PDA

View Full Version : International News Today - July 14, 2011

Fred McKim
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
After 5 rounds at the Canadian Open in Toronto, there is a 4 way tie for 1st between GM's Bator Sambuev and Walter Arencibia (CUB), and IM's Leonid Gerzhoy and Irina Krush (USA).

Today's board 1 and 2 pairings are:
Krush - Sambuev
Arencibia - Gerzhoy

Thirteen players are just a half point back (4/5). They include Canadians: GM Bluvshtein, IM's Noritsyn, Samsonkin, Hebert, Krnan, and FM Cheng.

Last night I was on the edge of my easy chair at home watching Sambuev's game with tournament leader Perelshteyn. I stopped around move 35 for other duties and it was getting late here in the Atlantic time zone, but I thought (hoped) he was starting to get an edge with the g file (but I'm only 2000, so what do I know). I saw the nice conclusion of the game, today.

Some other good Canadian results yesterday include Jean Hebert and Artiom Samsonkin scoring draws with their GM opponents and Leonid Gerzhoy defeating a fellow IM.

I just read on ChessBase that Chennai, India appears to be on the verge of being awarded the 2012 World Chess Championship. The bid has a budget of something like $ 4.5 million US.