PDA

View Full Version : International News Today - July 5, 2011

Fred McKim
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Web site issues have kept me from posting for the past week, but I hope to get back on track.

Fabiano Caruana took 1st place at the AAI International with a final score of 7/10 and a 2800 (on the nose) performance rating. Sasikiran, Laznicka, and So followed with 6, 5.5, and 5 respectively.

The 2011 Commonwealth Champion is British GM Gawain Jones who edged out Nigel Short on tie-break points in the South African event that finished on Sunday.

Another recent event was the Russian Higher League Championship that qualified three players to the Russian Super-Final in August. Alexander Morozevich made a victorious return to the chess board with a first place victory. The other two spots went to Timofeev and Galkin.

The World Open finished yesterday with top rated players Kamsky and Adams tied for 1st. Adams chose black for the Armageddon game, but Kamsky was victorious to take the title. The website still doesn't have final results up (!), but putting together Round 8 totals with final round pgn results, I get the following top Canadian results: Plotkin 5.5, Calugar 5.5, Bluvshtein 5, Gerzhoy 5, and Thavandiran 4.5 (but I don't know his final round result).