PDA

View Full Version : 2011 CYCC Surplus - Resolution

Michael von Keitz
07-21-2011, 09:28 PM
The CFC Executive would like to announce a resolution recently reached on the issue of the distribution of surplus funds garnered at the 2011 edition of the CYCC. After negotiation, the agreement is that:

a) 30% of the $18,200 surplus will be distributed as cash prizes pro rata to the amounts previously announced;

b) 70% of the $18,200 surplus will be distributed as bursaries to those entrants in the 2011 WYCC who were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd-place finishers at the 2011 CYCC pro rata to the amounts previously announced; and

c) the remaining balance, should not all 36 qualifiers enter the 2011 WYCC, will go to those qualifiers that do enter the 2011 WYCC pro rata to the amounts they will have previously received.

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
07-21-2011, 09:46 PM
The CFC Executive would like to announce a resolution recently reached on the issue of the distribution of surplus funds garnered at the 2011 edition of the CYCC. After negotiation, the agreement is that:

a) 30% of the $18,200 surplus will be distributed as cash prizes pro rata to the amounts previously announced;

b) 70% of the $18,200 surplus will be distributed as bursaries to those entrants in the 2011 WYCC who were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd-place finishers at the 2011 CYCC pro rata to the amounts previously announced; and

c) the remaining balance, should not all 36 qualifiers enter the 2011 WYCC, will go to those qualifiers that do enter the 2011 WYCC pro rata to the amounts they will have previously received.

Congratulations on the resolution of this issue.

Great news. :)

Regards,

Mark S. Dutton,I.A.
Vice President, CFC
markdutton@shaw.ca

Kerry Liles
07-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Is it correct to assume that this was a decision of the (new) CFC Executive and it was not brought before the Governors? (I just want the answer to be stated explicitly for the record and would presume it will also be documented in the next GL as well.)

Bob Armstrong
07-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Kerry:

At the AGM, the governors referred this to the Executive, for them to negotiate and finalize a resolution.

Bob

Ken Craft
07-22-2011, 08:12 AM
From Spragget's Blog: Personally, I have no problem with the awarding of bursaries (Susan Polgar's youth activities in the States awards hundreds of thousands of dollars of such bursaries to youngsters each year) for those who finish high in the CYCC, but the introduction of prize money (in the order of thousands of dollars) into kiddy chess is something that many will find unacceptable.

A black day for chess in Canada and one more sign of how the current CFC leadership is destroying chess.

Bob Armstrong
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
I thought the executive settlement of the CYCC surpus issue was reasonable, given the internal conflict in the CYCC Organizing Committee, and the lack of clarity in the bid, and minimized the possible damage - not a black day at all, in my opinion.

Bob

Ken Craft
07-22-2011, 08:44 AM
You should read the rest of what KS had to say on the issue, Bob.

Christopher Mallon
07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Allowing even 0.1% of the money to be paid out as cash prizes seems to contradict the bid document, and sets a really horrible precedent in my opinion.

Paul Leblanc
07-22-2011, 10:42 AM
What is the impact on potential funding for participants in the Pan American and North American Youth Championships?

Victor Plotkin
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I think organizing commettee made just "wording mistake" using word surplus. They could call 18.200 CAD "expenses" and use this money for example as
1. Donation to developing sport in Nicaragua.
2. Salary to members of organizing commettee.
3. Prize money for 1-3 places.

3 option looks much better to me.

Proposal for money distribution was VERY logical and included 2 important points.

1. More players in the section - bigger prize fund for 1-3 places.
2. Player who doesn't want to go to WYCC (for whatever reason) still can win some money. Right now we have the situation: if strong player has no intention to go to WYCC (or other international tournaments) he or she has no reason to play in CYCC. Providing some cash prizes could attract this player to participate in CYCC and increase the importance and strengh of the national championship.

Valer Eugen Demian
07-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I think organizing commettee made just "wording mistake" using word surplus. They could call 18.200 CAD "expenses" and use this money for example as
1. Donation to developing sport in Nicaragua.
2. Salary to members of organizing commettee.
3. Prize money for 1-3 places.

3 option looks much better to me.

Proposal for money distribution was VERY logical and included 2 important points.

1. More players in the section - bigger prize fund for 1-3 places.
2. Player who doesn't want to go to WYCC (for whatever reason) still can win some money. Right now we have the situation: if strong player has no intention to go to WYCC (or other international tournaments) he or she has no reason to play in CYCC. Providing some cash prizes could attract this player to participate in CYCC and increase the importance and strengh of the national championship.

Does this mean we are going to promote junior chess in Canada from now on by offering money prizes at CYCC? This is a very dangerous and slippery slope...

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Does this mean we are going to promote junior chess in Canada from now on by offering money prizes at CYCC? This is a very dangerous and slippery slope...

It just means that the organizers did a very good job and attracted more participants then planned. The bid projected in the best case 200 players, but with more concerns that there could be much less players.

Valer Eugen Demian
07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
It just means that the organizers did a very good job and attracted more participants then planned. The bid projected in the best case 200 players, but with more concerns that there could be much less players.

A good planner saves money (a percentage) for tougher times; not sure why we need to be generous and spend it all to the last cent right off the bat. I thought this was implied in my original question...

Just to post another option for the "surplus" and still be very helpful to all selected:
4. Gather a fund to atract proper coaching for the national team going to WYCC.

Honestly the above should be more important than sending/ accepting siblings to WYCC, but it could be just me thinking out loud.

Fred McKim
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Allowing even 0.1% of the money to be paid out as cash prizes seems to contradict the bid document, and sets a really horrible precedent in my opinion.

As a member of the Executive we had to take a action that in consideration of the events that had already happened, everybody would be able to live with at the end of the day.

I think it will be safe to say there will be no cash prizes at the 2012 CYCC or for a long time to come.

Having said that, I think there is something to be said for the organizers to be able to negotiate fwith the CFC for some of any excess over the balanced budget.

Les Bunning
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
In some years the CYCC generates a profit but in other years it does not and the CFC is asked to subsidise the event. I believe it would be more prudent for part of a surplus to be retained in a special fund for use in future years when the event is not so successful.
Les Bunning

Michael Barron
07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
In some years the CYCC generates a profit but in other years it does not and the CFC is asked to subsidise the event. I believe it would be more prudent for part of a surplus to be retained in a special fund for use in future years when the event is not so successful.
Les Bunning

Les,

Could you please be more specific?

The known facts are following:
2007 - the CYCC generates a profit and part of a surplus was retained by the CFC in a special fund for use in future years when the event is not so successful;
2008 - the CFC was asked to subsidise the event, but responded that it has no money; no report provided where the retained money from the previous year was gone;
2009 - the CYCC generates a profit;
2010 - the CYCC generates a profit;
2011 - the CYCC generates a profit.

Could you please explain these facts?

Kerry Liles
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Les,

Could you please be more specific?

The known facts are following:
2007 - the CYCC generates a profit and part of a surplus was retained by the CFC in a special fund for use in future years when the event is not so successful;
2008 - the CFC was asked to subsidise the event, but responded that it has no money; no report provided where the retained money from the previous year was gone;
2009 - the CYCC generates a profit;
2010 - the CYCC generates a profit;
2011 - the CYCC generates a profit.

Could you please explain these facts?

What was the result in 2008 - a profit or loss for the CYCC?
(just to be consistent with the other years in that list)

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM

An assumption - it was a loss.
From minutes:
This year, the CYCC will have a shortfall in earnings required to pay for the trips to Viet Nam, but there was enough remaining from the previous CYCC to cover this shortfall.
http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/08-09gl1.pdf

Michael Barron
07-28-2011, 10:51 PM

Kerry,

To be clear: CYCC always generates a profit. This profit is called "WYCC fund" and usually sent to the CFC to fund Canadians' trip to WYCC.
What is not clear: How the CFC actually spend these funds?

Bob Gillanders explained at the AGM, that now it's practically impossible to understand how $54,000 generated by 2007 CYCC were spent.
But he promised to present financial report how were spent $20,000 generated by 2010 CYCC.
Now we all awaiting for his report... ;)

Kerry Liles
07-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Kerry,

To be clear: CYCC always generates a profit. This profit is called "WYCC fund" and usually sent to the CFC to fund Canadians' trip to WYCC.
What is not clear: How the CFC actually spend these funds?

Bob Gillanders explained at the AGM, that now it's practically impossible to understand how $54,000 generated by 2007 CYCC were spent.
But he promised to present financial report how were spent $20,000 generated by 2010 CYCC.
Now we all awaiting for his report... ;)

Thanks Michael. I hope I was not the only one who did not realize the CYCC always generates a profit! Of course, the questions about where that goes are important and I guess we will see soon from the report.

Vladimir Drkulec
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks Michael. I hope I was not the only one who did not realize the CYCC always generates a profit! Of course, the questions about where that goes are important and I guess we will see soon from the report.

It would be hard to see with those huge entry fees how it could not generate a profit. It doesn't always generate a surplus for the organizers because they have to make large commitments to the CFC in order to secure the bid.

Michael Barron
08-07-2011, 10:27 PM
It would be hard to see with those huge entry fees how it could not generate a profit. It doesn't always generate a surplus for the organizers because they have to make large commitments to the CFC in order to secure the bid.

Vlad,

I would say the CFC always generates a surplus for the organizers, they just not always provide financial report - like it was done this year:
http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1868

We're still waiting for CFC Youth Program financial report promised by Bob Gillanders at the AGM...

Bob Gillanders
08-07-2011, 10:39 PM
We're still waiting for CFC Youth Program financial report promised by Bob Gillanders at the AGM...

Yes yes Michael.....I will get to it after a little R&R, no need to keep reminding me. :rolleyes:

Michael Barron
08-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes yes Michael.....I will get to it after a little R&R, no need to keep reminding me. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Bob!
Could you please let us know:
When could we expect the report?

Ken Craft
08-09-2011, 07:28 AM
This is turning into public badgering, Michael.

Victor Plotkin
08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
As a member of youth commettee I would be happy to see Mr. Gilander's report about 2010. Almost 2 months after AGM. Enough. Report supposes to take less then 1 hour. Or we can go to 2007 case - if somebody wants it?

Jonathan Berry
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
An association of chess parents has been around in Mexico for a long time, but this English Chess Parents Guild (http://www.chessparents.org.uk) might bump them from the attention of non-speakers of Spanish.

Victor Plotkin
08-31-2011, 10:37 PM
As usual I don't understand Mr. Berry. Probably he is too smart for me.

Kerry Liles
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
As usual I don't understand Mr. Berry. Probably he is too smart for me.

I must admit that I often fail to understand some or all of his posts... however, in this case, I think he was wondering if having an association of Parents of chess-playing kids might be worthwhile? If you read the "about" information at the link he provided:

http://www.chessparents.org.uk/?page_id=4

you will see this:

"Similar to good schools having active parent teacher associations, national-level chess can now benefit from organised parents. Our mission is simply to support youth chess in England. We are also prepared to support youth chess in other areas of the United Kingdom, should parents there so desire." etc

I do not know if an association of chess parents would be contributing to the problem or the solution... I also look forward to the report on the CYCC surplus resolution...

Bob Gillanders
09-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I also look forward to the report on the CYCC surplus resolution...

Actually Kerry, Victor and Michael are waiting for a report for 2010. It is coming, I have 90% of it since it is based on the budget done by Michael last year. What I do need is some time with Gerry to finalize the report. As I stated earlier, I put it on the back burner for a bit. August is always a very busy time for the CFC office, mainly due to the WYCC preparations. And this year, there is an additional workload due to the transition to the new website, learning curve and all that good stuff.

Patrick and Gerry are very busy now with preparations for the WYCC. It is a big job for them both, and this year we have an extraordinary large group. :D I don't want to sidetrack them with my demands at this time.

There is no urgency for the 2010 report, but I haven't forgotten it. Also, we will be giving a full report on 2011 once the WYCC is finished. Better, more detailed and transparent youth program reports going forward is the plan. :D

Michael Barron
09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Actually Kerry, Victor and Michael are waiting for a report for 2010. It is coming, I have 90% of it since it is based on the budget done by Michael last year. What I do need is some time with Gerry to finalize the report. As I stated earlier, I put it on the back burner for a bit. August is always a very busy time for the CFC office, mainly due to the WYCC preparations. And this year, there is an additional workload due to the transition to the new website, learning curve and all that good stuff.

Patrick and Gerry are very busy now with preparations for the WYCC. It is a big job for them both, and this year we have an extraordinary large group. :D I don't want to sidetrack them with my demands at this time.

There is no urgency for the 2010 report, but I haven't forgotten it. Also, we will be giving a full report on 2011 once the WYCC is finished. Better, more detailed and transparent youth program reports going forward is the plan. :D

Thank you, Bob!

"Better, more detailed and transparent youth program reports going forward" - it's a great plan!

Looking forward to your reports!

By the way, could you please provide more information about the WYCC preparation?
Who are on the Canadian team?

Bob Gillanders
09-03-2011, 06:04 AM
By the way, could you please provide more information about the WYCC preparation?
Who are on the Canadian team?

I will pass on your request to Patrick, Gerry, and Michael. :)