PDA

View Full Version : Governors' On-line Meeting Minutes??

Bob Armstrong
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
I am quite disconcerted to see the total lack of any positive statements in GL #5, in the Executive reports, on the April 8 - 14 Governors' On-line Meeting, one of the most successful governor initiatives in a long while.

What do we see ? - only one critical sentence by Secretary Lyle Craver in his report:

" One of the key reasons I do NOT support the present concept of the "Online Governors' Meeting" is that it is all too easy for the Governors to get into Executive matters. "

Governors can wrongly interfere in Executive administration in many ways - it is no reason to kill the on-line meetings.

And what happened to the motion 2010-18 implementing Governors' On-line Meeting Procedures? It got ruled out of order = killed ( though that ruling is now being challenged at the AGM ).

In commenting on this motion, here are the negative things Lyle had to say:

" Had he not done so I would have been voting NO to this and urge all Governors to do likewise as I feel it radically alters the powers of the President and Secretary to an extent that neither is likely to be able to function thereafter. To the proponents of this motion I say I'm sorry - this motion has NOT had adequate Governor discussion despite the efforts of its
supporters and it would forever alter how the CFC does business. Maybe that's a good thing but that's a discussion we have not had yet and until we do I cannot urge Governors to support it. "

The final insult is re the Minutes of the Meeting. We wanted all members to be able to see the work of the governors at the on-line meeting. So we at some labour, created minutes. Here is my letter to Lyle about them:

" Hi Lyle:

Attached are the Minutes of the Governors’ On-line Meeting. They were circulated to all governors for any corrections – there were none. Please publish them in GL # 5.

Also, would you consider issuing right away, a GL # 5, with just the Minutes in it, so that it can be distributed to the governors, and then posted on the CFC website, right away. This way the members/the public will learn right away what was done at the meeting, and not have to wait for perhaps 2 months for the normal GL # 5. Thanks for considering this request.

Bob, Governors’ Voting Modernization Subcommittee Chair, and Posting Secretary for the Meeting ".

By putting the minutes into a GL, they would then get posted on the CFC website where all members could view them.

What happened? No response from Lyle at all. And no on-line meeting minutes in GL # 5 !

This executive has recently been systematically attacking the powers of the governors, and ignoring their requests. We look forward to a new administration willing to work constructively with the governors.

Bob

Christopher Mallon
07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
The handbook specifically states that Governor comments will not be censored in the GLs - which means that the minutes should have been included when you submitted them.