Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.H Discussion of Saskatchewan Chess Federation motion regarding CYCC

Blog Entries

Default 5.H Discussion of Saskatchewan Chess Federation motion regarding CYCC

6A. Motion-
    The Saskatchewan Chess Federation would like to submit a motion for the 2018 Spring Online Meeting:

1) Starting in 2019, every junior player from a province that hosts the CYCC is eligible to play in the CYCC provided he or she took part in a local CYCC qualification tournament for which the organizer had remitted the fees to the CFC (i.e., any child who played, regardless of the result achieved, will have the right to go to the CYCC).

2) Starting in 2019, if junior player from any province couldn't take part in any local CYCC qualification tournament, he or she becomes eligible by remitting a fee that is split between the CFC and the provincial chess federation.

3) The exact amount of the fee and the split details are to be reviewed periodically. For 2019-2022, the fee is set at $40, with 75% going to the CFC and 25% to the provincial federation.

4) The above stipulations are optional; it is up to the local organizers to choose if they shall apply.

Blog Entries

Here is what I posted in the CFC News Forum:

Remember that the Saskatchewan Federation is basically starting almost from zero with its junior programs. There are four junior members from Saskatchewan. I would prefer to forgo the fee and make any change temporary. Alternatively maybe we can give the provincial junior coordinator some additional power to appoint players who can play. Saskatchewan is a big province geographically and it may be difficult for players in outlying districts to travel to whatever YCC's that are taking place.

Vlad makes good points about Saskatchewan.

That said the original intent of the whole CYCC cycle was that provincial YCCs help fund travel costs to the CYCC. (And any surpluses devoted to travel costs for WYCC - the whole point is that the CYCC / WYCC was supposed to be self-funding) This is particularly a big deal for BC and AB due to the higher transportation costs.

To me the provincial YCCs have no reason for existence if not to qualify players for the nationals. A system where irregardless of the outcome of the qualifying event one can buy one's way to the nationals is the antithesis of what the provincials are supposed to be about.

As such while I appreciate SK's concern I don't plan on supporting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post

2) Starting in 2019, if junior player from any province couldn't take part in any local CYCC qualification tournament, he or she becomes eligible by remitting a fee that is split between the CFC and the provincial chess federation.

3) The exact amount of the fee and the split details are to be reviewed periodically. For 2019-2022, the fee is set at $40, with 75% going to the CFC and 25% to the provincial federation.
    Under the current practice, a player can skip the provincial qualifying tournament and play in the CYCC just with the approval of the CYCC organizer. I understand that there are occasions that exceptions are acceptable, e.g. sickness with doctor prove, conflict with important exams, etc. I support that a player can skip the provincial qualifying tournament:
    1) with the CYCC organizer's approval (should exercise extreme care in such approvals),
    2) remitting a fee that is not less than the provincial qualifying tournament entry fee, split 50/50 between the CFC (goes to the Junior Fund) and the provincial federation (goes to the Junior Fund if one exists).

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Vlad makes good points about Saskatchewan.

That said the original intent of the whole CYCC cycle was that provincial YCCs help fund travel costs to the CYCC. (And any surpluses devoted to travel costs for WYCC - the whole point is that the CYCC / WYCC was supposed to be self-funding) This is particularly a big deal for BC and AB due to the higher transportation costs.

To me the provincial YCCs have no reason for existence if not to qualify players for the nationals. A system where irregardless of the outcome of the qualifying event one can buy one's way to the nationals is the antithesis of what the provincials are supposed to be about.

As such while I appreciate SK's concern I don't plan on supporting this.
    I agree. If there are few players, grouping them with another province in a central location such as Lloydminster or Medecine Hat could be a solution if it is not inconvenient to the ACA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Under the current practice, a player can skip the provincial qualifying tournament and play in the CYCC just with the approval of the CYCC organizer. I understand that there are occasions that exceptions are acceptable, e.g. sickness with doctor prove, conflict with important exams, etc. I support that a player can skip the provincial qualifying tournament:
    1) with the CYCC organizer's approval (should exercise extreme care in such approvals),
    2) remitting a fee that is not less than the provincial qualifying tournament entry fee, split 50/50 between the CFC (goes to the Junior Fund) and the provincial federation (goes to the Junior Fund if one exists).
    There is no requirement to play in a provincial championship. For example the top three finishers in each section from the previous year are automatically qualified. You can play in a YCC while skipping the provincial championship. You can be one of the top ten players in the country or the top player in your province and so on to qualify. The organizer can qualify up to three people per section. The CFC does not want to nickel and dime participants and have to do complicated calculations for every individual to decide on splits between the province and the CFC. The real cost in time and effort would far exceed the revenues collected. We have one full time employee who is quite busy already.

Other than the qualification channels mentioned, the majority players do require to play in a provincial championship to qualify to attend CYCC.

If there is a resource constraint, I do not see an immediate need to implement a remitting fee since it is not yet a serious problem of players skipping the provincial YCC (at least not in BC). We can definitely look into it again if deem necessary in the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lo View Post
    Other than the qualification channels mentioned, the majority players do require to play in a provincial championship to qualify to attend CYCC.

If there is a resource constraint, I do not see an immediate need to implement a remitting fee since it is not yet a serious problem of players skipping the provincial YCC (at least not in BC). We can definitely look into it again if deem necessary in the future.
    I think each province is different. Most kids want to go to the provincial championship but for example in Ontario we had the Ontario High School Chess Championship which was a YCC and the OYCC on the same weekend. I am told we had forty or more Windsor kids at OYCC and a full contingent at the OHSCC (where Massey High School which has most of the kids that used to go to the Windsor advanced class at Sobeys won the championship without their highest rated player). The kids at Massey fundraise all year to send an official team to the High School championship.

Blog Entries

I would have preferred that each clause gets a separate vote. I don't like clause 3. All such fees currently go to the youth fund. I don't think a $40 fee is really necessary or appropriate for this situation. Fees for WYCC are designed to replace the funds lost by someone not attending CYCC. In this case, the fees lost are just $1.50 We have earned a great deal of good will in the last few years by not being just about the money we can extract from players. I would prefer that we keep up that momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I would have preferred that each clause gets a separate vote. I don't like clause 3. All such fees currently go to the youth fund. I don't think a $40 fee is really necessary or appropriate for this situation. Fees for WYCC are designed to replace the funds lost by someone not attending CYCC. In this case, the fees lost are just $1.50 We have earned a great deal of good will in the last few years by not being just about the money we can extract from players. I would prefer that we keep up that momentum.
    I strongly agree that combining multiple clauses practically forces many to vote no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast