PDA

View Full Version : CFC Discussion Boards' Activity - Wk. of August 12 - 18

Bob Armstrong
08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
I think it is interesting to note from time to time who the active CFC Governors are in relation to the 2 CFC discussion boards ( Governors' Discussion Board; members' CFC Chess Forum ), and to look, if possible, at some aspect of member visiting activity. But in trying to do this, and get some view of the activity of the 2 boards, I seem to have been given some contradictory information, and I am not sure what is correct.

Monitoring the Governor viewers seems to be doable though. I was told that the " Members' List " feature captures all those who have " logged in " to view either board ( the stats are combined, because in effect, the 2 boards are treated in some respects as a single entity ). I have been told ( maybe an admin can confirm this ), that if a visitor does not log in, and views some threads, their name will not appear on the " Members' List " for that day.

But as I understand it, if Governors visit the Governors' Discussion Board, they are automatically " logged in " , since it is a private board, and they have to log in to get access. So we can tell which governors come to that board in a week, from the " Members' List " feature ( I am not aware of whether a governor is automatically logged in if he just visits this members' board though ).

Anyway, here are the governors who at least visited the Goverors' Discussion Board in the last week ( Tuesday Aug. 12 - 18 ) - 19 governors ( I have found that generally in a week, about 1/3 of the 59 governors do visit - of these, the majority are regular visitors, some daily, with some other governors showing up sporadically; unfortunately there are numbers of governors who don't monitor either board at all ):

Executive ( 3 ):

Bob Gillanders, President
Fred McKim, Treasurer
Michael Barron, Youth Coordinator

Non-Executive Governors ( 16 ):

David Lavin
Ken Einarsson
Hugh Brodie
Valer Eugen Demian
Vladimir Birarov
Vlad Rekhson
Michael Von Keitz
Ken Craft
Garland Best
Ilia Bluvshtein
Paul Leblanc
Nikolay Noritsyn
Aris Marghetis
Ellen Nadeau
Garvin Nunes
Bob Armstrong

I believe a high number of these governors have also visited this members' board as well in the last week. It is good to know that there is a significant core group of governors who do wish to know what is going on, and are willing to dialogue with each other and with CFC members.

But when it comes to looking at non-governor viewing, there seems to be a contradiction in what I have been told. I was told at some point, that non-logged in views are not caught by either the " Members' List " feature, nor the viewcounter for each thread. I am suspicious that this is only true re the " Members' List ", but not true re the viewcounter.

Here is what I understood happens with the viewcounter. When a post goes up, and there are no replies to it, the view counter counts visits only by logged in viewers. If a viewer for some reason should return to re-read the post, the view counter does not count that view - it recognizes that it is the same computer revisiting, and ignores it. So, if a viewer does NOT log in, and views a thread, the viewcounter will also not count it. To be counted, the viewer has to be logged in.

Now let's look at an example. In the last week, one no-reply post had 79 " views ". This would mean that likely about 50 CFC members did log in and view that thread over the last week, along with the about 30 governors. Even more impressive is a no-reply post that has been up for about 2 weeks, and has 169 views. This would mean that over the last 2 weeks, about 140 discreet viewers logged in and viewed, along with the 30 or so governors. This is modest but significant activity for the CFC members' board.

But here is the problem with what I've stated. If the viewers have to be logged in to be counted by the viewcounter, then they also should be captured by the " Members' List " ! As I understand it, it captures those who are logged in.

But what do we see on the " Members' List " for the last two weeks - no 169 viewers. It shows only 29 viewers' names. If the viewcounter only counts logged in views, then why are there not more names on the " Members' List " ??

My suspicion, is that in fact the viewcounter counts views, whether by logged in viewers, or by non-logged in viewers. If the thread is brought up by anyone, that view gets counted. And what is happening is that very few members ever actually log in. They just come and view. But their views are being counted by the viewcounter. So the viewcounter does give a good idea, with no-reply threads, of how many visitors are coming to the board since the thread got posted.

I hope all have not totally glazed over at this point - if there is in fact anyone that has stuck with this item this far !! But maybe an administrator could clarify the statistics keeping for these boards. How does logging in or not logging in affect the two statistical features I've been dealing with?

Bob