Thread: Some past issues re: CFC VMs

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Default Some past issues re: CFC VMs

I recently posted a blog entry and received a request to post it in this forum - here's a cut and paste of the basic text of it:

Some past issues re: CFC Governors (aka Voting Members):

by Kevin Pacey, 02-11-2021 at 10:49 PM (154 Views)

Nowadays the modern NFP act leaves the CFC less flexible in the way it can make changes - at the least a payment to the federal government may be required to change important CFC regulations. Hence at the moment there would seem little appetite for changing the way people become CFC VMs (e.g. One [CFC] Member One Vote, or possibly new qualifications to become/stay a VM), or to change the %/number of VMs chosen annually, notably so that there are less of them, proportionally, compared to the total number of CFC members (to reduce the bureaucratic overkill, or [abundance of apathetic] 'deadwood', as has sometimes been unkindly written). Nevertheless today's restrictive NFP, or the CFC's apparent lack of desire for radical change re: VMs, may not always be so in the future, or, alternatively, if the CFC should ever go under and then a replacement organization rise in its place, there could be a re-think of these aforementioned issues at some point, so I thought I'd make observations about one of said issues by recalling some things from the distant past, in case they are otherwise forgotten.

Many years ago I was a relatively new VM, and I proposed for discussion the idea that VMs should all do 'constituency work', much like politicians. Something like doing at least one of organizing and/or directing a CFC rated event at least once in the previous year, committing to be on a CFC Committee in the coming year (if not being elected as an Officer), or else donating at least $100 to the CFC. Of course, there's no way, the way things were, that each provincial organization would have agreed to be bound by this checklist when selecting their VMs, nor would the VMs then have voted on mass for such a thing if it had been made into a motion, and someone would have had to keep track of VMs' efforts with their own checklist, but I was younger then, and more idealistic - furthermore, politicians get paid, while (the all volunteer) VMs don't. Anyway, one VM wrote that a Governor (VM)'s role was simply 'to govern' - I thought that was shades of 'I'm entitled to my entitlements', though he at some point noted that at some time he'd done all the things I suggested on the short list above. Some years later, a certain IM ironically expressed to me on a message board that VMs should all do lots of 'grunt' work (i.e. organize/direct), but even non-VMs were telling him he was all wet.

Here's a link to the blog entry itself:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/en...oting-Members)
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 02-19-2021 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Adding link
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Just a clarification, in case it is needed. One Member One Vote (OMOV) refers to the possibility that one day the CFC might elect Officers/Directors by direct voting by CFC members, rather than by voting by CFC VMs. It's possible that someone who is not a VM can get elected as an Officer/Director (by whatever method), and they then automatically have VM status also (at least it's been that way).

I'd also note that, if I recall correctly, some provincial organizations (aka associations) appoint their VMs rather than have them be elected by CFC members, at their annual meetings.

For the uninitiated, I can mention that IM stands for an International Master, which has nothing to do with CFC governance.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Let me add several points to you post.

at the least a payment to the federal government may be required to change important CFC regulations.

Yes, there is an indeed a fee associated with changing Articles. However, if you read them (at chess.ca website https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules/ Legal >>> Schedule A), you'll barely find what to change in them, if you want to keep the CFC doing what it does now - promote chess (see 6. Statements of the purpose of the corporation). The changes shall be by 2/3 votes.

However, voting members (VMs, Class A members) may change By-Laws how the organization function. There is no fee to feds. Usually only a simple majority is required. Directors can change bylaws as well between meetings but those changes shall be approved by VMs to stay alive longer.

As what VMs need to do - that up to them to decide how they contribute to the CFC. Everyone is special and has unique skills.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Hi Egidijus

I'm not clear how the CFC is entirely free to change By-Laws for how the organization functions (free of charge or not) - at least in regard to the new gender requirements for the composition of the CFC Directors (which may give an incentive to have more female VMs chosen, somehow, at the provincial association level).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Hi Egidijus

I'm not clear how the CFC is entirely free to change By-Laws for how the organization functions (free of charge or not) - at least in regard to the new gender requirements for the composition of the CFC Directors (which may give an incentive to have more female VMs chosen, somehow, at the provincial association level).
    A good question. The COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) shall provide "instructions" how that might be accomplished in their way. Though, a possible way to meet "gender diversity" - normal elections for 7, and 2 are added by elected directors. Depending on initial 7, 2 are appointed with diversity in mind. Year after year, the ratio approach to 50% (5+4); alternate year (4+5), thus averaging towards 50% in time. Other way - a nomination committee specifically selects candidates to meet diversities. VMs votes.

On a broader scope the COC will release a better governance code and help files. You might look the specific thread about this on the forum.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Let me add several points to you post.

Yes, there is an indeed a fee associated with changing Articles. However, if you read them (at chess.ca website https://www.chess.ca/en/cfc/rules/ Legal >>> Schedule A), you'll barely find what to change in them, if you want to keep the CFC doing what it does now - promote chess (see 6. Statements of the purpose of the corporation). The changes shall be by 2/3 votes.
    Some provisions are legal only if they are in the Articles. This is the case of any provision aimed at limiting the powers of the directors.