Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The CFC Handbook is no longer online. That's a very bad time to remove it because it contains information vital to prospective bidders on National Championships. For instance, the organiser's portion on each registration, the minimal number of rounds, the expected prize fund, the time control, the tiebreaks...

If we are expecting bids at the AGM, the Handbook must go back online soon.

Hi Pierre:

It is not offline - I just tried it.

I believe it is David Cohen, as a volunteer, who has reformatted ( nicely I must say ) the CFC Website, and updated it.

To get to the Handbook now, you click on Products and Services on the sidebar. Then you get the menue with Services - Information. Under it is the link to the CFC Handbook.

Thanks to David for his good effort.

Bob

Thank you! It is not offline, it has been moved to another section. I believe that it should have a greater visibility

Default New web site look

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée
    Thank you! It is not offline, it has been moved to another section. I believe that it should have a greater visibility
    Pierre,

I disagree. What needs to be visible is your photo on "Contact Us". Why is it not on the CFC web site? Are you ashamed to be part of the CFC? If not, then please send me your photo, and I will ask Gerry to upload it.

As for the Handbook and the rest, this is not as important as you think. One or two clicks extra can be eliminated by bookmarking the Handbook. Much more important is to keep the front pages clean for newcomers and for potential sponsors.

(Also: I organized all of the services into one place so members would see how much they get for free or for their membership.)

Regards,

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Cohen
    Pierre,

I disagree. What needs to be visible is your photo on "Contact Us". Why is it not on the CFC web site? Are you ashamed to be part of the CFC? If not, then please send me your photo, and I will ask Gerry to upload it.

As for the Handbook and the rest, this is not as important as you think. One or two clicks extra can be eliminated by bookmarking the Handbook. Much more important is to keep the front pages clean for newcomers and for potential sponsors.

(Also: I organized all of the services into one place so members would see how much they get for free or for their membership.)

Regards,

David

Elsewhere, Chris Mallon made what I thought was a reasonable observation: that the ratings lookup page was the most popular page at some point in time when he was compiling such stats. I don't see any harm in having some "quick links" available from the front page (perhaps in a less prominent box called "quick links to popular pages" or something like that). In any case, thanks for working on this long-needed re-jigging of the web site; of course, there can never be consensus on what is obviously a subjective matter as 'style'.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cohen
    Pierre,

The CFC has misplaced my photo. A photo from 2008-08-14 has been sent to the office. I am proud to serve the CFC but if the CFC is like the Montreal Chess League, the rules is most read section of the web site.

Yous should have the photograph before reading this.

Do you believe that all the persons on your list are ashamed to be part of the CFC ?

ela Kosoian
    Francisco Cabanas
    Terry Fleming
    Peter Stockhausen
    Bruce D. Thomas
    David Moore
    Ronald Hinds
    Rick Pedersen
    David Steer
    Ken Einarsson
    Stephen Lipic
    Garvin Nunes
    John Erickson
    Chris Risi
    Patrick McDonald
    Gordon Ritchie
    Egidijus Zeromskis
    Richard Keep
    Hugh Brodie
    Ken Craft
    Ken Duff
    Fred McKim
    Albert Ede
    Barry Thorvardson

I was trying to bid on something, as I did three times in the past.

Many rules have changed since my last bid, so I need an access to the Handbook. I find it unclear in the handbook, so I have sent a private message to the Junior Coordinator in order to get the missing information.

If the Handbook cannot be found, nobody will ever bid on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée
    The CFC has misplaced my photo. A photo from 2008-08-14 has been sent to the office. I am proud to serve the CFC but if the CFC is like the Montreal Chess League, the rules is most read section of the web site.

Yous should have the photograph before reading this.

Do you believe that all the persons on your list are ashamed to be part of the CFC ?

ela Kosoian
    Francisco Cabanas
    Terry Fleming
    Peter Stockhausen
    Bruce D. Thomas
    David Moore
    Ronald Hinds
    Rick Pedersen
    David Steer
    Ken Einarsson
    Stephen Lipic
    Garvin Nunes
    John Erickson
    Chris Risi
    Patrick McDonald
    Gordon Ritchie
    Egidijus Zeromskis
    Richard Keep
    Hugh Brodie
    Ken Craft
    Ken Duff
    Fred McKim
    Albert Ede
    Pierre,

Yes I do - and the only way they can prove me wrong is to send me their photo and bio for publication on the CFC's web site.

Look at the web page Contact Us - it is both a symptom and a cause of what is wrong with the CFC as an organization. Symptom - it shows who does not care about the CFC. It shows who is inactive, doing nothing for the CFC at the national level. Cause - how are you going to attract support (money, sponsors) from outside of the Canadian chess community, if half the Board of Governors is missing? We need to show outsiders who we are, and that we are united in our passion for chess.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    I don't see any harm in having some "quick links" available from the front page (perhaps in a less prominent box called "quick links to popular pages" or something like that). In any case, thanks for working on this long-needed re-jigging of the web site; of course, there can never be consensus on what is obviously a subjective matter as 'style'.
    Kerry,

I do see the harm in it - the front page links must be meaningful to outsiders, i.e., potential sponsors.

In any event, making small quick links was beyond my technical ability. Next time someone wants to volunteer, or when the CFC finds the money to hire a designer...

David

I shan't be sending a photo, David and I consider the toe of your admonitions to do so to border on bullying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast