PDA

View Full Version : Hart House Reading Week - Report

Alex Ferreira
02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Hello all,

There were 106 participants in total, pretty evenly spread out between the 4 playing sections. Everything was decided in the last round.

U1600 Section:

Alexandre Michelashvili took clear first with 5.0/6, ahead of fellow juniors Richard Chen & Yinshi Li, who finished tied for 2nd and 3rd.

U1900 Section:

Tied for 1st and 2nd were Jayson Huang & Shafkat Ali.
In clear third came jr Qiyu Zhou.

U2200 Section:

Ahead of the favourites, Mike Ivanov snatched another victory at a Hart House tournament, clear 1st with 5.0/6.
Closely behind, tied for 2nd - 4th, were David Southam, Tyler Longo and Yelizaveta Orlova.
The vicious over-the-board Hart House trio composed of Geordie, Haizhou and Kit although performing respectably, had to settle for 4 points.

Open Section:

A very strong section, saw IM Nikolay Noritsyn and Master Arthur Calugar share 1st place, with 5.0/6. Not without their challenges, Nikolay came back after a Round 2 loss to Yaqoov Vaingorten, to top off the tournament with a convincing Round 6 win over tournament surprise Rick Lahaye, visiting from the Netherlands. Arthur was the only player in the section without losing a game, fighting hard to the bitter end of every game, converting drawn games into wins, and ending Bator Sambuev's streak of 34 games without a loss, with black in Round 6.
Bindi Cheng finished clear 3rd with 4.5 points

Sharing the U2300 prize, with 3.5 points were Vladimir Birarov, Michael Kleinman & Kevin Wu.

Team Prize:

Possibly the tournament where this category was most competitive, with half the teams being well in contention in the last round. In the end, there was a tie between 'Crazy Cats' (Shafkat Ali, David Southam, John Brown & Robert Bzikot) and 'Bator Up' (Bator Sambuev, Mike Ivanov, Roman Sapozhnikov & John Zhang).

Congratulations to all the winners!

If you have a prize to claim, please e-mail me at alex(dot)ferreira(at)utoronto(dot)ca

Some games were posted on the web, at www.chess5.com by Ian Mahoney and Haizhou Xu. I'll try to put up some more soon. You can click on "Public Games" and may click the title of the tournament to filter the list of only this tournament's games.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who made this tournament possible.
Bryan Lamb manages to have everything under control on-site, even when I have no clue what's happening. Bryan seems to be the only organizer / arbiter involved in most tournaments in the Toronto area, consistently providing an opportunity to the biggest community in Canada to play the game we love.
Leading up to the tournament and on-site, no strangers to Hart House tournaments, a group of chess nuts helped the tournament run smoothly. Thanks to Haizhou Xu, Leon Perelman, Abeer Rahman, Geordie Derraugh, Kit Ng, Rob Roller, Michael von Keitz, Ian Mahoney, Tyler Longo & Day Milman.

There are no scheduled tournaments at Hart House for the near future. Our traditional Summer Open will not run, as there are plenty of big events coming up in the Toronto area. After re-assessing a few things and regrouping over the Summer, I am confident we'll be back in the new school year :)

Thank you all for coming, and hope you enjoyed,

Alex Ferreira
Hart House Chess Club