Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
I'm not sure why we're discussing a borderline "hiring" in public rather than in private.

In any case, none of my points from the private forum have been addressed satisfactorily. The proposal is bad from both of the angles you can look at it - the program itself is poorly designed, and the person proposing to run it (exclusively for 3 years!) has a bad track record.

The argument that it costs the CFC nothing and therefore has no negative potential is not a good one either. The person in question has already in the recent past used his official position with the CFC for personal reasons - something that should have gotten him removed immediately.

Mr. Porper is supposed to be fundraising for the CFC. What has he raised so far? I haven't heard about anything. I don't see a report from him. Now, before even doing anything with that fundraising job to benefit the CFC, he wants to switch his fundraising efforts to this project, which would have financial benefits for him personally.

If he really believes in the program, let him resign as CFC Fundraising Coordinator, and start the program on his own. If it is working out after a time, let him THEN apply for official CFC recognition. Exactly the same route the Ontario High School Chess Championships took with the OCA.
I hadn't thought of the public / private thing on this Motion. You may have a point, but we've gone far enough now, that we continue in public.

I think the vacant Fund-raising position was a way to have Edward become a Governor mid-term. As Editor he had expressed an interest in many possible Nation-wide initiatives. He was elected near-unanimously. There was little expectation on at least my part that he had any fund-raising ambitions in this term. I'm sure he'd be willing to resign the Governor position, if asked by the Executive.

The question here is Edward's ability to launch this initiative and be an effective National Coach. The closest thing to this he has done in Canada was to act as a coach at the 2012 WYCC. So maybe dissatisfaction should be expressed towards his performance there.