Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 11.1 Presidential Campaign Thread

Default Proper Quote

[QUOTE=Michael Barron;34871

Hal, if you remember, when you was elected FIDE Representative in 2009, I told you that don't know anybody in Canada who is more suitable for this position than you.
    Thank you for serving Canadian chess community in this capacity for 11 years!

But time flies, and maybe we just need a new FIDE Representative?[/QUOTE]

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Let me share with you how I knew Hal Bond. I got to to know Hal for the past 20 years. Hal is a true chess activist, an effective governor, a terrific organizer, a superb arbiter, a diplomat, and a real ambassador. Six years ago, Hal was the distinguished speaker at Rotary and he did us (CHESSTERS) proud. Hal was then awarded with the esteemed Rotary certificate inoculating 100 children against Polio in his name. I was there!. In addition, We raised over $2,000 for chess in one day.
    Please, do not underestimate the good will and the soft power of Hal.

Respectfully,
    Mahmud
    Last edited by Mahmud Hassain; 08-23-2020 at 01:04 AM.

Default Confusing procedures

Is anyone else surprised that the polls closed today instead of Sunday? The schedule of this meeting has been confusing. Nominations closed on day 4 instead of day 3 as announced, the voting was to end on day 6, but was day 4 now really day 3, and day 7 was day 6? The notice to voters gave me the impression that voting closed on the 23rd at 6pm. Then the notices looked different. Very strange.

The voter sign in should have been public. It was not done even after Fred McKim pointed it out. This was improper and relevant.

I am also very concerned that Mahmud could not obtain a current mailing list of his voting member colleagues. The Secretary sent him a previous list. The list should always be available to all VMs. How else are we supposed to govern?

Pierre is wrong. These are voting members, not regular CFC members and we have an election. Both candidates should have equal access to the voters. This was not a level playing field.

We need to adopt some values from a Strategic Planning process. How about inclusiveness and transparency for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    While we were here having our election the Online Canadian Olympiad team was blowing up.
    Yes, my heart sank at the ChessTalk posts.

And I'll be better when such threads close.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I think you owe my friend an apology Vlad. How shabby of you. A chess keener and gentleman has the gall to take an interest in CFC leadership and you insult him. You must be very proud.
    Maybe I do owe your friend an apology. Perhaps he was not behind your dishonest actions in THIS election or in the run-up to this election when you asked me to step aside for "a peaceful transition of power". I should have understood the implied threat in that phrase. I shouldn't have tied the actions that you performed on his behalf to Mahmud. Those actions were to leak selectively about a situation in an attempt to smear me as if I committed some kind of dishonest act when I was simply following my fiduciary duty to the CFC which you were violating for largely personal reasons.

How shabby of you. A chess keener and gentleman has the gall to take an interest in CFC leadership and you insult him. You must be very proud.
    I insult the actions of his campaign which is basically you. An interest in CFC leadership? He was seeking to replace me which would pave the way for you to have a more pliable president for you to pursue your agenda of revenge. You were even proud that you had lined up a personal friend to serve on the Ethics committee which you then would no doubt use to pursue the course of action that I was thwarting and which our pro bono lawyer Les Bunning a former president advised. Even your pro bono lawyer likely the person you proposed to place on the ethics committee told you that this could end badly.

Why not run for the VP spot? That might be trading one vote that you had in your pocket for another. So it had to be president so that there wouldn't be anyone who might stop you from doing something stupid. You might have been surprised though. You wouldn't have had a slam dunk after I was gone. If you had succeeded Christina Tao probably would have resigned and you would have lots of big shoes to fill.

What is your plan?
    It is the one that I submitted to Michael von Keitz and the CFC governors in 2012. It was developed with the help of the long term planning committee which included Chris Mallon and Brian Fiedler, I have been following that plan ever since.

A Strategic Plan for the Chess Federation of Canada 20120702.pdf

What vague slogans are you talking about?
    "collaborative outreach strategies"

We have been flying by the seat of our pants for far too long.
    You may have been flying by the seat of your pants. I have not.

As I recall, you did not contribute very much to the continuation process beyond floating an idea to bypass the governors (voting members) who didn't want to give up their power and creating a new organization which would take over from the CFC with the help of your friends at FIDE who would recognize the new organization as the representative from Canada. While technically possible, it was not desirable and would have meant the dissolution of the CFC and the disbursal of the funds in the foundation to charities and not to your new CFC organized on autocratic lines.

I found a better way to get the governors on board a few months before the dissolution deadline. Simply to consult and collaborate with them on each and every detail of the new CFC structure in a series of meetings where every aspect of the bylaw was discussed and hashed out. It was a bottom up and not top down approach. I didn't even want a section on discipline but the governors did and they were wiser than I was in this as the fact that we did have a rule and procedure prevented capricious actions though there are procedures within the NFP act which would have served the same purpose.

You have been blessed with a dedicated and experienced Executive so we have been able to get way with having no plan - just maintain the course and keep an eye out for opportunities. It works for a while but we have been cutting corners to keep up and eventually it starts to show.
    Our biggest problem is a lack of volunteers and Bob Gillanders being largely overwhelmed with just his normal workload to the point where we don't have the resources to take on new initiatives. A man and an organization has to know its limitations.

Christina Tao emerging as youth coordinator has been a great boon to the CFC. She probably would have had to resign to protect her assets if Mahmud had won and you renewed your campaign for retribution.

Again we have a plan which I and some others spent many months developing.

Having been through the continuation process (I think Frank Lee and Pierre Denommee were my only helpers on that one) where the objectives of the CFC were a key component of the exercise I think I was more attuned to the requirements than you were. If you understand where you want to go, it is more likely that you will get there. With you it was all about getting a taste. The CFC always had to take a percentage on any proposed initiative. As a non-profit, the CFC should not be about making money it should be about promoting and raising chess to a higher level.
    Elsewhere are links to some of the interviews that I have given with the aim of promoting and raising chess to a higher level.

I am not interested in thwarting anyone's rise through the ranks but ensuring "a peaceful transition of power" is not high on my agenda when that power might be abused or malleable to abuse.

I don't need or want anything from FIDE beyond giving our Canadian players a fair shake which has not always happened. There is a picture of Mailli-Jade smiling and beaming after winning the Continental and the organizers with glum, unhappy faces. I am annoyed at FIDE America and would love to see a FIDE North America instead where we didn't have to use google translate in order to find out what is going on with this important tournament or that important tournament and where we were only made aware of the opportunity for a Canadian to play in the women's continental a couple of weeks prior to the event.

I am not interested in preserving FIDE power structures or artificial monopolies and so I welcome reformers like Arkady Dvorkovich.

Perhaps Michael Barron is right and we need a new FIDE representative.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Is anyone else surprised that the polls closed today instead of Sunday?
    Everyone who can't read the agenda or various headlines is very surprised.

The schedule of this meeting has been confusing. Nominations closed on day 4 instead of day 3 as announced, the voting was to end on day 6, but was day 4 now really day 3, and day 7 was day 6? The notice to voters gave me the impression that voting closed on the 23rd at 6pm. Then the notices looked different. Very strange.

The voter sign in should have been public. It was not done even after Fred McKim pointed it out. This was improper and relevant.

I am also very concerned that Mahmud could not obtain a current mailing list of his voting member colleagues. The Secretary sent him a previous list.
    Did Mahmud file the NFP act required declaration with the CFC office? That was not the previous list from what I saw. I believe some provinces have not yet provided the names of their voting members.

The list should always be available to all VMs. How else are we supposed to govern?
    It is available though it probably should not be provided in electronic format and you do have to promise not to use it in other than for the prescribed lawful purposes. Email addresses were not masked in some of Lyle's notifications. I received the latest version at the same time as Mahmud as we were both copied on the same email.

Pierre is wrong.
    He quoted the law. How was he wrong? This law was why we had to remove the voting member names and emails from the website.

These are voting members, not regular CFC members and we have an election. Both candidates should have equal access to the voters. This was not a level playing field.

We need to adopt some values from a Strategic Planning process. How about inclusiveness and transparency for a start.
    That law is specifically talking about voting members when they talk about members. Mahmud should have been able to get the list and I should have been able to get the list but the list is only as up to date as the provincial associations allow it to be.A Strategic Plan for the Chess Federation of Canada 20120702.pdf
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-23-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Blog Entries

There is little use in continuing this thread since the campaign is over.

There is little use in continuing this thread since the campaign is over.
    I agree, lets allow Vlad to have the last word. The empire strikes back, and is going to continue the 2012 Strategic Plan. Till next year (maybe).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
    I agree, lets allow Vlad to have the last word. The empire strikes back, and is going to continue the 2012 Strategic Plan. Till next year (maybe).
    The question is who is representing the Empire and who is representing the insurgents.

There is someone working on an updated plan.

One book that you can get through the Strategy and Games website or at least could at one time is "Developing Chess Talent" by Karol and Merijn Van Delft. It deals with building a chess culture along with helping kids get better at chess. It was a source of ideas for our strategic plan.

Default Congratulations Vlad - Sincerely.

Everyone who can't read the agenda or various headlines is very surprised.

Did Mahmud file the NFP act required declaration with the CFC office? That was not the previous list from what I saw. I believe some provinces have not yet provided the names of their voting members.

It is available though it probably should not be provided in electronic format and you do have to promise not to use it in other than for the prescribed lawful purposes. Email addresses were not masked in some of Lyle's notifications. I received the latest version at the same time as Mahmud as we were both copied on the same email.

He quoted the law. How was he wrong? This law was why we had to remove the voting member names and emails from the website.

That law is specifically talking about voting members when they talk about members. Mahmud should have been able to get the list and I should have been able to get the list but the list is only as up to date as the provincial associations allow it to be.A Strategic Plan for the Chess Federation of Canada 20120702.pdf
    No problem Vlad. I just got a different legal opinion and about Mahmud's VM access. Is it worth asking Les? I think this point is worth noting as we go forward.

I also want to congratulate you my friend (yes folks Vlad and I are friends) on your electoral victory. We have had a very lively discussion and a record turn out of our VMs. I am optimistic that we will emerge from this a better organization.

Blog Entries

No problem Vlad. I just got a different legal opinion and about Mahmud's VM access. Is it worth asking Les? I think this point is worth noting as we go forward.

I also want to congratulate you my friend (yes folks Vlad and I are friends) on your electoral victory. We have had a very lively discussion and a record turn out of our VMs. I am optimistic that we will emerge from this a better organization.
    I also consider you a friend and that is why this election campaign (not the election) was hurtful. I hope for the sake of chess in Canada we can get beyond it.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast