Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: CFC - Membership Drive?

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    The Fiscal records show how much we pay for administrative services (ca$45k). I suppose you could say 40% of that is for membership admin, 40% for rating services, and the other 20% for other (ie National/ International/Govrernance stuff) ..... Divide that by the number of members and you might get a rough estimate.

So this is roughly $45,000x0.40/1800 = approx $10 ... if we only include paying members this is more like $13

Because of the nature of our contract with the administrator, we might actually have to owe them 50% of any memberships given away if we exceed our contracted number of members, unless we had a special agreement.
    I may not be reading between the lines properly, but it seems like the idea of giving free 1 year memberships to CMA nationals contestants is a non-starter. There wouldn't be much point in giving them to such contestants at a discount (e.g. at $13) instead, I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Perhaps the Public Relations Officer (or someone else within the CFC if deemed more appropriate) might place special emphasis on increasing knowledge within clubs and the public of the CFC's national programs, as spelled out in the Handbook (in section 21), most especially (perhaps) the affiliate program (2106. in section 21) which clubs can take advantage of. I believe the affiliate program was asked about by John Coleman some time ago, and I believe the answer was that the affiliate program still is in effect:

http://chess.ca/handbook#section-21

If the Public Relations Officer has in practice not as yet had much contact with clubs, perhaps due to lack of time or too many obsolete club exec email addresses, maybe the possiblity of creating the position of club liason officer should be looked at more seriously.

I am also wondering how the behind the scenes project of updating club exec email address info nationally, which John Brown was involved with, is going.
    There was some discussion of the status of the affiliate program at an online meeting of Governors within the past year, I noticed after searching for 'affiliate program'. I'm not sure what exactly is the status of the program at the moment, but this ideally should be clarified and placed in the Handbook asap. Publicizing the program anew could also occur, as I've suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    One of the vision statements............
    Children love to play chess..... and I am involved in three of them.
    Vlad, this post is excellent. Anyone wanting to understand the challenges of chess organizing, and how to tackle it, should read your post. You hit the proverbial "nail on the head" several times. I would encourage you to send it in for the next issue of CNN.

Blog Entries

There was some discussion of the status of the affiliate program at an online meeting of Governors within the past year, I noticed after searching for 'affiliate program'. I'm not sure what exactly is the status of the program at the moment, but this ideally should be clarified and placed in the Handbook asap. Publicizing the program anew could also occur, as I've suggested.
    I think it`s fair to say that although this can be found in the handbook, it is effectively in mothballs. There was a lively discussion at a recent Gov meeting and Chris Mallon and I were going to work up a motion, but we haven`t got around to it yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think it`s fair to say that although this can be found in the handbook, it is effectively in mothballs. There was a lively discussion at a recent Gov meeting and Chris Mallon and I were going to work up a motion, but we haven`t got around to it yet.
    Hi Fred

In case you and Chris don't come up with such a motion long before the 2012 AGM and put it on the agenda, I'll try coming up with something of my own for you or any other Governor to look at as a possible motion to second, perhaps putting it on our private forum sometime. I'll go back and search again for the online meeting discussion that you refered to, to get an idea for what might be appealing or feasible.

I'm fishing around for any projects for my own personal agenda as a Governor next term, and this could turn out to be one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Vlad, this post is excellent. Anyone wanting to understand the challenges of chess organizing, and how to tackle it, should read your post. You hit the proverbial "nail on the head" several times. I would encourage you to send it in for the next issue of CNN.
    Thank you. I have been churning up some material for the long term planning committee and some of it is too good to discard totally but too subjective or Windsor-centric or too esoteric to to make it into the CFC's strategic plan. I will probably be able to come up with a strategic plan for Windsor junior chess with some of the discards from the material that will make it into the CFC long term plan.

I had a chess lesson in the library with one of my students today. I had half a dozen kids come over over the course of the one hour lesson to see what we were doing and to watch portions of it. I spent some time talking to the librarian who is organizing the children's chess club at the main library (one of the two children's chess clubs that I am not involved in directly). I also ran into the organizer of one of the children's chess clubs for the local Chinese Cultural Institute of Greater Windsor. I taught the first beginners class that they had with four to six students a couple of summers ago. It was an enjoyable though sometimes trying experience and convinced me that it was possible for me to teach beginners and be somewhat useful doing so. He told me that the children really loved me as a teacher and we left the door open for possible future collaboration. I parted ways with them because they needed someone to teach the class on Saturdays and that would pretty much put the kibosh on my chess tournament playing days which I am not prepared to do. In addition, we usually have tournaments for the kids on Saturdays and I didn't want to interfere with that.

Currently the CCIGW class is taught by a former Assumption high school chess teammate who I caught up with when he volunteered at the Windsor Chess Challenge along with me and a cast of many dozens of volunteers last February. I teach an intermediate class for the CAGW which is the Chinese Association of Greater Windsor.

I had a lesson in another library last Tuesday night. Same story of mesmerized kids watching the lesson. Oddly enough I ran into four or five other Windsor chess students that night along with some of their parents even though in one case of parent and child it wasn't even their library but they just happened to be in the neighborhood.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested to know if more of the aims within the CFC long-term planning committee's final report (a couple of years ago) have been put into effect. That's on top of the important CFC-FQE and CFC-CMA formal arrangements coming into existence a while back.

A former CFC President once remarked to me that at least 80% of the time that he devoted to conducting CFC affairs was spent on 'maintenance'.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 03-22-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested to know if more of the aims within the CFC long-term planning committee's final report (a couple of years ago) have been put into effect. That's on top of the important CFC-FQE and CFC-CMA formal arrangements coming into existence a while back.

A former CFC President once remarked to me that at least 80% of the time that he devoted to conducting CFC affairs was spent on 'maintence'.
    I call it the battle against entropy and at the moment maintenance is closer to 100% if you include the NFP act. I am focused on completing the new NFP Act transition as I should be. If we don't get this done we stop existing. Once we get past that, we can worry about things like long term plans.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789