Thread: Discussion item 5A5 National Arbiter title requirements

Threaded View

Joining the meeting late, I appreciate the insightful discussion we've had. I concur with the perspectives shared by Vlad, Egidijus, and Paul. I would like to support Victor's proposal with some enhancements based on our experience in Quebec.

Key Data Points:

FQE Arbitration Levels:
    • The FQE has three levels beneath the FIDE-registered NA we're discussing: arbitre local, arbitre régional, and arbitre senior.
    • Plans are underway to phase out the arbitre senior level and to introduce arbitre jeunesse at the base.
    • Each level has its own FQE-designed courses and exams.

FIDE Arbiters' Seminar:
    • Any person from Canada can choose to attend a FIDE Arbiter's Seminar for aspiring FAs, whether in person in any country (say, during a World Youth event) or online.
    • There are no prerequisites (e.g., attendees don't have to be recognized as NAs already), just the fee payment.
    • Seminar attendees who pass the exam receive a norm that is valid for four (4) years and is mandatory for applying for an FA title in the future. These norms are approved by quarterly FIDE Council meetings and are publicly accessible via the FIDE ARB page.

Inter-province NA Experience:
    • Aspiring NAs sometimes officiate in CFC-rated events in other Canadian provinces, supervised by a titled arbiter from the hosting province, which is not a home province for an applicant.

Recommendation Criteria:
    • When my colleagues and I are asked to sign FIDE FA1 or IA1 norm certificates for NAs or FAs who work under our supervision, the regulations specify that our recommendations have to be based on a personal, first-hand experience working with an applicant in a particular tournament.
    • In Quebec, we believe that the same requirement shall apply to a recommendation for an NA. We had situations when an aspiring NA asked a senior colleague for an NA recommendation and even though the applicant was known as a solid candidate, the IA asked had to regretfully decline to issue a recommendation since they never worked in the same rated tournament.

Event Ratings:
    • FQE-only rated events should be considered equivalent to CFC-rated events.

USCF and CFC/FQE:
    • The USCF and CFC/FQE share similar philosophies.
    • Participation in USCF events should count equivalently for the required number of player events.

Scholastic Tournaments:
    • Over the years, many good arbiters came through the ranks starting as arbiters/organizers in the CMA-rated tournaments.
    • Chess 'n Math is a national association and there are tournaments in all provinces rated with the CMA.
    • I would support including scholastic events in the event quota required.

FIDE Regulations Reminder:
    • A usual reminder to the organizers and Chief Arbiters. B06.1 – FIDE Regulations for the Titles of Arbiters, Art. 6.1 is as alive as ever. Only those persons who are properly licensed (i.e., paid applicable registration fees and were entered in the FIDE ARB database) are allowed to work as arbiters in any FIDE-rated events. Moreover, as per Art. 6.2, "If article 6.1 is not fulfilled, the event may not be rated" which would put in jeopardy players' results and any player norms achieved. Please continue being vigilant and never allow a person who is an aspiring NA but hasn't been registered by the CFC with FIDE as NA yet to work in any FIDE-rated section of your event. Never include his/her name in the official TRF 16 report file as work in a tournament without a license can jeopardize this tournament's processing by FIDE and players' rating calculations.

Suggestions based on Victor's proposed regulation framework:

1. Recommendations:
    • a. Two endorsements from IAs/FAs who have worked with the NA applicant in the same tournament. The endorsing IA/FA must have a valid FIDE license and can be from any province. The tournament(s) can be in any location in Canada or the USA.
    • b. An NA's endorsement, based on shared tournament experience with the applicant, counts as one IA/FA recommendation, provided there's also a Provincial president's recommendation. The endorsing NA must have a valid FIDE license and can be from any province. The tournament(s) can be in any place in Canada or the USA.
    • c. An arbiter seminar in any province, followed by a successful test, counts as one recommendation.
    • d. An official FIDE Arbiters' Seminar and a successful test (e.g., an FA norm registered with FIDE) counts as one recommendation, provided there's also a Provincial president's endorsement. The CFC may waive the need for a second recommendation in this case.

2. Tournament Experience as Arbiter/Organizer/Player:
    • a. Minimum of 10 tournaments as an arbiter/organizer.
    • b. Minimum of 20 tournaments as an arbiter/organizer/player.
    For both a) and b), tournaments rated with CFC, FQE, USCF, and CMA are accepted. At least two tournaments shall have standard time control.

I hope this revised structure provides clarity and maintains the essence of colleagues' original suggestions.
    Last edited by Vadim Tsypin; 09-16-2023 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Fixed some formatting.