PDA

View Full Version : Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

Bob Armstrong
10-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Item # 13 - The CFC Youth Program ( 2010 WYCC/CYCC ) – Operation

The introductory post is by Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator.

We had successful CYCC in Windsor this year.
Big thanks to John Coleman, Patrick McDonald and their team for this event!
For WYCC to be held in Greece October 19-31 we have registered 25 players:
The official Canadian representatives:
Open U18: Aman Hambleton
Open U16: Roman Sapozhnikov
Open U14: Tanraj S. Sohal
Open U12: Guannan Terry Song
Open U10: Yuan Chen Zhang
Open U08: Joshua Doknjas
Girls U18: Marguerite Fan Yang
Girls U16: Alexandra Botez
Girls U14: Regina-Veronicka Kalaydina
Girls U12: Jackie Peng
Girls U10: Kelly Wang
Girls U08: Andrea Botez

Additional players:
Open U16: Jerry Xiong
Open U16: Michael Kleinman
Open U14: David Itkin
Open U12: Edward Song
Open U12: Mark Plotkin
Open U12: John Doknjas
Open U10: Jason Cao
Open U10: Joseph Bellissimo
Girls U14: Rebecca Giblon
Girls U12: Melissa Giblon
Girls U10: Minya Bai
Girls U10: Janet Peng
Girls U08: Nicole Birarov

Team Coach: correspondence IM Vladimir Birarov,
Head of Delegation: Andrei Botez,
2 Journalists: Andrew Giblon and Victoria Doknjas.

The criteria employed for additional players selection are:

1. Finish 2nd or 3rd at CYCC,
2. Highest rated player in a category,
3. Sibling of an invited player,
4. At the discretion of CFC Executive/Youth committee.

All additional players cover all their expenses by themselves.
Unfortunately, the selection procedure is not described clearly in the CFC Handbook, and that caused some controversy.
I would like to ask an advice from the Assembly of Governors:
How should we update the CFC Handbook to make it clear?

Michael von Keitz
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Michael, can you expand on criterion number 3 (sibling of an invited player)? Are there some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this, or can some child that has barely touched the pieces potentially compete under this scenario?

Christopher Field
10-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I see this as ambitious and worthwhile.
Bob Armstrong's analysis suggests that it will most likely be revenue-positive. It will be important to monitor and do everything possible to maintain participation close to current level. What was the participation in 2010?

One question: using the international time control is important. It gives our players experience with it, including those who will represent Canada. I do not think that a one-day option at 30 minutes per player should be included. At least a full week-end or equivalent is more appropriate. I don't think players travelling a long distance, many with their parents, will appreciate a one-day rushed event.

Michael Barron
10-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Michael, can you expand on criterion number 3 (sibling of an invited player)? Are there some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this, or can some child that has barely touched the pieces potentially compete under this scenario?

Michael,

I don't think we need some minimum rating/experience requirements tied to this - I believe, we could rely on parents' common sense.
The siblings could participate at WYCC as accompanying persons - in any case this event could be a great inspirational experience for young players.
For example, this year little Neil Doknjas and Alon Birarov will go to WYCC, but won't play. I hope, they both could be a good addition to Canadian Team in future years...
The only formal requirements - the siblings have to be CFC members in good standing and CYCC players.

Michael Barron
10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I see this as ambitious and worthwhile.
Bob Armstrong's analysis suggests that it will most likely be revenue-positive. It will be important to monitor and do everything possible to maintain participation close to current level. What was the participation in 2010?

One question: using the international time control is important. It gives our players experience with it, including those who will represent Canada. I do not think that a one-day option at 30 minutes per player should be included. At least a full week-end or equivalent is more appropriate. I don't think players travelling a long distance, many with their parents, will appreciate a one-day rushed event.

Christopher,

For YCC qualifiers discussion we have a separate thread # 14 - please post your question there.
For CYCC, of course, the international time control is necessary.

Michael Barron
10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Dear Governors,

I would like to clarify:
The CFC Youth Program includes not only WYCC/CYCC, but other international youth competitions as well.

In particular, please pay attention to World Youth Under-16 Olympiad:
http://wyco2010.tsf.org.tr/

We're planning to send Canadian Team this year - first time ever!
Gary Gladstone agreed to take responsibility for this project and serve as a Team Captain.
We have 3 confirmed players:
Nikita Kraiouchkine
Konstantin Semianiuk
Simon Gladstone

TCF will provide free board and lodging for a team of 4 players, but travel expenses should be paid by the players themselves.
Unfortunately, unclear situation with the CFC charitable status has undermined our fundraising campaign, and total cost of participation is about $1,700 per player - according to Gary's estimate.

Unfortunately, family of Arthur Calugar (4th interested player) can't afford it.
So, we're urgently looking for replacement.

We need your help to find a replacement for Arthur:
Please contact youth players in your province who are eligible and could be interested and let them know about this opportunity.

Michael von Keitz
10-03-2010, 01:33 AM
the siblings have to be CFC members in good standing and CYCC players.

Under the new regulations, if the sibling is required to be a participant in the CYCC, that seems to assure some level of quality. I think you have put my fears to rest.

Valer Eugen Demian
10-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Under the new regulations, if the sibling is required to be a participant in the CYCC, that seems to assure some level of quality. I think you have put my fears to rest.

This is a very good provision!

Ellen Nadeau
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
On an emotional level I understand allowing siblings of qualifiers to participate at the WYCC. There are caveats however.
It must be UNIFORMALLY applied. This means all CYCC playing siblings of qualifiers must be allowed to go or it becomes a political disaster with parents. It should not depend on who they know or what province they are from.
There is already potential for problems, little Joe Smith ranked 9th and participates but 4th ranked player(who is an only child) cannot participate at the WYCC.

Lyle Craver
10-06-2010, 05:16 AM
I don't see how it matters all that much if the CFC is not funding these additional kids and as said, there's the issue of playing politics with parents.

I think it's positively dumb to include unqualified kids in this way but as a parent I think I understand the thinking.

As long as FIDE or the WYCC organizers are not making waves this is one boat we should not rock.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
May we make life more simple as FIDE do not regulate participant's level: every CYCC player is eligible to play in the WYCC if (s)he covers own expenses (+$$$ for a coach :) ) The CYCC section winners are official CFC delegates.
and even to recognize provincial associations: provinces' champions are eligible too (keeping in mind that their provincial associations or they will cover their all costs :D

Michael Barron
10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
May we make life more simple as FIDE do not regulate participant's level: every CYCC player is eligible to play in the WYCC if (s)he covers own expenses (+$$$ for a coach :) ) The CYCC section winners are official CFC delegates.
and even to recognize provincial associations: provinces' champions are eligible too (keeping in mind that their provincial associations or they will cover their all costs :D

Egis,

Unfortunately, this suggestion is against the main CFC objective - to promote game of chess in Canada.
We should first of all encourage our players to play chess in Canada, and only the best of them - at the WYCC.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Egis,

Unfortunately, this suggestion is against the main CFC objective - to promote game of chess in Canada.
We should first of all encourage our players to play chess in Canada, and only the best of them - at the WYCC.

The CFC objectives are broader: "the knowledge, study and playing of the game of chess". The preparation and playing in the WYCC should really meet these objectives :)

Fred McKim
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately, allowing anyone to participate in the World Youth would destroy the CYCC, and our top players would no longer have their air fare covered.

Ken Craft
10-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Unqualified siblings should not be allowed to play at WYCC. It privileges a player through the accident of birth over another player who may be stronger but doesn't have a qualifying sibling. I like Lyle Craver's phraseology "positively dumb."

Vladimir Birarov
10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Unqualified siblings should not be allowed to play at WYCC. It privileges a player through the accident of birth over another player who may be stronger but doesn't have a qualifying sibling. I like Lyle Craver's phraseology "positively dumb."

Of course, there is some measure of unfairness in it but how to "qualify how is unqualified"? We had 9 girls in U8 category this year and around 45 boys in U12. It is possible that girl who took 3rd place could be much more "unqualified" than boy on 4th (or even 10th) spot. I think that to make it less binding we can omit criteria #3 and make it a part of current criteria #4.

Ken Craft
10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
By "qualified" I meant finishing first, second or third.

Egidijus Zeromskis
10-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, allowing anyone to participate in the World Youth would destroy the CYCC, and our top players would no longer have their air fare covered.

I wrote "every CYCC player" (not anyone), what means that the CYCC is not under destruction ;)

Fred McKim
10-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Missed that part....

It seems this was a distinction made by the Youth Committee and could be changed by a motion.

Vladimir Birarov
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
By "qualified" I meant finishing first, second or third.
I see, sorry for misunderstanding. I agree that there is no sound reason for CFC to make any commitment beyond criteria 1 and 2, and for all the exceptional cases we'll have #4.

Michael Barron
10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I see, sorry for misunderstanding. I agree that there is no sound reason for CFC to make any commitment beyond criteria 1 and 2, and for all the exceptional cases we'll have #4.

So, if we say:

"The criteria employed for additional players selection are:

3. At the discretion of CFC Executive/Youth committee."

- it would be better?

Vladimir Birarov
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
So, if we say:

- it would be better?

Yes, I think it is better: parents will know they can ask for WYCC participation for sibling who played CYCC but it's not guaranteed.

Fred McKim
10-07-2010, 11:10 PM
We need to specify the date being used for the highest rated player.

Michael Barron
10-07-2010, 11:52 PM
We need to specify the date being used for the highest rated player.

August 1st is good enough?

Vladimir Birarov
10-08-2010, 12:15 AM
August 1st is good enough?
If the point of criterion #2 is to allow the highest rated to play in WYCC if he/she didn't play CYCC then the date should be before CYCC, and maybe even before any YCC. So, April 1? Or the rating gap has to be big enough for the player to be sure he keeps his rank after CYCC. :confused:

Valer Eugen Demian
10-08-2010, 06:30 PM
So, if we say:

- it would be better?

I would eliminate #2 and move #3 up a slot. The highest rated player could be something very short lived especially at junior level. This way the Youth Committee could analyse each case and come up with the best decision.

Michael Barron
10-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I would eliminate #2 and move #3 up a slot. The highest rated player could be something very short lived especially at junior level. This way the Youth Committee could analyse each case and come up with the best decision.

I would think - the less rules the better! :)

2. At the discretion of CFC Executive/Youth committee."

Now it's good enough?

Michael Barron
10-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Dear Governors,

I am pleased to announce that we have a complete chess team for the World Youth Under 16 Chess Olympiad in Burdur, Turkey.

We got confirmation from Canadian U14 Champion Tanraj Sohal from BC that he will join the team.

We're planning to send Canadian Team this year - first time ever!
Gary Gladstone will serve as a Team Captain.
The players are:
Nikita Kraiouchkine
Tanraj Sohal
Konstantin Semianiuk
Simon Gladstone

Please help us to raise funds for our Youth Olympiad Team!
All donations received by the Chess Federation by October 25 from NON FAMILY members will receive a charitable tax receipt.