Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    Anyway, I noticed the gentleman in the middle picture seems to have his eyes closed, but at least the game hasn't started yet...
    The banner is a mess. It looks like it was made from three images that were poorly scanned from secondary material. The image at the left has a border but the others don't. The girl in the image at the right is looking away from centre. The idea to use red as the type colour renders it unreadable.

If you want Canadian chess images to use, why not contact either David Farrant or Patrick MacDonald, both of whom have taken hundreds of pictures at Canadian events in the past few years? The material is presumably already at a high resolution which can then be downscaled to something appropriate for the web.

I also agree that direct links to ratings and crosstables should be on the main menu. (Rule of 7 not broken so adding them won't make it look cluttered.)

Steve

Default Volunteer CFC Webmaster?

Does CFC need a " volunteer webmaster "?

The problem is the outsourcing contract for CFC. Exec. Dir., Gerry Litchfield can only work 3 days / wk ( or maybe it's 3.5 days/wk ). I was told the website was not a priority in his busy schedule, because it was not " revenue producing ". Up 'til now, he had done the few updates of the website that got done, but it was woefully out of date, not to mention any sprucing up. He simply couldn't get to it. I had sent in a list of updates, only some of which eventually had gotten done.

These recent updates were by volunteer David Cohen.

If this is a good idea, do we have anyone willing to put their names forward at the AGM for consideration as " Volunteer Webmaster "?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Does CFC need a " volunteer webmaster "?

These recent updates were by volunteer David Cohen.

If this is a good idea, do we have anyone willing to put their names forward at the AGM for consideration as " Volunteer Webmaster "?

Bob
    Hi Bob:

I guess the question would be whether there is anybody with the required skills who can also contribute their time. There there will be the inevitable problem of what happens when the volunteer makes recommendations (or changes) that people don't like? There are a lot of professionals who don't like volunteering their time to organizations since they frequently have their expertise ignored because they are just a volunteer and thus aren't getting paid. One would think it should be the other way around but it frequently isn't.

Another problem that can come up is that a lot of demands can be made of volunteers that would never get far in a strict business relationship because eventually a dollar figure has to be put on the work and only so much money can be spent. ("Blue Sky" concepts leave the table quickly when the cost of a Blue Sky is calculated.)

Steve

P.S. Despite my criticism of the technical aspects of the banner, I do appreciate David Cohen's giving his time and effort to the website.

Blog Entries

Well in this case we have a volunteer who is ignoring the recommendations of the Govs.....

My first thought upon seeing the new banner was "Are you kidding me?"

I didn't even consider for a second the request to put it at the top of the forums. I only visit the CFC site once a week or so, I'm on the forums several times a day and don't want to be looking at that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123