Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CFC Executive Candidates Start to Come Forward - Gillanders

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    Bob, wow, the degree of difficulty in your questions just went thru the roof! I am going to trend softly on this issue, bite my tongue so to speak, and self censor my comments. I see no need to open up old wounds unnecessarily, I trust you understand. The CFC has been thru hell with the restructuring and balancing the budget. Time to move on.

The relationship between the CFC executive and office staff has a troubled history. Of course, many organizations and companies do so as well, but we are hampered as well with systematic factors which aggrevate the situation. The annual turnover of the executive, 60+ governors, geography, declining membership, lack of resources, and unrealistic expectations. Add to that the occasional inevitable clash of personalities, and you get the CFC!

I would favour a return to a full time Executive Director. Giving competent people the time needed to get the job done properly is how we will improve our profile and deliver member services. I really don't believe 3.5 days is adequate. But the obvious question is: Can we really afford it?

The answer is Yes! We simply need to recognize it as a priority item.

There are other options.
    No paid staff, just volunteers.
    Part time ED, with Executives doing extra chores.
    Reduce services.

But are any of these really feasible or desirable? No.

As to increasing membership dues, let's demonstrate that we have earned it first.
    Hi Bob,

I think Gerry is a huge asset to the CFC and it is one of the main reasons the organization will post a $12,000 surplus this year...the first surplus since Mickey met Minny .

There is no doubt that there are things that have still to be done. My suggestion is to keep Gerry. He is awesome. He knows more about the operation than anyone else at this point. It is hard to find people as dedicated as him...someone who cares...someone who is doing the job because he believes in what he is doing...the paycheque is secondary.

From the surplus, you could probably afford 4 days instead of 3.5 and still end up in the black. If there are specific projects that he does not have the skills for, then you can sub-contract those projects to other people on a project by project basis based on your budget and finances.

If you lose Gerry...the red ink will begin to flow again!

Of course, I realize CFC folks know better, so now I will sit back and watch .

Larry

Blog Entries

Hahaha Larry, some will probably argue that you always lie and therefore we must do the opposite! Way to go!

I do agree with you though. Now is not the time to be rocking the boat, we only just finished plugging all the leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand
    I think Gerry is a huge asset to the CFC....
    Larry
    I agree. If you read into my comments any criticism of Gerry, it was not intended.

He is doing a splendid job.

Default Money well spent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles

Blowing $10K or more on a website is a complete waste of money.
    We do need to be frugal. I believe we can get a good website for $5k.

The rating system is also in need of a good overhaul. It does kick out a few very strange ratings on occasion. This project could be undertaken also along with the new website.

Total cost for these 2 projects would be $10-$15k.

Both projects will need to be fully explored, costed, and approved. But if it can solve all our website and rating complaints, IMHO, money well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    I agree. If you read into my comments any criticism of Gerry, it was not intended.

He is doing a splendid job.
    Hi Bob:

Good luck with your campaign, although I do think that volunteering to be CFC president is like volunteering to be captain of Columbus's fourth ship.

Steve

(Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria, and the one that fell over the edge....)

Blog Entries

Is it the ratings software that spits out odd things, or the actual system itself?

I know the way the system handles unrated players and provisional players is not even close to ideal. It is possible to be the only rated player in a tournament and still lose points!

Default Thanks, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Douglas
    Hi Bob:

Good luck with your campaign, although I do think that volunteering to be CFC president is like volunteering to be captain of Columbus's fourth ship.

Steve

(Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria, and the one that fell over the edge....)
    Thank you Steve. But I would remind everyone that I have not yet declared my candidacy for President, we are just speaking hypothetically. A policy discussion if you like, what would you do as Prez. I invite everyone to join in.

Response has been positive, but I would appreciate a lot more feedback.
    My email address is rgillanders@cogeco.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    Is it the ratings software that spits out odd things, or the actual system itself?
    what? Yes.

The rating software does have difficulties with unrated and provisional rated players in unusual tournament situations. Fortunately, when it does go wrong, the errors are usually obvious.

Blog Entries

Simple solution to that, borrowing from FIDE:

Only games vs. rated players count towards your rating.

In fact you could go farther and make it only games vs. players with permanent ratings count towards your rating. So no unrated or provisional.

Default A Presidential Campaign - Well, Almost !

Hi Bob:

What you've done ( perhaps unwittingly ) is similar to putting your foot in a meat grinder - there's no ways to go but in ! You are on an inevitable path to a Presidential Campaign declaration ( which will be a good thing ! ).

Bob

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast