Thread: 6. Officer and Committee Reports

Hybrid View

To address Felix's point, I believe it would be neccessary to tabulate and compare the CFC, FQE, and FIDE ratings of CFC and FQE members with more than one rating. One could then compare the ratings with reasonable certainty, although other factors might come into play.

Just as an exercise, I looked up Sambuev's CFC and FIDE ratings. The gap is narrowing. In May 2011, hir CFC rating was 2753, and today it is 2727. Meanwhile his FIDE rating was 2515 and now it is 2571. So the gap has narrowed by 86 points. I know that this is only one person but it is one indicator that things may be improving.

I also believe the FIDE/CFC gap is very slowly narrowing for the top players. I think having more events rated under both systems would help.
    Kevin Pacey recently posted a link to the USCF Rating System which includes a conversion formula for CFC to USCF ratings. The difference varies by rating level.
    I would certainly support a merger of CFC and FQE ratings. Hey, I might even lose my job
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    To address Felix's point, I believe it would be neccessary to tabulate and compare the CFC, FQE, and FIDE ratings of CFC and FQE members with more than one rating. One could then compare the ratings with reasonable certainty, although other factors might come into play.

Just as an exercise, I looked up Sambuev's CFC and FIDE ratings. The gap is narrowing. In May 2011, hir CFC rating was 2753, and today it is 2727. Meanwhile his FIDE rating was 2515 and now it is 2571. So the gap has narrowed by 86 points. I know that this is only one person but it is one indicator that things may be improving.
    Two points in relation to Garland's posting: (1) CFC, FQE and FIDE events tend to be played under different conditions not least of which being time controls - for some players this is a bigger deal than others (2) one must not assume that in a particular geographical area there is a single rating pool with identical characteristics over the range 1000-2800. Mr Sambuev plays few non-masters while your average 10 year old is unlikely to play any. Juniors in areas where multiple rating systems are in place can also see huge swings - if a 12 year old establishes a CFC rating, plays in AEM or ICC events for 3 years and comes back to CFC events it is highly possible the 15 year old could be playing two full rating classes above their previous strength. I well remember one tournament about 15 years ago where I (a longtime borderline A/B player) had the tournament of my life beating one FIDE master, two experts, drawing an expert and losing to an A player (! that last game was one of those wild Sicilians where it was clear the game was simply not going to be drawn and one false move would determine the game), gaining about 150 rating points but in my very next event losing to two 1400 rated brothers who had spent all summer playing 50+ games a day on ICC ....

Fact is an essential assumption of most rating systems is that all serious games will be rated under the same system - and this hasn't been the case for at least 15 years. It's one of the biggest problems ratings auditors in Canada and the US face.