Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The CFC needs your help

Blog Entries

Default The CFC needs your help

I have to admit that I've become a bit of a deadwood governor over the past 6-7 years. In my mind there were plenty of governors to run things and fill executive spots. I had more than enough stuff to do at the local / provincial level to keep busy.

However, I was more than happy to participate in the online forum recently, and when asked if I'd be willing to offer my name up for this year's executive, I knew it was probably once again time to step up (33 years straight as a governor now and probably 10-12 times on the executive).

So here we go - what I can bring to the table is a willingness to engage in dialogue on this forum. We need a multitude of ideas, input, and feedback to succeed.....

In addition to Executive positions there are all sort of Committee positions that people could come forward before the AGM to volunteer for.

Every year at the AGM we elect
    1) 2 members of the Chess Foundation of canada
    2) The Kalev Pugi Fund Committee

usually
    3) the National Appeals Committee

I remember there used to be a
    4) Finance Committee
    5) Business Office Committee

I know there are some newer committees in place over the past couple of years, but I can also think of some others that might be useful
    6) TD Program Certification Committee
    7) Rating Overview Committee
    8) Membership Committee
    9) Fund Raising Committee
    10) Web site Committee
    11) Publicity Committee
    12) Magazine Committee
    it's really endless. I'd ask anyone (member or governor) who has an interest in any of these to start a new thread and let the discussion begin.

Blog Entries

Default another one

13) Vision Committee (as suggested by Hal)

Blog Entries

I am willing to serve on the vision committee, website committee, rating overview committee and I'm willing to give another go at the TDOCP committee - as chair - as long as I have the full and active support of the new exec!

I'm also willing to continue on the National Appeals Committee, although funnily enough I never knew I was on it in the first place until we received an appeal Typical, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim

3) the National Appeals Committee

I remember there used to be a

I know there are some newer committees in place over the past couple of years, but I can also think of some others that might be useful
    6) TD Program Certification Committee
    7) Rating Overview Committee
    10) Web site Committee
    I am a volunteer for those committees. I am willing to run against Christopher Mallon for the Chair of TDOCP .

Blog Entries

Pierre, you were treasurer for two years and never managed to make a budget. What would make anyone think you'd get anything done now?

You also had the FQSE and did nothing but request volunteers and funds for a couple of years.

I will continue my work with the Foundation and should an opening come up for a trustee position on the Pugi Fund I will be happy to stand. I will also continue to seek out good people to stand for trustee positions that come open.
    I didn't know there was a ratings committee. I haven't heard a word from them in my 2 years as a governor, nor has there been any participation by the Ratings Auditor in any of the discussions regarding rating inflation and under-rated juniors.
    I would be happy to volunteer for a position on the financial oversight committee, which I also didn't know existed.

Blog Entries

I think Fred was suggesting that such committees SHOULD exist, not that they already do (although the Arbiters one did last year, sortof).

Blog Entries

Default Committee Work

These committees are ones that I'm hoping can be set up at the AGM, or at least the ones that we feel are of value.

The last rating "audit" committee was in place for the rating increase of 5-6 years ago. I would think the rating auditor would chair this committe. The original role of the rating auditor was to rule on complaints from members concering their ratings, but I think heading thsi probably ongoing group would be more valauable.

I've talked about rating inflation - I think the proper way to establish it is to set up some regional pools of players and examine how players in the age range of 25-40 ( and maybe this should be 30-50 - it's just the concept, I'm looking at) have changed over the period of time since the last adjustment.

It may be that the number of participation or feedback points will end up depending on the region of the country.

Blog Entries

I was on the last such ratings committee. As I recall Pierre was on it (Ratings Auditor at the time?) as was Robert Hamilton. You, Fred, also sent some input, as did a few other people.

That committee ended up being mostly myself and Robert coming up with the solution at the time and Pierre (eventually) approved it as Chair. Of course the implementation was messed up by a bug in the software (nobody's fault really) but that was never corrected despite immediate efforts by us upon discovery of the problem.

Blog Entries

Default Another one

14) Handbook Committee. I think Maurice has worked on this most recently, but probably a lot of updating could be accomplished with a couple of more set of eyes.

-------

As for the last rating committee, I felt that the implementation of the correction was too simple, but the decision had already been made to go ahead by then.

As for an ongoing formula, I guess it has to be something the rating program can accomodate. Who can tell me who does the maintenance on the rating program, anyway ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast