Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC Executive Candidates Start to Come Forward - Gillanders

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    It would appear that the current 1 year sentence is punishment enough! Masochists may opt for additional time, whereas I may consider an early release program on humanitarian grounds!
    Bob,
    I would think that getting enough time to actually deliver what you can deliver is no "punishment" but rather an opportunity. That is if one has goals and plans other than put a title on his CV. In politics of any sort, one year is too short. And regardless of the lenght of your mandate, you can always quit invoking medical reasons.
    If being CFC President is considered "masochist", what do you hope to accomplish in that frame of mind ? Or in any other frame of mind for that matter ? I read this thread closely and I am still clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    Jean, it is possible to carry the notion of conflict of interest to a harmful extreme. We are all shocked too often by real cases in government, where we see deceit and large sums of money. We see neither here. Hal's work at FIDE events are know to all, and as for large sums of money? Really?

On the flip side, having a FIDE rep who is well respected in FIDE circles will only help enhance Canada's position globally.

My vote is for Hal.
    I suggest that you make your own research on how much FIDE arbiters were paid at the last World Cup in Khanty-Mansyisk, for example. It was no pocket change. You might then be less inclined to dismiss fundamental problems through smilies.
    Regarding Canada's "respected" position in FIDE circles, do not feed your illusions about its greatness. In the chess world Canada is firmly established as a third world country with a zone status merely due to its geographical size and position. Not much to lose there. No other zone wants us.

Default Who would volunteer for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Hebert
    Bob,
    You describe very precisely what should be done and what a "Public Relations Coordinator" should do. The problem is that the job description you give does not match a part time volunteer position. It describes a full-time paid job to be tackled by a quite competent and dynamic person (a PR person), or possibly by a small team of volunteers well leaded.
    I agree with Jean and Chris. The job description is pretty scary. Who would take this on as a part time volunteer?

Chop it up into bite size pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    They all advised the FIDE Rep position took a lot of time to do right, and that it really needed to be a separate position. If this is true, which I believe it is, then it certainly should not be combined with some other executive position.
    Anyone else have any comments?
    The CFC should pay attention to avoid that his FIDE rep is not put into a situation of conflict of interest. People getting a pay from FIDE, such as international arbiters at FIDE events, should not be CFC FIDE rep at the same time, unless they renounce all paid activities offered by FIDE during their mandate as FIDE rep. Arbiters have been very well treated by the current FIDE leadership which in my view makes them dubious candidates to defend CFC interest. This for example, partly explains why Mr Bond is so keen on replacing CFC ratings by FIDE ratings. Clearly Hal's honesty as a person is not in question here, but it is human to lean towards the hand that feeds you. That hurts one's judgment.

Of course, there is also the cynical approach which may justify the status quo. Who would want to be FIDE rep without getting some advantages or some favours for himself ? There is the principled approach (the one I generally favor) or the cynical (practical ?) approach. Which one is it going to be ?

Default 2020 Vision. Top 10 in 10.

What about a 10 year plan? Why not dream a little?

My bias is toward distinctions on the world stage - both as hosts and participants. So my ultimate 2020 vision would be to host the Olympiad and win it. Likewise for every major event on the FIDE calandar.

As hosts "it's only money". My guess is an Olympiad will likely cost $20 million in 2020, the World Championship match maybe $5 - 10 million. The WYCC maybe $2 million due to its extra attendees.

Mark Bluvshtein said it well. Players and organizers need each other. For our players to dominate the top 10 in 10 years we need money and the right plan. World Class Training Academies, high level tournaments, media profile, satisfied sponsors. Paid professionals. Program budget of $250,000 per year.

It's easier to sell excellence at premium than mediocrity at 30% below cost. Let's strengthen our brand and aim highest!

Hi Bob:

In this case, the description is more like a long-term program. As a volunteer position, only so much can be expected. The volunteer would be expected to take on " bite size pieces " only ( as you say ). Over time though, it would have an impact.

Wouldn't it be nice though, if sometime in the future, CFC could make this enough of a priority, that they could turn this into a part-time paid position ! As Hal has said, there has to be some room for dreaming - even if it seems over the top.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 06-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Hi Hal:

Not to rain on your parade, but do we have bids coming to the AGM for our own domestic tournaments for 2011 - the Canadian/Zonal Championship; and the Canadian Open? We've got a few home problems to solve, before we take on the world !

Bob

Default FIDE Rep vs Arbiter Conflict

I got my first Arbiter Appointment from FIDE in 2002, I became FIDE Rep in 2009. The Arbiter payments at the World Cups which I attended were significantly less those for players who exited the first round.

Within FIDE, Canada is not known for strong players but our other contributions are well knwn and respected.

I think the question of the FIDE Elections is worth discussing. In terms of my conflict, both camps have indicated that they want me to continue as an arbiter. I have been appointed to the Olympiad as a Sector Arbiter, so if I am re-elected this summer at our AGM I will be able to attend the Congress at no cost to the Federation.

Canada is still considering its position and the will likely be deferred to the incoming assembly.

Blog Entries

Default FIDE Rep

Not everybody may realize that since day 1, the FIDE representative has been on their own as far as funding to attend FIDE Congresses goes.

Going back in time we have to thank John Prentice, Nathan Divinsky, Phil Haley, and now Hal Bond (and I'm sorry if I've missed anybody) for representing our interests.

I'm sure Hal would continue to help our International interests evn if he wasn't
    the FIDE rep (maybe some day we can actually provide support to this position, but I suspect this person's going to be a volunteer to the organization for long time to come)

I think Maurice is the only one you left out Fred alrhough wasn't Belzberg FIDE Rep for a short period of time in 2001?

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast