master" sounds good, but are there better title names other than "Category A", "Category B", etc.? Even for the title of "National Candidate Master"...maybe "National Chess Expert" sounds better??
- I'm actually not that well versed in official chess names/titles, so I defer to those more in know.

2. It would be nice for these certificates to be presented to the recipient at a tournament, if possible, instead of just receiving it in the mail. Just like at this year's Canadian Open, where a number of people received their titled certificates.
- This serves 3 folds: 1. The recipient receives acknowledgement for his/her accomplishment in front of peers; 2. This may encourage others to work towards their own CFC certificate; and 3. "Advertises" to others that these CFC certificates exist.

3. Could these "fancy" CFC certificates be posted (you can do a watermark like "do not duplcate" on them so people don't just print their own) somewhere on the CFC website for all to see and covet? Maybe even have a write up as to how players can earn these certificates (as Chris has outlined).

Just my 2 cents.

Victoria

1. Candidate Master is the normal chess way of saying Expert... that's why I chose it. I don't think we need fancy names for the category titles; let people aim for the fancy ones above 2000!

2. Certainly possible however I'm not going to make it mandatory in the motion - it would be up to the Executive at the time how to present it.

3. It should be possible to post a heavily watermarked example of each one on the website yes.

Thanks for the comments!

Vladimir Drkulec
08-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I will second both motions. Splitting the motions to increase the likelihood of getting such a system in place makes sense.

Denton Cockburn
08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I very much support all both these motions! It's about time really.
Anything that increases the value of the CFC rating system is a good thing.

A big condition to this is that the CFC should publicize whoever holds these titles. I've suggested it before, but I think it's definitely necessary to post lists of titled players (including these new category titles), on the CFC website somewhere (that's easily accessible).

Looking forward to my certificate,
Denton

Denton Cockburn
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
A question Chris: When will this motion actually be forwarded and voted on?

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
A question Chris: When will this motion actually be forwarded and voted on?

As the motions have a seconder, it should go into the Fall online meeting (no date yet) and the decision might be done at that time. In principle the new title might be implemented the next year. :)

Christopher Mallon
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
The Fall meeting by default should be the first week of October unless otherwise scheduled?

Erik Malmsten
08-13-2011, 06:41 PM
1. Candidate Master is the normal chess way of saying Expert... that's why I chose it. I don't think we need fancy names for the category titles; let people aim for the fancy ones above 2000!

2. Certainly possible however I'm not going to make it mandatory in the motion - it would be up to the Executive at the time how to present it.

3. It should be possible to post a heavily watermarked example of each one on the website yes.

Thanks for the comments!

Candidate Master sounds stronger and is less confusing than Expert.

To me "Category" is an awful-sounding word. I prefer to be known as an A-class or B-class player (or club player, patzer, hack, cheapo player, woodpusher). The significant information given first, not the word Category. At least have the "A" or "B" a much larger font.

What about Canadian Grandmaster for 2600 or 2700???

I would assume that the CFC wouldn't mail these certificates to CFC members for free; so what would be a reasonable fee? $19.95.

Denton Cockburn
08-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Candidate Master sounds stronger and is less confusing than Expert.

To me "Category" is an awful-sounding word. I prefer to be known as an A-class or B-class player (or club player, patzer, hack, cheapo player, woodpusher). The significant information given first, not the word Category. At least have the "A" or "B" a much larger font.

I would assume that the CFC wouldn't mail these certificates to CFC members for free; so what would be a reasonable fee? $19.95.

Currently the NM title is free, so I hope that doesn't change, at least not before I ask for mine next week :)

Valer Eugen Demian
08-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Anywhere in the World national federations cover domestic titles up to the minimum adult FIDE level of FM. That means the domestic titles do not go beyond NM (National Master). There are several reasons why this system used quite comfortably by others could work smoothly here without inventing un-necessary titles such as SNM (Senior National Master) and CGM (Canadian Grandmaster).

Egidijus Zeromskis
08-15-2011, 11:43 PM
That means the domestic titles do not go beyond NM (National Master)

At least there is one exclusion: Russia - they have master, international-class master (мастер спорта России международного класса), and grandmaster.

Valer Eugen Demian
08-16-2011, 07:55 PM
At least there is one exclusion: Russia - they have master, international-class master (мастер спорта России международного класса), and grandmaster.

Never heard of them even when I lived in Romania. This could give a good indication how important they really were/ are...