PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Chess League

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Today I've bumped into US Chess League. (http://www.uschessleague.com)
Natural question - why not to try in Canada? :) then technical question: How many clubs are with internet?

Lets start to brainstorming, and maybe the next year we will kick with League :)

Ken Einarsson
10-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Today I've bumped into US Chess League. (http://www.uschessleague.com)
Natural question - why not to try in Canada? :) then technical question: How many clubs are with internet?

Lets start to brainstorming, and maybe the next year we will kick with League :)

The club does not necessary need internet as the games could take place at a home or at an internet cafe (maybe some trouble with noise). To make this happen we cannot undertake the same concept as in the states otherwise all the teams will come out of Toronto.

Possibly it can take the form of the teams must be formed with a total rating ceiling (total of the four players rating as of a given date) and a stipulation of players from certain classes (otherwise we may have a team as in the US team championships 3GM and one 600 rated person - followed the rules of the rating ceiling but not the intent of the teams composition)

Using this maybe teams can be formed in various cities across Canada. Also maybe it can be expanded in the future when the kinks are worked out to include say Junior teams, Canada vs USA, etc.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-09-2008, 02:39 PM
To make this happen we cannot undertake the same concept as in the states otherwise all the teams will come out of Toronto.
True. It really makes me sick reading this "2. Each match consists of four players from the roster whose average rating is no more than 2400.75". Thus, it must be the Canadian concept :)

The club does not necessary need internet as the games could take place at a home or at an internet cafe (maybe some trouble with noise).

In my vision, the players should play in one place like a team. It is not so important where they would meet. Some libraries offer wireless network and have silent/study rooms.

Possibly it can take the form of the teams must be formed with a total rating ceiling (total of the four players rating as of a given date) and a stipulation of players from certain classes (otherwise we may have a team as in the US team championships 3GM and one 600 rated person - followed the rules of the rating ceiling but not the intent of the teams composition)

I think, the team composition should be based on a player's dependence to the club, and not on the player's rating. Maybe the first year would have very uneven teams. However, if the league grows, the divisions (sections) may form to level teams' strength.

Ken Einarsson
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
This concept would work well here in Winnipeg as long as average rating is not too high and that the team format would include class players. I am quite sure that we can easily form several teams here from Winnipeg. Who knows once it gets established maybe the teams can be tiered such that stronger teams play in the first tier and the majority of us class players play in a lower tier.

ps In Winnipeg, we have a team tournament event every June and it is one of our most successful tournaments that we hold every year. This is just a variation of this and I believe that it can be sold here and can easily form several teams to play in this fledgling league.