PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Debate: Olympics

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-04-2011, 01:56 PM
The next term 2011/12 will be closely connected to Olympics. (Though the next next term would take all congratulations or curses.)

How will you, as the President, increase donations to Olympic teams? OK, a forthright question: do you have friend who will support the teams significantly ? :D
What will you do to prepare teams for the main competition?

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Henson

I noticed that you often misspell his last name. He is Eric Hansen. Similar to Hans Christian Andersen, the fairy tale writer. ;)

Bob Gillanders
07-04-2011, 05:39 PM
The next term 2011/12 will be closely connected to Olympics. (Though the next next term would take all congratulations or curses.)

How will you, as the President, increase donations to Olympic teams? OK, a forthright question: do you have friend who will support the teams significantly ? :D

Holy cow man. :eek:
You expect the next President to have friends who will sponsor the Olympic team, and it would appear you expect el Presidente to personally coach the team as well. Geez man, didn't you get the memo about not scaring away Presidential candidates. :mad:

IMHO, if anyone cares, our Olympic teams should be comprised solely from players who play in Canada regularly. We have lots of great players, we will have an awesome team in 2012. And, IMHO, the women's team should get equal support. :)

Fred McKim
07-04-2011, 10:47 PM
IMHO, if anyone cares, our Olympic teams should be comprised solely from players who play in Canada regularly. We have lots of great players, we will have an awesome team in 2012. And, IMHO, the women's team should get equal support. :)

Bob if you feel the Olympic teams should be comprised soley by players who play in Canada you should make a motion to that effect.

At present, none of the 3 players by selection rating have to play a game in Canada.

Christopher Mallon
07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
The last time we made a major change (or perhaps the time before that) I proposed a 20 game minimum in the 1-year qualifying period, with 10 of those played in Canada. I was told that that was far too onerous.

Pierre Dénommée
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
The program for our national teams had repetitively been able to raise enough donation to send both teams to the Olympiads. This program is working well and shouldn't be the first thing to change.

Larry Bevand
07-05-2011, 03:29 PM
The program for our national teams had repetitively been able to raise enough donation to send both teams to the Olympiads. This program is working well and shouldn't be the first thing to change.

I agree.

There are a good number of people out there who want to see our top players at the Olympics (myself included...yet I have only donated personally on one occasion...) and are willing to put their money where their mouth is. The CFC should put someone who is part of that community, in charge of fundraising...giving recognition and covering the event from the Canadian perspective. ...donors of over x dollars get an exclusive daily update during the event via e-mail for example. A get together with the Canadian team and donors after the event would be a nice touch....etc. etc.

Done properly (which it has been in some years), this can easily become a big CFC asset.

Handled by the right people....this is a winning move!

Larry

Michael von Keitz
07-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I would like to delegate this particular task to more capable hands. The last Olympic fundraising effort ultimately provided full funding to both teams, with Hal Bond at the helm. I have privately confirmed with him that he is willing to Chair the fundraising committee again; however, in turn, he is also willing to give way to those more capable, if they are willing to take on the task.

Christopher Mallon
07-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Except that it already HAS changed in that we can't give donation tax receipts anymore.

Kerry Liles
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Is it not the case that the CFC made up the shortfall for the last Olympics because the donations were not sufficient?

Ken Craft
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
That's correct. The fundraising did not cover the expenses.

Egidijus Zeromskis
07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Thank you to Candidates for answers.

Hal Bond
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I suppose it depends on your perspective. $4000 was budgeted to support the Olympic Teams. The CFC actually contributed less than half this amount in the end.

So saying, the last 2 Olympic Fundraising drives have been nail biters, and would have fallen well short without some large donations. The donations need to be acknowledged better, with some inducements for certain levels of support, as Larry B suggested.

I took over the 2010 drive late, when no one else would, and agreed to do it again this time round in absence of another volunteer. (I believe this happened at the last online meeting) I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

If other individuals are interested in becoming involved in the 2012 campaign I am all ears! I am looking forward to seeing an awesome national team in action. The Women's team is a slight concern frankly, since our top players are not currently active.

Kerry Liles
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
I suppose it depends on your perspective. $4000 was budgeted to support the Olympic Teams. The CFC actually contributed less than half this amount in the end.

So saying, the last 2 Olympic Fundraising drives have been nail biters, and would have fallen well short without some large donations. The donations need to be acknowledged better, with some inducements for certain levels of support, as Larry B suggested.

I took over the 2010 drive late, when no one else would, and agreed to do it again this time round in absence of another volunteer. (I believe this happened at the last online meeting) I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

If other individuals are interested in becoming involved in the 2012 campaign I am all ears! I am looking forward to seeing an awesome national team in action. The Women's team is a slight concern frankly, since our top players are not currently active.

Inactivity of the top players should be a Major concern because sending the B- or C- team because the top players don't even qualify has to make getting donations pretty much impossible.

Perhaps many of the potential team members are going to play in the Canadian Open and "cram" all or most of their qualification into one tournament - I guess that satisfies the letter of the regulations...

Christopher Mallon
07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
That's why the requirement should be 20 games with 10 in Canada. That's 3 major or 4 minor events.

roger patterson
07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
... I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

I'll plug our Olympiad fundraiser here: Sept. 17 in Victoria. http://victoriachessclub.pbworks.com/w/page/27484953/Victoria-Chess-Fundraiser

It's not too early to start organizing Olympic Waive events. :-)

Although we don't participate in the Olympic Waive program, preferring our own cost format, I agree that these tournaments (and low cost active tournaments in general) are a good way to slowly introduce new people to tournament chess.

Hal Bond
07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I read about your event Roger. Awesome!! Thankyou for pitching in.

roger patterson
07-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I read about your event Roger. Awesome!! Thankyou for pitching in.

maybe you can get the olympiad thermometer updated to reflect the new fundraising season. I know of at least one donation that should be listed.

(and while I'm on the topic - perhaps the description of the CFC as having charitable tax status should be changed as well)>

Vladimir Drkulec
07-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Inactivity of the top players should be a Major concern because sending the B- or C- team because the top players don't even qualify has to make getting donations pretty much impossible.

Perhaps many of the potential team members are going to play in the Canadian Open and "cram" all or most of their qualification into one tournament - I guess that satisfies the letter of the regulations...

Several of the candidates for the women's team are at the CYCC and others along with the younger ones at the CYCC are going to be at the Canadian Open as well. There is lots of time to get in the required number of games.

Valer Eugen Demian
07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Several of the candidates for the women's team are at the CYCC and others along with the younger ones at the CYCC are going to be at the Canadian Open as well. There is lots of time to get in the required number of games.

This is very true. Traditionally the younger women have always played nationally (CYCC, Canadian Open) to support chess locally. I would not be concerned about this aspect at all; however I would be concerned about the type of decisions we might come up with and upset a younger generation which gives more back to CFC than all older generations of players!...