Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC - Membership Drive?

Default CFC - Membership Drive?

CFC Membership Stats as of: 2010/05/01

......... Family Honorary Junior LIFE Adult Participating Junior. Total
    Total..... 18....... 66 .....176.. 370..975............ 278........... 1883

Total Paying Adults: 975 ( Adult ) + 370 ( Life ) = 1,345
    Total Juniors : 176 ( Junior ) + 278 ( Participating Junior - category no longer exists - was the " cheap " option - how many will renew at the highter price? ) = 454

Is it a reasonable target for CFC to try to reach in 2010-11 ( fiscal year started May 1 ) an adult total of 1500 memberships?

Can CFC start a school membership drive to try to increase junior memberships to 500?

I see these as two separate campaigns ( maybe three if the Life Membership category gets separate promotion ). I would call it the " 15/5 " Campaign.

How might CFC go about this, if the goals are thought to be reasonable?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 06-19-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Blog Entries

We should be abolishing Life Memberships (well at least future sales of them in any case), not promoting them.

On the other hand I am promoting life memberships because each life membership that is purchased produces an infinite stream of revenue to the Foundation and hence the CFC. I'm not so keen on the ones we give away for free.

Blog Entries

Infinite... not exactly but okay. But small - yes.

Blog Entries

Default Volunteers

There is a thread on this at the CFC Governor's forum...

If there are any CFC members (non Governors) who would like to help with a membership or membership drive committee, reply here and I'll put your name on the other board.

I assume any such volunteer's names will be made avaiable at the AGM or the incoming Executive.

Default Membership Drive Committee - Chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim
    There is a thread on this at the CFC Governor's forum...

If there are any CFC members (non Governors) who would like to help with a membership or membership drive committee, reply here and I'll put your name on the other board.

I assume any such volunteer's names will be made avaiable at the AGM or the incoming Executive.
    Hi Fred:

Motion 2010-17 at the AGM institutes the Position of Public Relations Coordinator ( replacing the old Director of Publicity Position, which never got filled year after year ). The motion says:

" 8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC and for promoting chess generally to the public. "

I can see this positon possibly involving a membership drive.

So a number of questions arise:

1. Do you think this person should Chair a Membership Drive Committee?
    2. Or should this file be given to one of the Executive, and they would chair it?
    3. Or do you think a governor or a non-governor member could be chair ( there has been some talk among the governors, that governors should chair, because of their direct commitment to the CFC, and their position puts on them a reporting obligation that may be less strong with a non-governor )?

I am especiallly interested in your views on this, as an Executive Candidate ( for Treasurer ).

Also, I note that no one has volunteered yet to sit on this Committee. Do we have a governor who would be willing to Chair this Committee, if the Executive should decide that the Chair need neither be an Executive member nor the new Public Relations Coordinator non-executive officer?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 07-04-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Blog Entries

I think a membership committee could exist separate of this Officer (?) position.

I think everybody is placing an importance on membership increase this year, so I would like to think that at a minimum we try and get a three person group who can come up with some ideas to increase numbers. People aren't jumping out of the woodwork to serve on these committees, so I think we have to relax a bit on who can serve or chair.

A PR person has a different emphasis, and could almost be a part-time paid position, once we get the numbers increasing.

An obvious way to expand the meaning of what it means to be a junior member is to have meaningful discussions with the CMA. The CFC continues to be a niche group that does not reach out to the vast majority of Canadian chessplayers.

Blog Entries

Default Membership numbers

I guess we need to spell out what we really mean by membership drive

1) more members under the current rate structure - I assume this is what Bob G is referring to

2) more members by bringing in CMA players at a really low rate in order to swell our numbers for publicity purposes

What if all contestants in the CMA Nationals were to receive a free one year CFC membership ? I would guess that would cost us about $24 x 40 in lost revenue, but gain 80 new members. We could have a special package made up for all of these players. smaller provinces, especially, could try and put on events to get them "hooked", etc.

It seems the cold war is over with Strategy Games stores taking entries for the Canadian Open, Larry giving it a strong endorsement, and CCN having an article on the CMA Nationals.

What is the cost of servicing a CFC membership these days?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast