PDA

View Full Version : Chess The Musical

David Cohen
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
In 2010, a new version of "Chess The Musical" began touring the United Kingdom. The Toronto Star's theatre critic, Richard Ouzounian, happened to be over there, and wrote a great review: 'Chess problem is solved at last' (2010.10.17, p.E4). He concluded by recommending that the show come to Toronto. Well, Mirvish Productions must have been reading his column - they've done it!

"Chess The Musical" will run during Sept.-Oct., 2011 at the Princess of Wales Theatre, Toronto:

http://www.mirvish.com/shows/chessthemusical

I've asked them for a few complimentary tickets in exchange for helping to promote the show in the chess community. (I don't know if we'll get them.) Anyway, I think it would be a great event to take in - and good for the chess community to show its support for such an attention getter for chess!

Mirvish Productions Group Sales offers a big discount on regular prices. Do you think you will attend a show? Would your Chess Club be interested to go together? Would you give up a chess night to do that?! Please post here with your thoughts.

Thanks,

David

Jonathan Berry
02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
On my first visit to England (what is a Barbican, anyway?) in 1984 I happened to see a poster for a single performance of the musical Chess to go on that very night. Staggered by the providential nature of this experiment, I rushed to the ticket window, only to find that the performance was sold out. Sic transit cantaria. Or something. That was one of the times it would have been useful to have a "Press Pass". In my experience, there is no such thing, passes may be issued on an event-by-event basis, meaning planning and preparation, not serendipity.

Decades later, at the closing ceremony of a US Championship in Seattle, a local young professional group did excerpts from Chess, and very nicely.

Now, after 27 years, Chess comes to the Centre of the Universe! (though I have a feeling, not for the first time).

Valer Eugen Demian
02-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Amazon and its impressive collection of such performances is still the best source to make up for lost opportunities. Here is the direct link for this one:
http://www.amazon.ca/Chess-Concert-Soundtrack/dp/B0028SVXVM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1298508713&sr=1-6

Enjoy! :)