Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The CFC needs your help

Blog Entries

Default Procedures Committee

Hi Bob: What can you tell us about this committee and it's sub-committees?

I don't believe it existed back in the early 2000's.

Default The Procedures' Committee

Hi Fred:

Eric had a couple of procedural priorities for his first term. They were: Update the governors' decision-making, and update the AGM. He asked if I would take these on, by becoming Chair of his new Procedures' Committee ( he was a member of the Committee - basically I would do the work, and he would get the final say - was OK by me ).

So I instituted 2 Subcommittees, for each of these projects, in order to keep them distinct and separate: The Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee ( Myself as chair, Lyle Craver, Chris Mallon ); The AGM Modernization Subcommittee ( Myself as chair, Chris Mallon, Jason Lohner ).

Later the Handbook updating, after all Maurice's work, became an issue. So I recommended to Eric that a third Subcommittee be added, the Handbook Updating Subcommittee - and Kerry Liles, former governor, volunteered for the position, as a one-member Subcommittee.

The Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee has now been disbanded, because it reported to the Procedures' Committee. The Procedures' Committee now has filed the Subcommittee's Motion on Governors' On-line Meeting Procedures with Lyle, for publication in GL # 5, and to go onto the AGM agenda for final vote.

The AGM Modernization Subcommittee successfully completed Phase I of its mandate - it developed a CFC AGM Model, and developed some " Notes on a Technological Implementation Plan ". But no volunteer would come forward to develop for the Subcommittee a " Technological Implementation Plan " for how the Model was to be implemented, which was Phase II of its mandate. The Subcommittee therefore went to Maurice, as Treasurer, with a request for some funds to pay someone to develop the " Technological Implementation Plan ". Maurice said no funds were available at this time, and the request might be renewed to the new Administration in July, or after the Olympiad. So the activity of this Subcommittee is now suspended 'til we again try for funds. ( Phase III of the mandate will be, if Phase II is completed, to have a " Trial AGM " , to see how the technology works and if it is successful, then implement the changes for the 2011 AGM ).

For the Handbook Updating Subcommittee, Kerry is currently actively reviewing the updating system with Gerry Litchfield, and will update the website Handbook as soon as the Governors pass the next relevant motion.

whew !!

Bob

Blog Entries

Yes, that was a mouthful. I guess that worked for last year's administration.

Hi Fred:

I forgot to mention that this Procedures' Committee was never one specifically entered into the Handbook. So you won't find it if you go looking there.

I hope the new Administration will see its ongoing usefulness. The new Administration may want to change its personnell - I would be fine with that, but as well, I'm quite willing to continue on as Chair of the Procedures' Committee, and of the AGM Modernization Subcommittee. I don't know what Eric's intentions are as the other member of the Procedures' Committee.

Bob

Blog Entries

I would think that this would best be a three person committee, so that there would be at least two contributing members, in cases where one of the members is unable to carry through on their commitment. I think the President would be a mandatory inclusion.

I may be missing something here, but I think this is what you've told us.

Procedures Committee 2009/10: Bob A (chair), Eric V
    Does the procedures committee itself have a function, or is it more of a holding committee for the sub-committees ?

Sub-committees 2009/10
    a) AGM Modernization: Bob A (chair), Eric V
    b) Handbook: Kerry L

Default Procedures' Committee

Hi Fred:

A correction to your Committee structure:

Procedures Committee 2009/10: Bob A (chair), Eric V

Sub-committees 2009/10
    a) AGM Modernization: Bob A (chair),Chris Mallon, Jason Lohner
    b) Handbook: Kerry L

You also asked : Does the Procedures' Committee itself have a function, or is it more of a holding committee for the sub-committees ?

Answer: There is no reason the Procedures' Committee itself could not take on a project. But sometimes because of wanting different personnell than the Procedure's Committee to do something, the Subcommittee structure is convenient, because you can just appoint the new people you want to the Subcommittee, and add whomever you want from the Procedures' Committee to fill out the Subcommittee. Then the Subcommittee reports to the Procedures' Committee, and gets disbanded if it's finished its mandate ( as happened with the Governors' Voting Modernization Subcommittee - the Procedures' Committee itself is now responsible to implement the On-line Meeting Procedures, and get the motion passed ). So it can be either way.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 06-15-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries

We have a number of threads on the CFC Governors board, now. If you are a CFC member (but non Governor) and are interested in any of the committees discussed in this thread post back here now and i'll see your name is put forward. CFC Governors should go directly to the thread you are interested in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123