Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC - Membership Drive?

Blog Entries

I think the manpower to do the mailings is quite a bit, not to mention how you would even get random (across the country ?) names and addresses.

I think we work on the expired members and we can get a 20-25% if e present a nice enough package.

We'll see what comes out of today's meeting - first.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim
    I think the manpower to do the mailings is quite a bit, not to mention how you would even get random (across the country ?) names and addresses.

I think we work on the expired members and we can get a 20-25% if e present a nice enough package.

We'll see what comes out of today's meeting - first.
    I don't know how the CFC did the random mailings before (I believe Halldor Palsson was the one who told me that the CFC did them at some point). Perhaps postal codes for known street addresses (e.g. out of a phone book) can be obtained at some post offices, but again, I don't know if the CFC did this tedious procedure.

The CFC has mailed to ex-members many times in the past, but with equally limited success, if that, I've heard.

Blog Entries

I think a nice package might be the key.

1) Great newsletter with some pages included.
    2) Nice new web seb site shots (doesn't quite exist yet)
    3) Book site
    4) Equipment site

I think 20-25% return is do-able. If there's anybody out there with information on previous attempts, now is the time to let us know what was tried.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim
    I think a nice package might be the key.

1) Great newsletter with some pages included.
    2) Nice new web seb site shots (doesn't quite exist yet)
    3) Book site
    4) Equipment site

I think 20-25% return is do-able. If there's anybody out there with information on previous attempts, now is the time to let us know what was tried.
    Someone could email Gerry Litchfield at the office (he rarely visits this discussion board I've noticed), as he may have been around during one or more previous attempts by the CFC during his previous employment as Executive Director years ago.

The advent of email should make this cheaper. Re. fred's 3 and 4. When is the CFC going to get around to negotiating an equitable deal with the CMA?

Blog Entries

E-mail will work in 5 years time, but right now we don't have a lot of e-mail addresses for expired members - as well I've already said, we want a nice looking presentation.

What do you propose regarding CMA? While It seems like our relationship has never been better than it is right now, we had a chance to turn our book and equipment business over to them and took another direction. I think there was a chance to do some rating amalgamation and the opportunity slipped.

Ken: I think you know I have never considered CMA to be the enemy (contrary to many CFC Executive members and Governors) over the years and have been one of their biggest supporters (although out here on the edge of Canada it might have gone unnoticed) over the past years.

If you become Treasurer, Fred we can chat on my thoughts. In short, we should at the earliest possible time enter into discussions re. book and supplies, jnior chess etc. Having separate book and equipment suppliers does not in my mind make sense. as well, the CMA is the greatest accessible source of junior chessplayers.

Blog Entries

I'm not going to agree or disagree with your comment about books and equipment seeing as we already have existing contracts in place. There are only a select few that know the details of these contracts and what offer we had from CMA to provide the same services.

Ideally we'd have a lot more CMA 'graduates' coming over to CFC tournaments.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that CMA take over running the Canadian Youth events (or perhaps we give them a contract to run the events). I beleive that right now we can do this and raise air fares for the winners to go to the World Youth and essentially have the organizers and the CFC break even. CMA has never been in favour of the large entry fees we charge to the national events.

I'm suggesting we enter into meaningful goodwill discussions with the CMA on many issues and see what arises.

Blog Entries

OK. That sounds reasonable. Good chat - helps bring people up to speed on things.

I'm off to pick up Tom O'D from PEI YCA Chess Camp, have him over for the traditional bbq, and then on to UPEI Chess Club for a few hours.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast